Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction
This Fonseca Cadetes K.D.T. has been sitting in the humi since last Wednesday. Yea I haven't quite got this aging concept down yet. It's a Feb 04 stick. I can't remember where it came from but it died this morning a glorious death on the way from special person day at the elementary school.

Pre-Light Ruminations
These are pretty little 4.3 x 36 firmly rolled cigars that come individually wrapped in little white cheese cloth blankets. I used this ones to clean my laptops screen. It worked great. Smelled good not overpoweringly full like some but you can tell its origin. Thought there might be draw problems as this is a very firm little stick but pre-light it was very nice. I shared one with my business partner who I am trying to shove down the slippery slope with little success thus far.

Initial Thoughts
Toasted and roasted easily. This little sucker impressed me with the quality of it's construction and burn. $ 2.60 a stick I think I read somewhere. It's not even as big around as my little finger. It tasted nice. Smooth rich Cuban tobacco flavor. It was 8:15 in the morning and this really hit the spot.

Smoking Experience
No magic, no flutes just a nice little smoke. It was tasty from the first puff. Had a sweet flavor profile with woody undertones. Put out much more smoke and lasted much longer than we expected. (No we each had one not sharing the same stick) This was the 5th Cuban I had shared with Sam and finally he got that look. Didn't say anything about the stick until about ½ way thru then… this is really, really good. Another lost soul. The cigars lasted almost 40 minutes. Never got hot. Never turned to spice. Nice for the price.

Final Thoughts
This was a mild to medium smoke. If my experience is any indication this might be a good one to corrupt newbie's with without shocking their systems with a larger ring gauge stronger stick. It's the least expensive Cuban I have found and I liked it as well as a morning smoke as some costing 2x3 times as much.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Re: Fonseca Cadetes K.D.T.

Da Klugs said:
It's the least expensive Cuban I have found and I liked it as well as a morning smoke as some costing 2x3 times as much.
good review. i love the fonseca delicias as well.
i was thinking of doing a box split of nothing but machine mades... but i think i'm done doing box splits for a while. :mad:

·
-
11,412 Posts

sorry, these are NOT machine made... my fault. :c
the "delicias" are though.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts

I got three boxes in 02 and had one at Mardi Gras. If you liked an 04 in 04, wait til you smoke one in 06. These things REALLY turn on and get delicious. It is shocking that there is so little tobacco in one, and the flavor is so mouth-watering. Hard core cuban flavor in a delicate blend, with a flowery-perfumey nuance that I find in FEW smokes. And yes, IHT, they are indeed handmade. They can be had for 50 a box, although I know I paid 80.
Still, for what you get, it's hard to knock the Cadetes. Make sure you hold back a handful for a few years. Cheap does not mean non-age-worthy

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

One Lonely Smoker said:
Still, for what you get, it's hard to knock the Cadetes. Make sure you hold back a handful for a few years. Cheap does not mean non-age-worthy
Thanks. Thats what I will do. Finally have enough storage. The 30 cf humi came today. Hope it's not the Sammy Hagar version cause shes gonna be drivin at 65. Percent RH that is.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

I received a Cadet from from Da Klugs in his PIF, so I assume it was from the same box. Smoked it during lunch today. Pretty similar experience to Da Klugs. I was surprised how much smoke it put out, despite a somewhat tight draw. This was the third vitola I've tried from Fonseca and all have had a firm draw. Tons of cuban twang, though there was a note of young harshness, especially in the second half. After reading One Lonely Smoker's comments on how they age, I checked online and found a box from 2000. Hope thay are as good as this one was. Thanks Dave!

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Glad you liked it. Sorry GL you really got the short end of the stick gettin sticks from me. Thanks for not mentioning that was the "best one". :D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Nice review!

The price is right on these ISOMs. Not the best, but certainly affordable with that ISOM taste.

The Delicias has the same taste for even less! At least it tastes the same to me.... :confused:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Got in a box of these 2 days ago, BC VEL JUN00. Let them sit in the humi for 2 whole days and grabbed one to put the torch to it. Draw was again a bit tight. Nice medium bodied, rich tabacco flavor with tones of cedar and nuts. Lots of smoke. This one had a sweeter flavor that was quite pleasing. I like these better than the Delicias I've had. Richer flavor and more smoke. For the price, these are a great weeknight or lunch time smoke. After a few pulls, I grabbed a glass of Dalmore Cigar Malt, which was a good match with the sweet smoke :al

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

CoventryCat86 said:
I'm not a fan of these at all, way too mild for me.
That is the Fonseca! but through aging, it will give you a very tasty cigar, but still on a mild side.
Another great review Amigo!

Salud

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

GOAT LOCKER said:
Got in a box of these 2 days ago, BC VEL JUN00. Let them sit in the humi for 2 whole days and grabbed one to put the torch to it. Draw was again a bit tight. Nice medium bodied, rich tabacco flavor with tones of cedar and nuts. Lots of smoke. This one had a sweeter flavor that was quite pleasing. I like these better than the Delicias I've had. Richer flavor and more smoke. For the price, these are a great weeknight or lunch time smoke. After a few pulls, I grabbed a glass of Dalmore Cigar Malt, which was a good match with the sweet smoke :al
I got a box of these this week with that same code. Unfortunately I've already pitched at least three of them because they had no draw whatsoever. They did give me a head rush trying to get some smoke out of them, but it wasn't pleasant.

I've had a couple of these that have had a decent draw, a little tighter than I would like but it worked, and the flavor is nice. They are mild but they do make a great quick smoke when you want the Cuban flavor and they are reasonably inexpensive. I don't know yet if I'd get another box of these or not, it depends if I have better luck on the draw with the rest of them.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

We both should have checked with the elders on manufacturing years. My KDT's have been good 04. Firm like GL says but good. Got a couple boxes of 00 sticks in other lines and they have been iffy as well. We got a lot to learn.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts

Smoked this cigar last night. It came courtesy of SeanGar. Thanks again! :) Incidently, it was my very first Cuban... ;)

I've heard people talk about that special aroma that is unique to Cubans. Well, I believe I detected it. That little cigar smelled gorgeous. Clouds of flavorful smoke eminated from that little stick. I'd say it was a medium bodied cigar. I did think the draw was a bit tight. Kind of goes with what the other reviews state.

Overall, a very nice smoke. Especially if you are looking for a less than 60 min stogie.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

Got one of these in a recent air raid. Wonderful smoke from head to foot. I had NO draw problems with it at all. Think I was told it was from around '02. For that kind of money, it was great for a breakfast, lunch, or commute smoke. Ordered a bow within 2 days of this smoke.

Glad I got my coolerdor up and running. 5 boxes and counting.

WATCH OUT BEEEELLLOOOOOOWW !!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts

I smoked one of these last night. It was maybe...maybe...1 year old. I second everything said by Da Klugs. Lots of smoke, not harsh whatsoever until I got it down into the last half inch. Draw was a bit tight. Not too bad on mine, I like to roll my smokes around on a table with the palm of my hand a little before I smoke them. I would smoke another one if I had it.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Took em up to 67%. Had one this morning. Very nice. Draw was perfect for the whole stick. Seemed more flavorful that the first couple.

·
-
11,412 Posts

i had the one D. Gen sent me on the way from dropping everyones party sp2s off at the PO...

fine draw, nice flavors...

·
Registered
21,743 Posts

When so many of you talk about how much you like a cigar and what a great deal it is.... you know how bad you're screwing with my head/wallet right?

Well.... I'd like to complain more but I'm off to COH :c

EDIT: they're on their way.... I love you guys but.... :sb

·
Registered
21,743 Posts

Sometimes you do not need to be shoved down the slope.....

Other times a suggestion is plenty!! :D

I missed the mail man yesterday so I had to go get my package at the PO. Me and the missus had lunch afterward and then it was off to our favorite coffee house for a cup just hanging outside with the dog. Well, I figured damn the rest period! I grabbed one of these babies and am so impressed. Pure ISOM in a compact size... practically a mini PSD4... OK, maybe that is a little bit of a stretch but not by far. They stink and have that dark grey ash... everything you hope for.

If it was that good after shipping and no rest.... whew I just wonder how much better it will get?

Thanks go to Da Klugs for the great review and all of the other mentions from the BOTl's... this one is a winner and will definitely be a 24/7 smoke in the humi. :z

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.