Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Will work for Padrons
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be leaving on Tuesday for a wedding in NYC. I just purchased a cigar caddy for the trip, but I found the foam disk in the 5 ct caddy to be horrible. So I found these small tubes to fill with beads. But my sensible side has started to think that the Cigar Caddy might look like I am trying to smuggle something illegal through security with these two tubes of beads inside. When it goes through the xray machine I have a feeling that they are going to open the cigar caddy up and take away the tubes or worse. Has anyone traveled with a cigar caddy and beads? What do you guys use as humidifying devices in your cigar caddies? My dad said I should be fine with it in my check in, so I might just shove it in there but I rather not have any trouble at all with airport security. I doubt that the TSA agent is going to know what silica beads are and how they are used for cigar humidification... I am not trying to smuggle drugs or a bomb through security I am just trying to enjoy some great smokes in NYC.

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
307 Posts
I flew into Chicago a few months ago and had my 15ct traveldore in my checked bags without issue. I did not have beads though. I would think you would be ok, I mean, I DID have a handgun with it as well. It sucks that we even have to worry about this!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have travled a lot with cigars. Always use a standard "traveldor". Nothing fancy about it.
For the time they are checked even overseas, they do fine. Leave the beads home and enjoy a couple more cigars.
If they go into your checked case, they will be gone. Call ahead and verify that you can keep them in your carry on. I have several times.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I travel with my five count and keep it in my carry on. Been through Orlando, Reagan and Baltimore. No problems. I would hestitate to place it in my checked as it would be real easy for it to disappear.
When I got my caddy the B&M (in Florida) said not to use the humidifier (round disk) that came with it as it would add TOO much humidity. Mine seals airtight and I verified, sans cigars, by dunking it in water for 5 minutes. Interior was dry after that time. If you add water to the humidifer you'll end up over humidifying the cigars.
Also, if your cigars are at the correct humidity then you shouldn't need the beads for regulation and, as suggested already, add some extra cigars.
Reminder if you're worried about opening the caddy and "losing" humidity, is that the reality is that you lose very little for the short time you open it to get a cigar out. It's not like it sucks the moisture out immediately.
Hope this helps with your decision.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I agree with what everyone had said. It should be fine in your carry on, and leave the beads or whatever at home! You'll get to enjoy an extra cigar or two.

Awhile back they had a post about a forum member losing a few cigars in his luggage while the traveldor was in his checked suitcase. I'm not sure how things worked out for him, but I'm sure he ended up losing the cigars in the end!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I recently flew over seas (Spain) and had my traveldor in my carry on bag. NO problems at all, they didnt even look at it after it went through the xray machine. and i agree with everyone else. skip the beads and bring some more sticks!!!
assuming you will only be gone a few days, you will be fine, people dry box their smokes before smoking em and the could be a few days time, so just look at it as you are just dry boxing before smoking :)
Happy travels!!!

·
"Keeping it lit"
6,899 Posts
Yes, I think you should skip the beads and take more gars.

Yes, you should carry them on the plane with you.

If you are going to Palm Springs... you might need to slightly moisten the foam disc once you have arrived and are opening and closing your traveldor... but most places I would leave it dry. Especially if you normally store your sticks at 70%.

If we were to set up a 15 or larger count traveldor then we would want to have a humidity device, but I think at that pont we should convert a black/opaque device (that originally had foam in it) That way they aren't seeing the beads like they would in a clear case or tube.

I am going to have to take my own advice and set one up like that. Previously I have been using a tube with 65% beads in a 15 count but I haven't flown with it yet... So thanks for raising the topic! :thumb:

And____OUT!:bolt:

·
Registered
932 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Save the space, add more cigars, the thing is air tight. I have traveled with mine in my carry on baggage (and with a cutter in one of the bags pockets, no lighter though) many times and to several destinations with not even a raised eyebrow from the TSA.

·
Will work for Padrons
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not worried about losing humidity but with just the regular humidifier in there and my hygrometer it reads 76% humidity (Salt tested and its 1% off). When I put the beads in there it reads 68%. BTW the two tubes of beads are small enough to fit under any Torpedo cigar (cigar placed at the upper half of the cigar caddy). I have five Torpedo cigars in there with enough space for five tubes of beads, so the beads aren't really taking up space in my humidor. I am just worried about keeping the humidity at or below 70%. I keep all my cigars at 65%, btw

I'll see if I can post a picture when I am done packing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.