Cigar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
flipflop's... Georgia Junkyard Dawg 9.5 Chili
(Serves six to eight, great for football game days)

NOTE: You can make this dish the day before and reheat it for tailgating or reheat for eating at home during the game on tv. It's just as good the next day.

Ingredients:

- 2 oz of vegetable oil (I use Wesson)
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds of cubed beef; cut into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes (lean chuck is best)
- 1 cup sweet onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup bell pepper (chopped)
(You can also add 1/4 cup of chopped celery if you wish)
- 3 large garlic gloves (minced)
- Four oz can of diced green chilis (drained) or 1 fresh green chili (diced)
- 1 can of red beans (drain off the juice)
- 3 TBSN chili powder
- 2 tspn ground cumin
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn coarse black pepper
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon (you can leave this out of you wish; I like the taste it gives)
- 2 TBSN of jalapeno sauce (or habanero sauce if you want the dish hotter)
- 3 cups of water
- Jasmine rice or crunchy tortilla strips

In a chili pot or 5-6 quart frying pan or sauce pan (sauce pans are best), heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef. Use slotted spoon to remove beef and drain on paper towels. Set beef aside.

Add onion, bell pepper and garlic to drippings still in pan (add 1 tspn more of oil if you need it); stirring frequently, cook until tender (about 5-6 minutes). Stir in chili powder, ground cumin, coarse black pepper, cinnamon and salt and cook 1 minute. Add water and green chilis and bring to a boil.

Stir in beef, red beans, jalapeno/habanero sauce and reduce to simmer. Cook uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir every 15-20 minutes. (Start checking beef at 1 1/2 hours to see if beef is tender. If beef needs more cooking, keep checking beef every 6-7 minutes until it gets to desired tenderness.)

Served over Jasmine rice is my fav way to eat it. If you're taking it tailgating, recommend serving it over crunchy tortilla strips.

You can garnish to taste with scallions, cheese, sour cream on top.

Goes great with crackers or baked sourdough rolls/bread as a side.

What to drink with it? BEER of course!

PS: The 9.5 in the name does NOT refer to how "spicy hot" it is. I means it's a 9.5 on the 1 to 10 scale of the "Fart Index." ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts