Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this three drawer glass top humidor that I received as a gift years ago. It never did seal very well. At one point I added wood shims to eliminate large gaps, but it still didn't seal well, so I'm going to try some clear silicone. The outside is pretty beat up from me moving around so much that it looks really sad. I will attempt to give this guy a new life.

I thought about trying to sand and refinish, until I found this stuff.

Here is the first coat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I added wood shims to eliminate large gaps, but it still didn't seal well,
I’m not sure if I’d bother with the outside, before straightening out the more important part, the inside. Silicone & shims doesn’t sound like a great foundation. Caulk is the contractor cure-all, I get it.

Stop the leaks BEFORE applying makeup.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not sure if I’d bother with the outside, before straightening out the more important part, the inside. Silicone & shims doesn’t sound like a great foundation. Caulk is the contractor cure-all, I get it.

Stop the bleeding BEFORE applying makeup.
I agree with you, but what would you suggest other than just buying a better one. The drawer fronts are screwed to outside of each cedar shelf. I may end up pulling the fronts off to see how well the shelfs actually fit in the housing. So far I have a much better seal than it did when I started. We shall see how well it maintains humidity.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
29,535 Posts
Drawers and glass tops are notorious for temp and R/H swings just saying!
Best of luck!
Let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I may end up pulling the fronts off
I think that’s where I’d start. How the drawers and lid interface with the box body is the really important part. If they’re loose & sloppy, RH control will sure be hard to maintain. To make a good seal there is going to be a test of your woodworker skills. Machining in a groove to manufacture a true overlapping steal isn’t going to be easy. I know I don’t have the right apparatus for everything that’s required.

I was wondering as well, where are the other shims? Were you trying to tighten up sloppy 45 deg miters at the corners? If the corners aren’t square, you’re even further behind the curve and it may just be unrepairable. This is a great learning project, if you have the time. Keep the pictures coming... ya got my attention.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Best of luck!
Tupperware & Rubbermaid are ugly.
But they work.

The first ‘pretty humidor’ I bought when I first started smoking cigars years ago is a collection spot for pens & pocket change now. Looks great, but not worth a darn for long term cigar storage.

There may be high priced wood humidors that work great. I went the Tupperdor route & spent the savings on cigars. YMMV

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that’s where I’d start. How the drawers and lid interface with the box body is the really important part. If they’re loose & sloppy, RH control will sure be hard to maintain. To make a good seal there is going to be a test of your woodworker skills. Machining in a groove to manufacture a true overlapping steal isn’t going to be easy. I know I don’t have the right apparatus for everything that’s required.

I was wondering as well, where are the other shims? Were you trying to tighten up sloppy 45 deg miters at the corners? If the corners aren’t square, you’re even further behind the curve and it may just be unrepairable. This is a great learning project, if you have the time. Keep the pictures coming... ya got my attention.
I will have to take some better photos so you can see what I'm up against and trying to do. Basically the thing is built like your standard dresser drawer. It's relying on the drawer front to form a seal with the rest of the cabinet. There is no real overlap like you would see on a hinge-top humidor. The cedar boxes (shelfs) are attached to the drawer fronts and make up each drawer. When I got it, I could move the drawers up and down quite a bit and a little bit side to side. I added additional pieces of wood to prevent the cedar box from moving. That's what I meant by "shims". This helped a lot with retaining RH, but it still needed a better seal. I used a small bead of clear silicone as a gasket and re-seasoned. It's been holding at 79% since yesterday morning. I'll give it another day or two and probably start getting ready to move some sticks back in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tupperware & Rubbermaid are ugly.
But they work.

The first ‘pretty humidor’ I bought when I first started smoking cigars years ago is a collection spot for pens & pocket change now. Looks great, but not worth a darn for long term cigar storage.

There may be high priced wood humidors that work great. I went the Tupperdor route & spent the savings on cigars. YMMV
I'm a sucker for wood and I enjoy the maintenance. That is, if it was even remotely somewhat predictable. Not that this thing is anywhere near a piece of art, but I would like to see if I can get it working properly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best of luck!
Thanks! I'm taking all of you along for the ride, so I will certainly keep you posted. Even if I end up tearing this thing apart and robbing it for the shelves to put in a coolador. Something will happen. LOL!

·
Super Moderator
17,204 Posts
Don't use regular caulking. Use aquarium caulking or some sort of food grade sealant. No smell to transfer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: wisdomwalker
1 - 12 of 12 Posts