Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dosidicus Pipa
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the thread title says, this is my first review. Comments - both negative and positive - are appreciated. I will also post this to the review form section (if that is what it is called).

Size: Robusto

Weather: 50-something clear fall day

Cut / lighter: Guillotine and cheap-ass torch from the bargain bin at my B&M

Tasty beverage: Pipeline Porter (with 100% Kona Coffee!)

Company: See attached

Smoking time: 80 minutes

Storage/conditioning: Two months of rest after picking up from my B&M, stored at 70% in my humi. Lit her up with no dry-boxing.

Pre-light - this cigar was reviewed in other places as being tightly rolled. Not the case with this specimen. Pre-light draw was just about right. There were only a couple of prominent veins, and everything was well put together. Big-ass foil band looks nice, but it is way too big, IMO.

Fire! Gnawed on the stogie for a while before clipping the cap. I've gotten into the habit of doing this as it seems to make for a more consistent and clean cut. Don't know if this is a function of good practice or covering for my equally (see lighter) cheap cutter, but it works. Even after pulling the cigar directly from my humi at 70%, it was easy to get going and immediately produced plenty of creamy smoke.

Shady the mutt supervised (begged for me to throw her rope toy) as only a lab/smooth border collie can. She's hyper as all get-out, and always approves of "dad" having an hour or so to play fetch. Shady seemed to approve of this maduro.

Initial puffs had nothing special to show. The cigar started off with what I would call "up-town swisher sweet" and immediately mellowed to a LOT of maduro flavor. I quite liked it - coffee, chocolate, and a simple retrohale were the watchwords with the first half of this cigar. Had to remove the band before the half - why do they make these things so big?

As I moved into the second half of the cigar retrohaling showed a bit more kick, and I picked up a bit of a brown mole flavor. Not the little bastards that ruin your yard - the tasty south of the border sauce kind. This was what I would consider a light-medium body cigar of average strength - not enough vitamin N to give you that just off the roller coaster feeling, but enough to let you know that you've just had a cigar.

The end of the stick saw a slight pick up in body, and retrohaling left me with a bit of pepper. Overall, a smooth maduro flavored smoke, nothing more. This would be a good cigar for those times when you aren't worried about much other than having a decent quality cigar while ___________. The recent golf thread would probably be a good home for the Triple Play, as would a cold winter morning of duck hunting. Note the crappy quality of the blackberry picture and the paint stain on my patio floor - both essential parts of the experience.

The cigar was well constructed, and the cap and wrapper had no issues with staying together. Burn was straight and consistent, and I neither re-lit it nor was forced to correct for canoeing or otherwise uneven burn.

Once all was said and done, this was a pretty good - if simple - cigar. If you are looking for boldness, Nicaraguan pepper/strength, or complexity, move on. I would recommend this as a solid maddie for newbs or experienced BOTL's who didn't want a smoke requiring a black belt in cigar-fu to enjoy.

Attachments

·
Dosidicus Pipa
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice review. Straight forward, clear and uncluttered. I like it.

Get us some more Pron. Personally, Id like to see a pre-cut/pre-light pic of the stick.
Thanks to all for the input, and thank you Scott for the constructive criticism. I was really hoping for some of that!

·
Mad Hatter
133 Posts
I had one of these from a local B&M on thanksgiving and my experience was total opposite of this. It was like smoking a dog rocket. I love the Camacho Triple Maduro, and I was recommended this cigar as a substitute. It was squishy and fell apart on me, and the flavor was akin to smoking a paper bag that had been out in the rain. It was just awful. Additionally, two other cigars I purchased from this B&M here ALSO shared these qualities. A La Flor Dominica and an Avo Heritage ( I LOVE AVOS, I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY IT WAS SO AWFUL! )

Wonder if he's not storing them right?

·
LOB Underwater Director
1,622 Posts
That sounds more like a problem with the B&M David. Avo and LFD cigars are generally solid so for both of them to be awful seems highly unlikely without crappy storage.

·
Dosidicus Pipa
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds more like a problem with the B&M David. Avo and LFD cigars are generally solid so for both of them to be awful seems highly unlikely without crappy storage.
I agree. I've just had one Turrent, but it was spot-on for construction with about a perfect draw and no cap/wrapper/burn issues. That said, I do know that it is a bud-gar.

On the other hand, Avo is my cigar muse, even though they are milder. I have never seen one that wasn't exemplary in construction - I would point to the B&M.

·
Dosidicus Pipa
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
My experience with the AT Trip Maddie is good. I like Padron's Maduros (all varieties) so I have a high bar to bounce off of. It's kinda like a Padron minus the spice component which makes it completely different actually. The suspected dark flavors of dark roast coffee and dark chocolate are the main components and they're consistent from start to finish. I obviously like these flavors so I'd glady light up one of these anytime, but I'd choose the Padrons if I only had one I could buy. This cigar is creamier than a Padron and so for a change it was right on target...smooth, definitely milder than a Padron, but strong enough for a fan of the stronger sticks. Pretty good at $6 a stick. I agree about the band: get it out of the way before you get going and if yours is like the several I've smoked you'll have a good burn and no interuptions for well over an hour with the grand toro.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.