Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm gonna like this place, looks like a great crew here.

I've been lurking and reading the posts on the board here for a couple of weeks now, and I thought maybe it was time to raise my hand and officially check in as a newbie. In the course of looking around, I'm mightily impressed by the tone of the forums here. As far as I can tell, these forums are moderated by and populated by gentlemen (and ladies), which in this day and age of internet flame forums puts places like this a distinct minority. I maintain and moderate a message board in another of my fields of interest, and am keenly aware of how important respect and dignity are in the life of an ongoing internet community.

You all seem to have that in spades. I LOVE the "No Cigar Snobs" credo

A little about me: I'm a 46 yr old married father of three. I own and operate a small cabinet and custom furniture making shop in Santa Fe New Mexico, and I love the leaf. I'm told it's a disease, and I don't have to be ashamed anymore. I've been a casual cigar smoker for years, but in the last year and a half, I've fallen in with bad company. Unfortunately bad company with good connections. I'm smoking at least one cigar a day, and it's getting worse.

I've got a few favorites but I'm still very much trying to find more and different cigars to smoke. I've still got a lot to learn, and I think this might be a great source of info and fellowship. If Y'all will let me, I think I'll hang around and see what happens.

Like'n what I'm see'n

Gordon in NM

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Welcome aboard! What are some of your favorites right now? You don't happen to make humidors do you? Enough with the questions, you've fallen in with the best group on the internet bar none!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
DonJefe said:
Welcome aboard! What are some of your favorites right now? You don't happen to make humidors do you? Enough with the questions, you've fallen in with the best group on the internet bar none!
I'm about to asked the same question DonJefe! :D

Bienvenidos al CS, good place to hang around.

Salud!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DonJefe said:
Thanks for the friendly welcome folks! With regard to Don Jefe, My current primary smoke is the Siglo III. I know it may not be the most highly rated smoke on the planet, but I LIKE 'em. I don't have the a huge mouth, and I find that the corona/mareva/gran corona class of smokes (42-43 ring guage)just seem to fit my mouth best, and the (wonderfully described by someone on these boards) 3-D flavor of these puppies just sends me. This is love not just infatuation, I'm sure of it. If I don't have that much time to spare, the Siglo II or Montecristo 4 are both delish. for a bigger smoke, I recently procured a few of the Hoyo de Monterrey Pyrimides LE 2003. They are incredible, but I don't know if I'll be able to replace them so we'll see.

With that said, please don't mistake me for an afficianado of any sort(not very likely I think). I have been blessed with the favor of a couple of men who have good taste, good contacts, and a deep love of the leaf. I owe them a great debt of gratitude. I am currently exploring the domestic market for some more dependably available substitutes. I haven't really found them yet, but I'm actively looking, and trying some of the various offerings from my local tobaccanist. Anything I get in the ISOM category involves a certain lag time between order and recipt, and even though times are good, at least a little uncertainty. It's always good to have a back up plan. I am currently working on building up an adequate working stash with extras for aging/ongoing needs. I am looking to decide on about 5 or so different cigars to keep on hand( that number keeps expanding as well), but there are so many out there, and so many I haven't tried yet. This is my quest. To learn as much as I can, and to try as many different smokes as I can, and as resources allow, and to develope as nice stash that allows time for aging before smoking.

With regard to humidors....

I have yet to build my first humidor, but I have the spanish cedar on hand and will be starting humidor v1.0 shortly. The problem is, that my idea of how large a humidor needs to be keeps expanding. I have been looking at some stuff here about guys who are adapting wine coolers and seeing a LOT of merit in this approach. I think I may work out some designs for smaller/medium sized desktop class humidors, and start looking at the wine cooler route for storage issues.

That said, I am seeking input from cigar smokers on what their ideal humidor would be like, and what are the biggest peeves that they have with their existing humidors. It is possible that I might consider building custom/semicustom humidors If I think I can come up with a better product that better meets the needs of the cigar fiend.

To any of you reading this who have something to say about humidor design, ideas, or percieved problems with existing designs, I'd love to hear your suggestions or comments.

Thanks again for the warm welcome,

Gordon in NM

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
WElcome Gordon! I hear Santa Fe is just a great place to live. I was able to visit New Mexico for the first time earlier this year, but didn't make it to Santa Fe.

Hope you enjoy it here, lots of helpful people and lots of fun too.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Welcome to Club Stogie.

Nice intro and follow-up post. I see you are enjoying some fine smokes...may I suggest trying Bolivar, the Coronas Junior, petit corona and (if you are in the mood for a larger ring) Belicosos Finos and Royal Corona are excellent.

Good luck on the humidor project, just remember GO BIG!!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
1f1fan said:
Welcome to Club Stogie.

Nice intro and follow-up post. I see you are enjoying some fine smokes...may I suggest trying Bolivar, the Coronas Junior, petit corona and (if you are in the mood for a larger ring) Belicosos Finos and Royal Corona are excellent.

Good luck on the humidor project, just remember GO BIG!!
So many people talking about the Boli´s!! I´ve got a couple RASS begging to jump, but they´ve only been in my humi for 2 weeks or so.
1f1fan I see you also into these puppies, do you find them to be better / worse / different to Partagas Shorts?
I appologise for diverting a little...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.