Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the Hottop yesterday and have roasted 5lbs already with great success from even the first run. I like the construction of this machine and every part can be serviced or replaced by me. It has a 50's retro look crossed with a Kitchen Aid blender yet with a modern twang. I love in the owners manual it states for first time roasters "Don't be afraid that anything can go wrong.", this is a good thing since I have a track record of busting machines.
The Hottop is designed to roast 225-300g of green beans which gives you a
1/2lb of roasted beans and can do back to back roasts all day...we will see:D.
Smoke? Plenty to be had, my down draft can't get it all before it goes to the ceiling, damn downdrafts, but an over head vent would get it all. The repeatability of roasts is very nice, set the time and the temp (of chamber not bean mass) and 3 roasts of the same bean came out identical. So what is not to love? I would think money is the big minus for this gem, but it is a lot cheaper than the Diedrich(died rich? hmm), thats my story and I am sticking to it.

There is still a bunch to figure out but the default roast profile is really nice (I have tweaked it a bit but nothing worth saving) and Tom at SM says it it very similar to the Diedrich.

For all the SCCO roasters out there all the power to you, I am sure some of you have a unit that works as well as the Hottop or better but how many of you were able to have it in less than a week?:D

For some promotional reading
http://www.hottopusa.com/ProdSheet-B1a-Web.pdf

Would I recommend this to anyone? I would say that there are cheaper alternatives for those looking to get into roasting so this wouldn't be for you. If you are completely obsessed with coffee and learning the nuances of roasting than this is a perfect match as long as the wife loves coffee and you blind her with jewelry first.

· Sacred cows taste best
1,103 Posts
Notes to self.

1. Shred credit cards.
2. Send hate mail to Germantown Rob.

Jewelry indeed!
:ss

· Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:tu

told ya it cranks out the smoke!
Yes you did, I just don't get how it produces more smoke than pan roasting :r.

Did I mention the cooling? wow, beans dump and there is a few more snaps than silence, in 5 min they are completely cool.

· Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So now that you have posted the review when do I get to try a cup?
Perhaps even smoke a cigar with that cup.

huh huh.........

talk about pushy huh....

Brian
How about you coming over with that cycle of yours and have a cup and a smoke and baby sit while I take that thing for a ride?:r:r

You are itching to do something aren't ya? First Justin now me.
I am around almost everyday with little Lizard so feel free to stop by and have a cup before the days get to hot.

· Retired Cigar Whore
2,715 Posts
I bet you say that to all the guys.

well,.......... OK
but you have to put a security deposit down first.

How about you coming over with that cycle of yours and have a cup and a smoke and baby sit while I take that thing for a ride?:r:r

You are itching to do something aren't ya? First Justin now me.
I am around almost everyday with little Lizard so feel free to stop by and have a cup before the days get to hot.

· Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet you say that to all the guys.

well,.......... OK
but you have to put a security deposit down first.
You will have my child. That's not good enough? :r I haven't rode in 20 years,
hell I don't even trust me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.