Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I was about 8. There is a post around here somewhere with the story.

That was a cigarette BTW.

·
Registered
904 Posts
MeGustaCigars! said:
How old were you all when you started smoking? When/Where/How did it happen? Is there a significant story behind it?
About nine or ten, on a dare.

My uncle smoked white owls & Philly blunts and I used to sneak em evry now & then. The premium cigar back than till Anthony & Cleopatra came on the market.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The day I turned 18, I had an H. Upman. It has all been down hill since then. Well, I smoked cigarettes between the ages of 13 and 16. I was in a band, and it was just waht everybody did.

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
About 1998, my Mom was cleaning out her storage and handed me a box of stuff. I went through the box and found some 8mm movies. I picked up a projector from a friend that got it from a swapmeet and started watching the movies. Kids in the pool, kids on swingsets, kids at Halloween etc. Then I watched one of some people and a little kid at a backyard barbeque in Calif. We were in the states, because my Dad was a jazz drummer and came down here to be close to Los Angeles for work. The adults were drinking beer, barbequeing and laughing at the kid. The kid was in diapers and had a cigarrette in one hand and was taking drags off of it and blowing smoke. Then the kid picks up a beer and takes a drink and makes a face. The adults laugh and laugh, no sound on the movie only images.

I took a closer look and realized that the kid was me at about 2-3 years old!!!!!

I called my Mom and told her what I'd seen and she asked me to throw the movie in the trash. I've still got it, it was 1963, things were a little different then.

Funny thing, I was drinking Coors beer. When I started drinking beer later on, guess which beer was my favorite........Coors.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I was about 12 when I first tried smoking cigarettes. Didn't care for them. Not much taste or aroma, and my Dad caught me so that was the end of that for a while. Then about 3 years ago I started sampling a cigar every now and then only to develop a real appreciation for the taste, smell, and craftsmanship.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Young, way to young. Started cigarettes at Ten. Started when I was delivering papers in the morning and hidding my cigs in the Garage, under a bush, anywhere my Dad wouldn't find. Of course he did. Got my cigs from him, Camel Straights :pu. He was in the Air Force so he would buy dozen of cartons each time at the commissary. $ 2.00 a carton back then and he would not miss them. Started cigars during my teen years. We would get togehter in High school and play pool, poker and buy them cherry flavored cigars with the plastic tips and swisher sweets, we though we were it. We were it all right, :tpd:

·
Registered
803 Posts
When I was 12 I started smoking Cherry flavored Tiguana smalls. What a site that must've been. :w

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I didn't start until I was 32, never wanted to try smoking. I've always been addicted to smokless snuff so one day a guy offered me a cigar while we were having after dinner drinks, I think it was a partagas but I don't remember which one. I liked it and I was hooked.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
(909) said:
About 1998, my Mom was cleaning out her storage and handed me a box of stuff.
Glad I re-read that...I swear it said your mother handed you a box of snuff. Time for new glasses.

But yep, Im the same way. Since I was a very little kid and I stole my first sip of beer not even knowing what it was, I have loved beer...among other tastes not exactly usual for a kid less than 3..green olives, pickles, spinach, etc. Wonder how I got this gut?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was 13 and happened to be drinking my first 40oz of Ol'E. Me and 4 other guys were standing in a circle, passing it around while eating Doritos and giggling about chicks and skinning a raccoon.

Then I smoked my first cigarette at 16 and my first cigar at 18.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
I was a good boy and didn't start smoking until college, trying one at a bar somewhere. Tried my first "cigar" a swisher sweet when I worked at a drive thru beer and wine store when I was bored shitless. Upgraded to drug store cigars for a few months then finally tried my first premium cigar, a Fuente curly head soon after that. At this time I also had gone from my too expensive (unfiltered!) Lucky Strikes to rolling my own cigs. I quit cigs around 22, but have kept smoking cigars since. Took me 2-3 years before I stopped inhaling, it was a while before I even realized I had stopped doing so.

-Matt-

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My first cigar was a Cohiba (Cuba) and that was the standard until those sticks ran out back when I was 17. They were a small stash from an uncle which I first lit up as one of those adolescent male-bonding experiences with some buddies. We had no idea what we were doing and looking back, I might have opted to use some other stick to share but I AM still friends with most of the guys 16 years later. The Cohibas were delicious then and they remain a favorite today, though tastings are too far and few between.

Sadly, because I thought all cigars were made like those ISOMs, I was willing to try out random sticks when offered. And let me tell you know ... Swisher Sweets just don't cut it. :p

·
Registered
904 Posts
CIGma_Chi said:
My first cigar was a Cohiba (Cuba) and that was the standard until those sticks ran out back when I was 17. :p
WOW! Talk about being born with a golden cigar in your mouth.

Ah, but never to taste the grand aroma and flavor of a swisher swett or tiparillo "master blend". Paper that has fermented at least 2 hours. :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
miketafc said:
WOW! Talk about being born with a golden cigar in your mouth.

Ah, but never to taste the grand aroma and flavor of a swisher swett or tiparillo "master blend". Paper that has fermented at least 2 hours. :D
I realize I'm a lucky boy. I HAVE had Sweets though, back when trying anything and everything was in vogue. Thankfully, the Cohiba experience forever established my more discerning palate.

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
I was 20 when I started smoking cigars, I went on vacation to my uncles house and he likes to smoke cigars so, I smoked one with him ( a cuban Montecristo) and got hooked. I started slowly smoking them now and then, but this last year i have been gettin more into it, :D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My dad was a Dutch Masters Panatela guy. I didn't sample his stash that I can remember. He kept them in the freezer. Maybe it wasn't frost free back then, who knows (early 70's). Do remember doing a cross town jog from Hawkins Blvd to past Doniphan drive in the upper valley, El Paso when I was around 13 years old. My best friend and I started the run about 4:00 AM, ended up going past the Piedras graveyards by I-10 around 5:30 AM (scared sh$tless) and around the mountain up N. Mesa road around 11:00 AM. Then we stopped at a convenience store and got someone to buy us a box of swisher sweets. Sure why not. We were only jogging about 25 miles, a cigar makes perfect sense. We made it to my friend's dad's house later that day. All because we made up our minds we could do it. My kids are lucky if I let them go off the block.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never wanted to smoke cigarettes. I always hated them because mostly eveyone one on my mom's side smoked them, except my grandpa who smoked cigars (he was the smart one. LOL.) When I was little I always wanted to smoke cigars mainly because my dad did, and I grew up around the aroma. But when I was fourteen-ish my cousin who lives in Colorado came to stay with us. My dad had stopped smoking at the time because he got a hernia (WTF? Thats not caused by smoking!). Anyways my parents went out to dinner and my cousin and I were bored, and my counsin asked if I'd ever smoked a cigar before. I said no. He said he wished he brought some. He started smoking cigars in Cuba (lucky son of a b***h) Then I remembered how my dad still had his huge humidor stocked full of cigars. So me and my cousin stupidly took out some VERY expensive Cohibas (I didn't know at the time.) And I've been hooked ever since! And my dad wasn't mad at me when he caught me smoking a cigar in my room, he was actually GLAD! ;) But he doesn't want me to smoke inside though :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The first cigar I ever smoked (other some Swisher Sweets as a kid) was when I was visiting Montreal. I bought a cheap ISOM (it was a Fonseca as I recall for about $6 Canadian) because it was something forbidden in the US and fell in love with everything about cigars. The taste, the aroma, the way one lights a cigar, and the people cigars attract. I have had some of the best conversations with fellow cigar smokers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.