Cigar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Finish" has got to be the hardest thing for me to get my mind wrapped around when it comes to cigar smoking. I find it really difficult to pin down a flavor in the finish. Even more difficult is the short, medium and long of a finish.

To me just about every cigar leaves an aftertaste (often into the next day no matter what). I'm guessing that finish is referring to the flavor left in the mouth between puffs after "exhaling" the smoke. If that's the case these flavors (whatever they are exactly) seem to always linger for a pretty long time between puffs. Either my taster's a little out of wack or finish is just plain foggy to me.

A little help from the lowlands?

Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u

Eichen,

I agree that "finish" refers to "aftertaste" or the degree of carryover from one puff to the next. Obviously, a cigar with a "short finish" would leave less of an aftertaste when the smoke is terminated as well.

It seems that judging whether a cigar has a long finish or a short finish is hard to do when you are deliberately trying to make that determination. It is better done subconsciously (if that is possible).

Also, your taste buds are affected by other influences such as 1) how much you have been smoking lately, 2) what you are drinking as you smoke, and 3) what you have eaten recently.

In my experience, most of the higher priced handmades would qualify as "short-to-medium finish" to me.

How's that for a rambling no-answer response to your post?

Cheers!:u

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know what, Merlin? I think that was an excellent reply.

So in order to describe the length of a finish, I probably shouldn't be actively thinking about it. Take note of it as it goes but don't force it. I sense the practicality of a zen or wu-wei sort of mind set here!

I follow you with the other influences on the taste buds. Usually when I'm smoking a new cigar I'll smoke that one first after considering how it'll go with what I've had for dinner or lunch and I'll drink water with it. To me most cigars really suck after a sweet dessert!

·
Test Subject
2,645 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on cigars even though I have smoked plenty of them. To me the finish my be as simple as a strong spicy cigar has a long finish and aftertaste and a mild cigar has a short finish.. Another factor is how you smoke the cigar, in other words everyone smokes a cigar in his or her own way. I have a tendency to work on the cigar or to activly smoke it instead of hold it. I also smoke my cigars down to the nub which will give any cigar a stronger finish.... Just my opinion....Jerry in Minnesota;.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting thoughts.

I tend to prefer to nub 'em when ever possible too. I'm one of those people that likes the flavor when all the good (bad) stuff concentrates at the end of a smoke. Always been that way too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u Eichen, congratulations on a great topic.

I have had cigars that I considered strong but seem to have had a short finish. The crappiest cigars that I have ever been given (a whole box) was Garcia y Vega something or others and they were mild enough to inhale, but I considered them to have a long finish.

I am in no way an expert either. Like you, Jerry, this is just my opinion. Humble opinion at that.

:u

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
to me the "finish" is for as long as you can hold a mouthfull of smoke(learn to breath with a mouthfull of smoke) you continue to experience pleasant flavours.cuban cigars can have a finish that goes on and on(bolivar coronas juniors come to mind).

derrek :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u Another interesting take, Derrek. I will try that approach on my next stogie. I have a Short Story on deck.:u

·
Registered
258 Posts
"Finish" to me in my experience is the gradual taste and complexity change towards the end of a cigar. Some cigar makers even boast a "big finish" and what that means is there is a greater mix of tobacco to add a little oomph to the cigar. Some of my favorites are those who have this "finish"...like the thrilling ending of a movie that leaves you saying...WOW!;) :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts