Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been set on sticking with the simple little set-up that Mr. Moo got me started with. Still not really planning on changing roasters anytime soon, but I had to make a jump today when I found a few bargains. Here's the loot.

Bodum - Young Press 8 cup French press

GE - Burr grinder

Neither are high-end pieces, but they are wonderfully proficient! Just made my 1st ever French press. The course grind was perfect! And the coffee ..... out of this world! Nic. FTO Estelli Miraflor. Just outstanding! My appologies to the ninjas for taking so long!!:D

·
Moo-ism translator, Esq
3,161 Posts
Have been set on sticking with the simple little set-up that Mr. Moo got me started with. Still not really planning on changing roasters anytime soon, but I had to make a jump today when I found a few bargains. Here's the loot.

Bodum - Young Press 8 cup French press

GE - Burr grinder

Neither are high-end pieces, but they are wonderfully proficient! Just made my 1st ever French press. The course grind was perfect! And the coffee ..... out of this world! Nic. FTO Estelli Miraflor. Just outstanding! My appologies to the ninjas for taking so long!!:D
way to go Hollywood!!:tu Congratulations on finding a great cup!

Gotta tell ya though, guys like you that drag their feet give the rest of us a bad name:D

·
Registered
799 Posts
My appologies to the ninjas for taking so long!!:D
Ahhhh... ninjas (even coffee ones) are no big deal. A .38 and some night vision goggles keeps 'em in check.

:sleep:

Grats on the conversion to press coffee... it's a watershed event.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Congrats on the purchace. That is s sweet looking Bodum. Mine is kind of plain looking. The cheap burr grinder should work fine for French Press and Drip coffee. But there might be a little fine powder left behind in the bottom of your cup.

·
Ask me why I dinged Black
10,415 Posts
Have been set on sticking with the simple little set-up that Mr. Moo got me started with...

GE - Burr grinder

The course grind was perfect! And the coffee ..... out of this world! Nic. FTO Estelli Miraflor. Just outstanding! My appologies to the ninjas for taking so long!!:D
Thanks for that, Dave. It's nice of you to tell some of the "little" people (who allow us to stand so tall only because we can step up high on their groins and skulls with our Ninja-crampon spikey shoes) that I actually encourage simple, effective and modestly priced brewing/roasting setups. I don't actually recall that I ever really did that, but it's still very nice of you to say so. If the GE burr mill isn't producing "fines" mixed in the coarse grind enough to muck up your brew then tally-ho.

Should sediment become problematic and spoil your coffee by making it murky, gritty and ill-tasting, just shake the fresh ground coarse coffee vigorously before measuring it into your press. The "fines" that ruin good press coffee will accumulate in the bottom of the grinder catch-cannister. Keep the good stuff for yourself and send the grit to Syekick; You will simultaeneously improve your coffee AND his! This is what Coffee Ninjas tell the "little" people is a "win-win" thing. :r And they'll never know the difference!!! :r

·
Moo-ism translator, Esq
3,161 Posts
Personally I don't see how a Ninja, coffe or otherwise, would ever sanction Syekick and his stewed Sanka swill nor deem sweeten it with silty shaken sediment from a good roast.
Of course it's not for me to say....

Personally I'd keep all that shake and the flavor it carries in the press and install one of these from Sweet Maria's. Works quite well...

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that, Dave. It's nice of you to tell some of the "little" people (who allow us to stand so tall only because we can step up high on their groins and skulls with our Ninja-crampon spikey shoes) that I actually encourage simple, effective and modestly priced brewing/roasting setups. I don't actually recall that I ever really did that, but it's still very nice of you to say so. If the GE burr mill isn't producing "fines" mixed in the coarse grind enough to muck up your brew then tally-ho.

Should sediment become problematic and spoil your coffee by making it murky, gritty and ill-tasting, just shake the fresh ground coarse coffee vigorously before measuring it into your press. The "fines" that ruin good press coffee will accumulate in the bottom of the grinder catch-cannister. Keep the good stuff for yourself and send the grit to Syekick; You will simultaeneously improve your coffee AND his! This is what Coffee Ninjas tell the "little" people is a "win-win" thing. :r And they'll never know the difference!!! :r
Not with the grinder, but with my 1st ever WB Poppery; and the keys to open the gates to coffee nirvana.:tu That, and some good ol' fashioned advice, got me started in the right direction. It just took me a LONG time to hit 2nd gear!

Now ....... where is that ninja haters address?:hn

btw - grind was spot on and did not leave one fleck of fine in the brew!!:tu

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
got the same FP & lovin' it-it may not be fancy or "classic" looking, but it works great to take camping or in a house full of clumsy people (like mine!)-still trying to figure how to get 8 cups out of it though, i can't get more than 3-must be the fancy schmancy europeein' measurements!

thought about that particular grinder too-wonder if it would work well for a moka pot type grind?-that may be my next coffee purchase

·
Moo-ism translator, Esq
3,161 Posts
got the same FP & lovin' it-it may not be fancy or "classic" looking, but it works great to take camping or in a house full of clumsy people (like mine!)-still trying to figure how to get 8 cups out of it though, i can't get more than 3-must be the fancy schmancy europeein' measurements!

thought about that particular grinder too-wonder if it would work well for a moka pot type grind?-that may be my next coffee purchase
tis true - by "cup" they mean tasse(?) which = 4oz. which = a little less than 1/2 to you and me.

The 8 cupper is 32oz and I was the same...maybe 3 big cups. So I got a 48oz (about 5 big cups) as well and now brew up 80oz for a weekend morning, pour mine and the wife's cups and fill a Thermos with the rest...living large:tu

·
Registered
650 Posts
Congratulations!
It makes a world of difference. I just upgraded my grinder from blade to burr a couple weeks a go, and a few weeks before that I got my 3 cup bodum. I am in dire need of some good coffee though, I've been drinking the store bought by the pound stuff for the last couple weeks. I need to put an order in to Unclebeanz when I get paid.

·
Seeking Whitewater
320 Posts
tis true - by "cup" they mean tasse(?) which = 4oz. which = a little less than 1/2 to you and me.

The 8 cupper is 32oz and I was the same...maybe 3 big cups. So I got a 48oz (about 5 big cups) as well and now brew up 80oz for a weekend morning, pour mine and the wife's cups and fill a Thermos with the rest...living large:tu
"Herr Kelner bringen sie mir eine tasse kafe."
"Bitte eine tasse?"
"Ja naturlich,naturlich.Americano dri tasse. Danken!" :ssJerry

·
Ask me why I dinged Black
10,415 Posts
"Herr Kelner bringen sie mir eine tasse kafe."
"Bitte eine tasse?"
"Ja naturlich,naturlich.Americano dri tasse. Danken!" :ssJerry
Was ist das, bitte?

Andyman and Hollywood.... hmmmm. Your names always ring a bell whenever I think of cheap poppers.

Well, yours and that girl I met in Times Square a few years back.

ba-da BOOM!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hey Andy! How are ya!?

I actually found it on clearance at Wallyworld for $21!! I think it was originally 40 something!? Check on-line to see if your local store has any.
Dave, Doing well!!

$21 cripes!! I need to find deals like that. Maybe wwhen we move back in I will start looking..

Hey Moo.. I am indeed a "cheap popper". I just saw that thing last week in the basement, in a box covered in 65 year old blown insulation.. I need to clean it up and bring it back to all it's glory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.