Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
-=A Smoking Poet=-
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no ISOMs:( so I decided to visit this one shop I've known about but never gone into. The guy was Armenian (like me), so I asked him quietly in Armenian if he carried any ISOMs. He smiled and said "yes". I got excited, but I know a lot of people have fakes (my gf was sold a fake at a different store). So I asked for a Cohiba by name (1. because that was the fake my gf bought, and it would be easy for me to detect. 2. because I wanted him to know that I knew the different brands and I wasn't a sucker off the street). He said he didn't have any Cohibas and he led me to the back. Once we got in there was a box fullllllll of Cohibas. I turned to him and said "I thought you said you didn't have any Cohibas?" He smiled and replied, "I don't." Just as I figured, he kept the fakes there to sell to people that didn't care much. He pulled out his stash of Pinar cigars (read more about them here http://www.nationalcigar.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8 ) I got two beautiful cigars from his collection, some butane for my lighter, and a cool stainless steel cutter (even though I punch). This guy was very cool. Right before I left he threw me another cigar (not ISOM) and he said, "It's on me, tell me what you think of it next time you come in." I think that's a great way to create return business, and I think it was cool how he didn't sell me the fake Cohibas. I can't wait to try them. I'm going to try the cigar he gave me free first, and let the ISOM's age a bit in my 'dor ( I don't think I'll be able to hold out too long tho:( ).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Personally I think that's really F***ed up. I'm a pretty honest guy and I would never ever give anyone my business that would sell fakes to people just because they didn't know any better. I've spent my life trying to educate people about whatever, not ripping them off.

P.S. If he's really willing to sell fakes to someone I'd be especially weary of what he sells you. In the police game the easier thing for a suspect to do is cover up a lie with another lie. He could be keeping the fakes to show people like you, "hey these are the fakes, I keep the real ones here" he could use that as a way to gain your trust.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for those Pinars? They have all sorts over here from anywhere from $5.50 for crappy quality to $13 for better quality. But I can tell you, after smoking the real deal, take the advice some older gorillas gave me and save your money. Pinars don't compare to the real thing, and most likely you are still getting ripped off.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Pinars are completely legal, supposedly made with varying amounts of pre-embargo cuban tobacco. I had one, and thought it was an excellent smoke ... but nothing like a Cuban.

The guys in my regular shop are great, but I would never ask them for Cubans. When they tell me a cigar "tastes like a Cuban", I accept the hyperbole, try one, but don't go back to correct them. But if I knew they were selling fake Cohibas to people, I would not go back, that would just piss me off. I wouldn't have a problem with them selling Pinars from the back room ... they are perfectly legal and apparently do have actual Cuban tobacco inside.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've heard varying reports on the authenticity of Pinars. I've had a couple and thought they were pretty good cigars, although I thought they were way overpriced. If I got a deal on em' or someone gifted me one, I'd be happy.

Otherwise, they are many other cheaper cigars (ISOM and domestic) that I'll buy and smoke on a regular basis.

:D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
DonVon said:
I had no ISOMs:( so I decided to visit this one shop I've known about but never gone into. The guy was Armenian (like me), so I asked him quietly in Armenian if he carried any ISOMs. He smiled and said "yes". I got excited, but I know a lot of people have fakes (my gf was sold a fake at a different store). So I asked for a Cohiba by name (1. because that was the fake my gf bought, and it would be easy for me to detect. 2. because I wanted him to know that I knew the different brands and I wasn't a sucker off the street). He said he didn't have any Cohibas and he led me to the back. Once we got in there was a box fullllllll of Cohibas. I turned to him and said "I thought you said you didn't have any Cohibas?" He smiled and replied, "I don't." Just as I figured, he kept the fakes there to sell to people that didn't care much. He pulled out his stash of Pinar cigars (read more about them here http://www.nationalcigar.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8 ) I got two beautiful cigars from his collection, some butane for my lighter, and a cool stainless steel cutter (even though I punch). This guy was very cool. Right before I left he threw me another cigar (not ISOM) and he said, "It's on me, tell me what you think of it next time you come in." I think that's a great way to create return business, and I think it was cool how he didn't sell me the fake Cohibas. I can't wait to try them. I'm going to try the cigar he gave me free first, and let the ISOM's age a bit in my 'dor ( I don't think I'll be able to hold out too long tho:( ).
First off Pinars are NOT Cuban cigars. Just because the supposedly have Pre-Embargo cuban tobacco doesn't make them Cuban. If that were the case I could say Gurkas were Cuban, and there not!! Dude you should know better then to walk into a cigar shop here in the States and ask for Cubans..........thats asking for trouble. Also, I would agree with what some of the others here have said, I wouldn't go back to a place where the owner openly admits he sells fakes. Just like Cartierusm said " that's f*cked up." I'm not a fan of people who take advantage of others because they don't know how to spot a fake from the real deal.

So just so it is understood, you don't have cuban cigars. You have Pinars....domestic cigars that supposedly have "pre-embargo" cuban tobacco in them.

I'm glad SeanGAR was good enough to point that out......

·
Registered
949 Posts
DonVon

Man you should have stopped here before going to that shop. The owner sound like a crook. Selling fake Cohiba's openly. Then taking you in the back and showing you this golden stash of Pinar. Wow!!!! I would definitely never go back there.

·
-
11,412 Posts
the shop owner actually sold you Pinars as "cuban cigars"?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i think you have a lot of reading to do before you go back to that cigar shop. you must educate yourself.
the horror of this situation is that you believed him due to your inexperience. but that can be overcome.

also, if you're going to ask for a cuban cigar, don't ask for "cohiba" because you end up (2. because I wanted him to know that I knew the different brands and I wasn't a sucker off the street). cohiba is the most widely recognized brand, and probably the most counterfieted cigars made.

next time ask for some bolivars or vegas robaina... <--- not that they wont' be counterfieted as well, just they're not "cohiba".

you'd be amazed at the "american idiots" that i've personally witnessed in Europe who, when faced with the challenge of picking out a cuban cigar in a store, head directly for the "cohibas". (i use the term "american idiot" because that is the ONLY brand they know of to say - they wouldn't know Juan Lopez if he lit his cigar for him)

anywho - donvon, i suggest your start hitting the SEARCH function on this site, and type in some things you want to know about, and START READING.

ps - nothing against cohibas, but they are the most sought after/known cuban cigar brand. it ends up making you look like an idiot off the street (sorry to say).

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
IHT said:
the shop owner actually sold you Pinars as "cuban cigars"?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i think you have a lot of reading to do before you go back to that cigar shop. you must educate yourself.
the horror of this situation is that you believed him due to your inexperience. but that can be overcome.

also, if you're going to ask for a cuban cigar, don't ask for "cohiba" because you end up (2. because I wanted him to know that I knew the different brands and I wasn't a sucker off the street). cohiba is the most widely recognized brand, and probably the most counterfieted cigars made.

next time ask for some bolivars or vegas robaina... <--- not that they wont' be counterfieted as well, just they're not "cohiba".

you'd be amazed at the "american idiots" that i've personally witnessed in Europe who, when faced with the challenge of picking out a cuban cigar in a store, head directly for the "cohibas". (i use the term "american idiot" because that is the ONLY brand they know of to say - they wouldn't know Juan Lopez if he lit his cigar for him)

anywho - donvon, i suggest your start hitting the SEARCH function on this site, and type in some things you want to know about, and START READING.

ps - nothing against cohibas, but they are the most sought after/known cuban cigar brand. it ends up making you look like an idiot off the street (sorry to say).
Well said Greg, as usual.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Don let's not sugar coat it

Your being had and setup to be taken by a pro. :fu

Most dishonest people don't care who they rip off the fact you speak his language may just mean to him that your a better target. :BS

What you described here says "this is a shop I'd avoid."

Mayby not, but I'd proceed with caution.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
And one more thing. I don't want this to sound like a bashing, because that's not what I intend. Everybody and their dog knows the name Cohiba. My wife who doesn't smoke cigars knows the name. My neighbor who chews tobacco knows the name. You want to have somebody think you know a bit about Cuban cigars, start with names like San Cristobal de la Habana, Vegas Robaina, and Juan Lopez. If somebody asked me about Cubans and mentioned Cohiba, it would tell me know don't know very much about Cubans. If they asked me about Juan Lopez No. 2, it would tell me that they likely DO.

Hah, saw Greg posted the same thing about brands up above.. I gotta refresh more....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cartierusm said:
Personally I think that's really F***ed up. I'm a pretty honest guy and I would never ever give anyone my business that would sell fakes to people just because they didn't know any better. I've spent my life trying to educate people about whatever, not ripping them off.

P.S. If he's really willing to sell fakes to someone I'd be especially weary of what he sells you. In the police game the easier thing for a suspect to do is cover up a lie with another lie. He could be keeping the fakes to show people like you, "hey these are the fakes, I keep the real ones here" he could use that as a way to gain your trust.
I'm in the cartier camp of thought.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Selling fakes to those that know no better? Reminds me of the Sherrifs daughter who was arrested for having a bag of pot on her at a party. When she was taken to the police department they asked where she nought it from. Upon opening the bag, all the officers laughed, called her dad to come pick her up and no charges were place. Turned out someone sold he her a bag of horse shit and they were trying to smoke it. A sucker born every minute.

·
-
11,412 Posts
SeanGAR said:
And one more thing. I don't want this to sound like a bashing, because that's not what I intend. Everybody and their dog knows the name Cohiba. My wife who doesn't smoke cigars knows the name. My neighbor who chews tobacco knows the name. You want to have somebody think you know a bit about Cuban cigars, start with names like San Cristobal de la Habana, Vegas Robaina, and Juan Lopez. If somebody asked me about Cubans and mentioned Cohiba, it would tell me know don't know very much about Cubans. If they asked me about Juan Lopez No. 2, it would tell me that they likely DO.

Hah, saw Greg posted the same thing about brands up above.. I gotta refresh more....
great minds think alike.

yep, as we both stated, if you want to not "look like an idiot off the street," don't mention the most famous cuban brand of all time. funny that both of us named two of the other brands (VR, Juan Lopez).

lastly, you should know better than to walk into an american cigar shop and ask for cuban cigars.
there's a guy on another forum who works in a cigar shop in Cali, his sig line says, "the cuban cigars are next to the crack cocaine and kiddie ****, didn't you see them?"

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Looks like you got hosed........ again, DonVon.

That sucks :hn

Oh well, you know what they say: Nothing teaches you more than learning the hard way.

PS - I really have no idea who says that but I'm pretty sure that it was somebody cool :D

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Don,

Don't let this get ya down, just listen and learn for the others here. They are a bunch of great BOTL with lots of knowledge and mean no harm with what they say.
I think I would study up on some things and then go back to the store again. Start asking him questions, tons of questions about his sales practice towards customers. I'm sure he won't be too happy but you will get your point across.

Just my 2 cents.

·
-=A Smoking Poet=-
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OKay, first off I'm not stupid, I posted a link about the cigars on my thread. I know they are not "Cuban" they are made here, but they do have Cuban tobacco and the reason I bought them (btw I didn't get the lower quality one mixed with ecuadorian stuff). I bought these cigars because they looked and smelled awesome. Second of all when I said back, I know it sounded like the secret hiding spot, but it was actually his room where he stored all his cigars. I know it's not fair to sell fakes, but a lot of people do it where I live. I'm glad he didn't try to sell me the fakes. Anyway I'm at work, so I'll reply again when I get out. Sheesh you guys smoke a stick and relax

-Von

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.