Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Few words from Don Alejandro Robaina

I received a newsletter from one of my sources. The owner wrote about his trip to Cuba. This is one paragraph from the newsletter that I though was interesting... how Mr. Robaina prefers to use a punch cutter

His favorite Vegas Robaina cigars are the Famosos (Robusto) and the Unicos (torpedo). He took great pleasure in showing me how he uses a cigar punch on all his cigars ( the cap is the pinnacle of a cigar rollers art…it is disrespectful to cut it off). He showed me how he dips the end of the cigar into his coffee (always short black and sweet)…try it and you will always do it…delicious! He frowned at the thought of dipping the cigar in brandy, cognac or rum… "coffee is a natural product of the soil, like tobacco. Liquor is distilled, adulterated and hence the two should never meet."

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
don't believe it for one minute brandon... that old man loves to pull pranks on unsuspecting foreigners. when i met him he tried to convince me that if you eat thru your a$$ you'll sh*t thru your mouth. no f*cking way was i falling for that one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
robmcd said:
don't believe it for one minute brandon... that old man loves to pull pranks on unsuspecting foreigners. when i met him he tried to convince me that if you eat thru your a$$ you'll sh*t thru your mouth. no f*cking way was i falling for that one.
:r

David...you never cease to amaze me with your creatative mind. Did you study under the late great Timothy Leary??

·
Registered
126 Posts
robmcd said:
On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for a punch cutter! No shredding of the cap or loose strands of wrapper . . . . .

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
while i'm coming down off this blue cheer let me say that, while i was just giving brandon a hard time (until he gets his ass outta school, we're natural enemies), this kind of statement: the cap is the pinnacle of a cigar rollers art…it is disrespectful to cut it off gets my goat. if the cap is the pinnacle of the rollers art, is it better to stick a hole in it, slobber all over it, and suck smoke thru it until tar forms around its orifice than to clip it off and save it from such a disgusting fate (or, at least, give it to rene)? you know, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar... clip it, punch it, cut it with your knife, smell it, lick it, share it... who gives a sh*t. most isoms are made in an assembly line by some poor schmuck who, while very talented, makes a few bucks a month and works 13 out of 14 days.... that ain't art.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While David is my natural enemy, I do agree with him. :rolleyes: I just didn't think he would be so concerned about the way he cuts a cigars... given he smokes 6 a day. Personally, I don't like a punch cut because of the way it channels smoke and allows for more tar build up. I really don't care about how others cut their cigars, as long as they don't lick it up and down and give it a saliva bath :w

·
Registered
200 Posts
Having spent several days and evenings with Don Alejandro both in Cuba and Mexico, this story about how he prepares and cuts the cigar is, at best, apocryphal. Whoever claims to have been told this by Don Alejandro is being less than truthful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts