Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to cigars as a regular interest (< 1 year) and have only recently joined this great online community. I find the opinions expressed on this site to be very valuable...it seems like many of you actually know what you're talking about! :D

Anyway, I have finally filled my first humidor and I can't stop walking by to check on it! It has some glass so I can see the stash w/o disturbing it. Although I'm becoming more interested all the time in many of the brands that are most often mentioned on this site, here is how my 100ct box is filled with my current favorites:

regulars: Bohio lonsdale naturals
less often: Don Tomas Int'l Selection, dble corona maduros
special: Fuente D'Oro churchills (connecticut shade)

I know that cigar tastes are a personal thing, and many of you may look at my stock and roll your eyes at my *newbie* choices, BUT hey, these are the ones that I settled on after trying various brands and anyway, I'm not married to them and know I can move to some of the more popular brands in future.

IN ANY CASE...I was interested in how everyone smokes. My own favorite is 1-3 /wk (I'm a light smoker) to settle in a comfy chair out back and watch the bats swoop down over my yard at twilight. Preferred drink is amaretto or a coffee liqueur. If I enjoy a cigar during the day, I usually like to have a beer (Corona) or sometimes just coffee. Wife's presence is optional... :p

Penny for your thoughts? :w

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't smoke in the house because I don't have any room with adequate ventilation. The wife and kids would kill me, if the cigar smoking doesn't do it first.

When the weather permits, I like to light up and sit out on the deck behind the house, usually sipping whatever red wine I was drinking with dinner, sometimes with a glass of cognac. I will also light up before putting the dog on his leash and taking him for a walk around my neighborhood. He's gotten used to that idea, too. If I go to my junk drawer to find my cigar cutter, he'll hear that and come trotting along because he knows it's time for a walk.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
As a gentle word of encouragement, never step foot on the Sacred Isle. Should you ever see a cigar with "Havana" on it, cross the street on the other side. The slippery slope has claimed many a soul my friend.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm allowed to smoke inside, but I have sit right next to an open window with a fan next to my head blowing the smoke outside. I almost always have a glass of red wine with my cigar. I love smoking while watching football so for both reasons my wife tends to play on her computer in the other room when I light up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Unlike most I don't seem to get as much enjoyment from my smoke while cutting grass or walking the dog.Maybe it's a coordination thing the old walking and chewing gum trick. So I usually retire to my den- smoking room and just ponder the cigar in all it's glory and sometimes talk to my wife in between. Then once a month our cigar group gets together we just sit and smoke our brains out for an afternoon.:w

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
I have never lit up in my house. I'm reliving my teen years. I sneek a cigar in the backyard after the kids go to sleep. My 14 year old knows I have a humidor ( a couple of 'em stacked on my closet shelves) but I'm also a closet smoker. The 4 year old asked me one day, what is that thing daddy? I replied, uh hmmm, it's a fertilizer stick! That's the ticket! My wife is a casual ciggy smoker, a pack a month, she also sneeks 'em outside! :w

I have a group of buddys who smoke cigars down in Seattle most every night, I'm very lucky there, that I can light up almost anytime till 1:30 AM if need be. I always bring a few good ones to gift.;)

I actually smoke the most at work! I work in a team of 3, all of us middle aged farts, all us cigar smokers! I love doing the N.Y. Times crossword while puffing away, or reading, anything. I always have coffee, water or soda w/ my cigar. No more booze for this bad boy! But I love a good cigar! :w

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u :u I get a lot of enjoyment from this hobby. I not only enjoy smoking them but also collecting, storing, and sharing them with my friends.

My tastes have evolved over the three years that I have been smoking. I think everyone gravitates toward stronger cigars as they become more experienced. I find that I still like some of the milder ones occasionally.

I always smoke outside--never in the house. Sometimes I smoke in my car.

I normally smoke 3 to 5 per week. A couple of weeks ago I smoked 9 over a 2-day period. Today my Partagas #10 was the first cigar I have had in twelve days.

I normally drink coffee, diet soda, iced tea, or bottled water while enjoying a cigar. I quit drinking alcohol eighteen months ago. Ain't going back there again.

I enjoy habanos, but do not break the laws of the land. Most of my stash is Dominican.

This is a great hobby--best enjoyed in moderation, I think.:u

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
First cigar of the day with morning coffee in my upstairs office...computer room... smoking room, catching up with the CS forum news and a couple of others. Nicaraguan

Second cigar after lunch on the back patio and enjoying the surrounding flowers and plants and doing absolutely nothing with a Coke in hand. Part.Short or Boli CJ

Third cigar mid to late afternoon reading the paper and then doing the crossword puzzle on the back patio. Nicaraguan

Fourth cigar after dinner sitting and watching the sunset over Tillamook Bay and the Pacific Ocean. Part. Short or Boli CJ

Fifth cigar (optional), if there is a good movie on the tube in the late PM/early AM. I'll then light up one of the new ISOMS I'm trying with a good cup or two of Southern Pecan decaf.

I'm lucky that my wife Alice is such a wonderful woman! :) :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK.....so, I'm a proud self-proclaimed newbie to the cigar world, but every 3 months I'm ready to buy a new box of 25 and I'm wondering, if I'm ready to spend $5-$8 a cigar, what are the brands you all would recommend for my next stash?:confused:

I'm going to go sit outside again with my wireless headphones and listed to the Turner Classic Movie showing of another great Cary Grant film while I enjoy one of my Fuente churchills while you guys (and gals!) tell me your thoughts..........goodnight all!:w

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
okie2 said:

Fourth cigar after dinner sitting and watching the sunset over Tillamook Bay and the Pacific Ocean.
I'm jealous, that is a beautiful place to be! We always stop by the dairy and Blue Heron when in that area, stunning. You must be enjoying this great weather. Soon taking the family down to Lincoln City Beach, a perinial favorite. Our dream is to retire there. Relaxed is the word that comes to mind when thinking Oregon Coast :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH MAN! Just reading about enjoying a great cigar in the surrounding you all describe makes me want to rush out and light up!

How I wish I could enjoy a smoke in my house instead of being relegated outside as I was tonight (watching back-to-back Sopranos thru the window while wearing my wireless headset for the TV). One day I will have a house large enough to have my own smoking office/room..........I can hardly wait. And *what* will I do when winter raises its ugly head hear in the northeast???:mad:

·
Registered
258 Posts
It doesn't matter how large your house is my friend, castle sure, but house? Cigar smoke travels in thick plumes...with a mind of its' own;) . I too smoke on one of my backyard comfy chairs, watching the kids pummel each other or the German Shepards playing "here comes the mailman". I'll sometimes smoke in the living room when no ones home ( once every 6 mos.:rolleyes: ) but if my wife ever caught me on our leather couches...:c . I'm a 3 a day-er myself, in the AM i enjoy self-brewed espresso and at lunch/afternoon a barqs rootbeer or vanilla coke go real good with a stogie. After dinner it's a Non-Alcoholic Premium Beer (becks) or more espresso. In sunny California the weather is always good enough for the outdoors but i too long to move up north...beautiful pines, fresh air, mountains...BEARS?:confused: well, i kinda like guns too:D .As far as what to buy you can't go wrong perusing this forum for all kinds of excellent ideas but be warned, there's alot of fish in the sea and you don't want to get hitched too soon eh? I don't hide my cigar smoking from my kids, 9 & 7, there's too many discussions to be had in the future as it is and they already know the perils of 3-pack a day cigarette smoking as well as "the sauce":al thanks to their grandparents, god rest their souls, so as Jack Nicholson said so eloquently: "The only way to get rid of a bad habit is to find a better one":w

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new here and a novice but wanted to add my comment. I love to go out on the patio at night, around midnight, and sit and smoke a cigar and listen to the nighttime noises. I don't drink alcohol anymore so I'll usually drink a glass of water or root beer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Another newbie chimes in...

In the summer I tend to smoke on the front porch or in the backyard. When I used to have my apartment at school I'd smoke in my room. For some reason I just don't get the same enjoyment out of a cigar if I'm walking. In fact it seems I can't really do anything other than smoke when I'm smoking a cigar. I can't pay attention to books or the TV -- my attention eventually goes solely to the cigar. So I've given up trying both while smoking. I take that back, I've had a few really good conversations with some buddies over a smoke.

Usually I have water, Dr. Pepper or Root Beer with a smoke at home and whiskey, beer, rum and coke or coffee when I'm out on the town.

I've noticed a few west-coasters on this thread. I was just in Seattle taking a few classes this summer. Beautiful country. You guys get any rain yet? Mighty dry when I left.

Cheers,
-Dan aka "Eichen":)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Eichen said:
Another newbie chimes in...

I've noticed a few west-coasters on this thread. I was just in Seattle taking a few classes this summer. Beautiful country. You guys get any rain yet? Mighty dry when I left.

Cheers,
-Dan aka "Eichen":)
Rain?...what's that?:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
It was so dry when I left there were a few PSA's or news stories that warned of the danger of parking in dry grass. Never seen anything like that before. I'll bet if I was in a forest and even thought about fire it might happen. It was crispy out there. I Hope you guys get some rain.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Gentlemen,

You can't smoke in your own home? Is not a man the king of his castle?

Zino said "If your wife does not like the smell of your cigar, get a new wife."

A favorite line of mine from Ferris Beuller's Day Off is,
"I Weep for the future." When I hear you can't smoke in your house I cry for you all. However.....

I have been blessed with a wife who loves the smell of my cigar if it's a good one, and who puts up with the stink of a poor cigar because she loves me.

If my wife did not like the smell of my cigar I would smoke outside.
Why? Because Zino had it wrong. Your soul mate is worth so much more than the simple pleasure of sucking a stogie.

Enjoy your cigar, love your wife and your kids. You are blessed!
Damn, I'm getting so sentimental in my old age.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts