Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, this thread was out there some time ago and I thought it was rife with potential so I thought I would try to get it rolling again. One of the best movies I have seen in the last few years, and almost totally unseen by the public is "Dinner Rush" starring Danny Aiello as a restaurant owner who may or may not be in the Mafia, you figure it out. Great characters, great dialogue, great pacing, and a terrifically twisty, surprising, and satisfying ending. Really worth watching. If you find it in the video store, rent it. Frank B

·
Registered
369 Posts
I saw a chunk of "Dinner Rush" on one of the higher cable movie channels. I didn't find the movie at its start so I didn't stick with it. I usually have a hard time sticking with something that I haven't seen yet if I start watching in the middle. It looked good anyway. Maybe next weekend I'll check it out.

I'm not sure if "no one" has ever seen the two that I'd like to offer but here goes...

"The Seven Samurai" -- IMO the BEST characters put to any film that I've seen. Made in the 1950's, it's a 3 hour long tale that serves as the basis for the "Magnificent Seven" (also a very good movie but I suspect more have seen that). Seven outsider samurai protect a small farming village against 40 bandits. Really good stuff. If you haven't seen it and you've got a long attention span, I give it my highest recommendation. B&W in Japanese with subtitles.

"Run Lola, Run/ Lola Rennt" -- On the oposite end of the spectrum (almost) this is almost like three 20 minute films with a common 20 minute introduction strung together. A central theme seems to be "cycles". Spiral disigns and references to circles, cycles prevade the film. Each of the three smaller films have common characters and settings but events skitter off in different directions according to twists of fate (or whatever you'd like to call it). At the heart of the film is the love of two young Berliners who've got to come up with 100,000 Marks in 20 minutes to cover for the money lost by one on the subway. Love, seperation, loss, death... It's a good movie. Various video types(B&W, "videocamera", and color film respectively represent events in the past, though the eyes of others and through the eyes of the main character "Lola") in German with English subtitles.

Run Lola Run makes me think of "32 short films about Glenn Gould". I saw that a long time ago on PBS. I remember it being really good viewing. It got me interested in Glenn Gould, the Canadian pianist who helped to re-popularize Bach keyboard works. Many of his recordings are considered to have set the interpretive standard of Bach's music.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Network(1976) Peter Finch, Faye Dunaway, William Holden, Robert Duvall.
Nominated for 10 academies, won 4.....Story of newsman's nervous breakdown is fresh, even today with the excellent performances and writing. The catchphrase of the film is cool, "I'M MAD AS HELL and I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT NO MORE! Now go to your window and yell that out!

5 Easy Pieces (1970) Jack Nicholson. Right after Easy Rider. They must of given these movies those titles because Jack was one of them actors who made it look so "Easy".

Winter Kills(1979) Jeff Bridges, JohnHuston, Anthony Perkins, Eli Wallach, Cameos from folks like Elizabeth Taylor. Insane black comedy about a assassinated presidents little brother 19 years after the shooting. Power, conspiracy and zaniness follow

Photo of Faye

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
"Local Hero" with Peter Riegert and Burt Lancaster. Rural Scotland and a real estate deal.

"The Burning Man" - Pagan ritual in modern-day Scotland.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
The Lathe of Heaven.

I think it's only available on VHS & DVD and can't be oredred on cable.

Challenge: Who's seen it, who can tell us about it, and do you think we actually live in a world like that and don't even know it?
IMHO, should have been a cult classic.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dug lathe of heaven, good science fiction. Not my genre, but I like stimulating movies like that. Dreams come true, We control our own destiny, self empowerment...

run lola run was good, I think I just saw another Tykwer film with potente- princess and the warrior, another good flick.

them foriegn films are where it's at, seven samurai was a riot!

here's one for those with a hard stomach- irreversible. stars monica bellucci (the girl in matrix 2 with the latex dress). Some gritty stuff

boondock saints is one of my favorite cult films, hilarious!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts