Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really didn't see any great movies released this year. A couple above average and a few average. My wife said between the theaters and '03 released DVD's, we watched about 100 of them throughout the year.
I'll list the one that stood out the most:
Seabiscuit - Slow start, but picks up with an excellent true old-fachioned Hollywood story (even for those who don't care much for horses). While Jeff Bridges does his usual stand-up job, Chris Cooper as the mysterious trainer was the best actor in this flick. Also includes Tobey Maguire who at times does a great job and Gary Stevens is first-rate as his replacement rider.

Best DVD's:
These 3 were released this year, but are older movies:
Tombstone - 10th Anni/Director's cut - One of my all time favorite movies and even though I already had the original release, had to buy this one for the added scenes and extras.
Once Upon A Time In America - Just like Tombstone, one of my all time favorite movies with one difference, this is the first time this has been released in VDV format. This is the original that comes in at almost four hours, but if you have the time, much worth the time investment. I really think this is Robert De Niro and James Woods best movie.
Scarface 20th Anni - Al Pacino stars as Tony Montana, an exiled Cuban criminal who goes to work for a Miami drug lord. Might be Pacinos (and director Brian DePalma) best film. Julianne ranks this one a her second fave of the year (behind 'Finding Nimo'). As with the other two films listed above, better than anything made this year by a long shot.

Worst movie I (actually we, as Julianne agrees) saw this year:
Analyze That - althougth last years Showtime is actually worse, this one isn't to far from the why-oh-why would anyone spend a plug nickel to watch this crap. Nothing to review other than De Niro was in this movie (just like Showtime) for nothing more than to get a big paycheck.

Ok, I listed mine, how about yours?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Finding Nemo (A great kids flick and really good animations)
Scarface.. finally... :)
Gangs of New York... was better in the theatre, but still a great flick!
X2... featured a lot more the X-Men that I liked from the comics

There were also several box sets released from tv shows, Alias, West Wing, another Sopranos installment and more.

But, probably THE best and most watched DVD of 2004 in the Matt R. household..........:drum roll:.................

JACKASS!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have to say Return of the King was not only my favorite movie this year but also I think it is the best movie ever made. Sure it left out some scenes from the book but it finished off the trilogy in epic fashion. I also liked xmen 2 very much. It also varied heavily from the comics both in continuity and character development but not a bad film at all.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Once Upon A Time In America! I haven't seen that for years and I will agree that is a great movie! Thanks for reminding me. :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I read this wrong and thought we were talking about just DVDs. LMAO! Shows where my reading comprehension is....

Looking back at the year I don't think I went to any movies at the theatre except Finding Nemo, which was a really good flick. Classic cinema, no, but still a good movie. That being said, there are still a couple I want to see that are 2003 movies.

The Last Samurai (yeah, yeah it's Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise. But, I like these kind of movies.)
Master and Commander (not a big Russel Crowe fan, but still wanna see it.)
and Big Fish looks like the movie of the year.

The Return of the King looks good, but I'll wait for Big Ron to buy the DVD. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Return of the King was excellent! 3+ hours in the theater went by very quickly.

Nemo was good too. Best animated film in quite a while IMHO.

Pirate of the Caribbean would be my top favorite of the year though. Johny Depp was awesome. Pirates is one of my favorite rides at Disney World. I got a big kick out of seeing some of the scenes from the ride recreated in the movie.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Believe it or not, the only movie I've actually seen this year was Master and Commander. Good stuff!

Strike that. Just remembered that I saw Gangs of NY in the theater but there were some serious problems with the sound system. Full of static! Argh!:c

Rented Finding Nemo. Very enjoyable.

Not that it was from 2003, but I watched Hitch's Lifeboat from 1944. Gotta be one of my favorite Hitch movies so far. Love what he does with the one act dramas...

Looking forward to Return of the King from all of the hubub. Seabuscuit too. And Pirates of the Caribbean.

·
-
11,412 Posts
UNDERWORLD!!

UNDERWORLD!!!

just about anything with vampires is cool with me, and when you throw in a hotsy-totsy straight haired brunette... WOOOHOOOO!!

very cool movie. so good that i PAID to watch it twice on a business trip to texas in nov. now that it's out on DVD, a buddy of mine (coppertop on these forums) bought it for me. my 3 yr old and i watched it today during lunch (had to babysit while my wife had an eye appt).

made to look similar to the first Matrix movie... tight leather, but this KATE makes it that much more appealing to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I really liked Gangs of New York, turned me on to Daniel Day Lewis.

Liked the Contender, turned me on to Gary Oldman.

(My memory sucks) This year? I did see Pirates more times than any other movie, even ROTK.

Been into foreign films this year and love it. Just saw Amelie (great!). Irreversible comes to mind also with monica bellucci (persephone in Matrix reloaded)- that's one tough movie!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.