Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody read this book by Eric Schlosser? After reading it you will never want a Big Mac again!

The book details the rise of the fast food industry and how the corporations have an amazing amount of control over the entire food production complex of this country. And of course, it talks about what exactly is in those burgers. :pu

I highly recommend this book to those citizens who are conscience and not hypnotized by the powers that be in this country.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I keep meaning to read it. Being the vegan that I am, I dont really ever eat fast food, except BK veggie burgers on occassion. I feel kinda sick when I see what we are feeding our kids today, and our own bodies.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
And we wonder why our kids are so fat? I wonder how I got so fat???????? Oh Yeah...EATING!!!!

Thanks for the heads up Jeff..

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I hate fast food. I got so sick one day from a breakfast at McDonalds that I thought I was going to die! Never again! I rather stay hungry for a few hours before eating anything from those places.

·
Registered
727 Posts
JustAyoungMC said:
the worrisome fact is: while it is called fast food nation, the meathandling/processing/etc portion also applies to the meat you eat in restaurants or even buy at the grocery store.
Very true, so if you choose to eat it, why not eat Organic meat, or meat you killed yourself? It is more expensive, but it is so much better for you.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TheSmokingHiker said:
Very true, so if you choose to eat it, why not eat Organic meat, or meat you killed yourself? It is more expensive, but it is so much better for you.
I wish it was that simple. I have done a lot of reading on the state of the beef industry in this country. It is absolutley disgusting how they turned something as wholesome as our food supply into an assemply line factory system. You also need to choose grass feed cows that aren't "finished" at one of those feedlots and pumped full of antibiotics. Studies have shown that grass feed beef is significantly lower in cholesterol and bad fats than corn/soy fed beef.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I need to check this book out.....and rent the mover Super Size Me (I think that is it's title.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to confess I have not finished the book yet, but so far it's a good read and a real eye opener.

I'm nowhere near being a veggie (rather the opposite), but I still think the meat industry has a long way to go.

As I'm working as a chef from time to time (nice way to keep in touch with reality which is sometimes far away in the IT-swamp) I read up on the meat production in south america.

Apparently in many cases they pretty much let the cattle roam free and just round them up when their time is due. Hell of a lot more humane than breeding them in farms, but at least over here it's still cheaper than domestic meat.

That's the ethical part of my rambling.

The culinary part is that I'll take one of my home made grilled burgers over any of the fastfood offers any day of the week!

And IMHO Bic Macs' is just an emergency option if you're really hungover (or still drunk), but that might just be me being picky ;)

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
voidone said:
I'm nowhere near being a veggie (rather the opposite), but I still think the meat industry has a long way to go.
I agree. Over the last few years I've actually started to eat a lot of Bison meat. Theres a co-op in the Dakotas and its readily available in my town. It tastes great and is actually not too bad for you (much leaner than cattle beef). Didn't mean to go off topic, I've never read the book but I've been terrified of fast food for awhile now.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I was a vegetarian once for about a year and a half, but that was only because I was dating a vegetarian. We broke up and I had a ribeye for dinner. And it was yummy.

Growing up my mom wouldn't let us eat fast food, so I've only eaten it on a couple of occasions. I don't have anything against it and kind of think it got a bad rap, because it's not supposed to be a dietary staple. But it never crosses my mind to actually go to a fast food joint.

So that was off topic a bit. I know my sister read the book and really liked it. She recommended it to me, but I think it has parts in it that would gross me out so I haven't read it. Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It was mandatory for all freshman at LSU to read this book, we all had a big session and the author came to talk to us about it..all i liked was the history of it...anyone want to read it? Ill do a PIF if you guys want to read it...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I read an article about a college professor who, out of curiosity, did the same MC DOnald's diet that the "Super Size Me" guy did, but he excersized for like 30 minutes to an hour every day. He actually lost 17 pounds. WHich is funny- this isn't to say this is a wise diet to go on, but it does make the point that even more than what we take in, lack of physical activity is probably an even bigger issue for Americans. I know it is for me.
-eef

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
But eef, don't you get your physical activity in when you're rockin' out???

I know that musicians burn some serious energy out there on the stage, take it from someone who is somewhat of a concert whore :D

In fact they're are a lot of bands that go non-stop for like 2 hours and the whole time they're just sweatin' and runnin' their asses off.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:
But eef, don't you get your physical activity in when you're rockin' out???

I know that musicians burn some serious energy out there on the stage, take it from someone who is somewhat of a concert whore :D

In fact they're are a lot of bands that go non-stop for like 2 hours and the whole time they're just sweatin' and runnin' their asses off.
*cough* mudvayne *cough*

haha my favorite band..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.