Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, any other car fanatics out there? If so what do you drive. I've got a 01 Vette Conv. (white) for a daily driver. I've done all the usual bolt-on mods and am considering a cam and heads next. It dynoed 384 h.p. at the rear wheels. I also have a 427 shelby Cobra replica (dark blue) with a mustang 5.0 drivetrain (dry weekends only). I've done pretty much all the mods you can do (besides supercharger) it has 260 hp and 303 torque at the r.w.'s. The mods I've done should have yielded a lot more h.p., but I found out it the engine it came stock with, was a 1995 T-bird 5.0. This has lower compression than the Mustang 5.0. I think if I just replace the lower end with forged stuff (higher compression) it should put out in the mid 300's easy. It has all the best stuff otherwise, edelbrock heads,GT-40 intake,Ford Motor sports cam, etc. Still very fast at a little over 2300lbs. I bought this as a turnkey deal. If I could get the 10 grand I put in the engine back, I'd probably just put in a 427 and a Trem. H.D. tranny, and be done with it! Already has a Ford 9in rearend. Should handle the power , no problem. :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm a car nut too, but I have a crappy car right now due to being a poor college student:z

Please tell me that vette is a stick, because if it's a automatic I may lose all respect in you :r

·
-
11,412 Posts
Treyjo43 said:
Please tell me that vette is a stick, because if it's a automatic I may lose all respect in you :r
lol... when i look for a car that i WANT to drive, it has to be a stick. they're just so much more fun to drive.

btw - i have a highly stock ZOOM ZOOM (mazda protege 2.0) and a highly slow stock low level Ford Ranger Edge...

i'm not too into muscle cars, but i would love for a nice european sports car to be parked in my driveway one of these days. :mad:

if i were to get a dream car, it would be CHRISTINE!! yes, from the movie... i love old cars like that, i'm just not much to WORK on them.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Street raced and track raced for years in my younger days.

Now I just have a S4. Fun but it definetly dosent launch like my old 11 second 1969 Camaro did. A scary car for sure when the front end lifts with a solid hook up and all you see is sky out the windshield for the first 2 seconds.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Porsche 911 GT3.............. :z

·
-
11,412 Posts
11 sec 1/4 mile?

my '98 Ninja ZX-6r would've blown in away :rolleyes: . those can do high 10s off the show room floor (as long as you don't flip over backwards)
:z

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool cars guys! I'll try to post a picture later. Car and Driver(July 04) just did a road test on the Factory Five Cobra 427 replica, with a 302 like mine. 0-60 in 3.6 seconds! It has a little more rubber under it than mine, I can't get a good hookup. I weigh about 165lbs, when my buddy is in the passenger seat (220lbs) I can get a pretty good launch.

Treyjo43, sorry to dissapoint, it is an auto. If you went for a ride, I think I could win your respect back though. :) I have a Diablo programmer, and have programmed it to shift hard and fast. The car has so much power, you have to be careful. You drop the hammer with the traction control off, you find yourself sideways real quick! I just don't like a stick for a daily driver. Lots of stop and go traffic in Fl. Also a lot easier to smoke a cigar!

The Cobra replica is of course a stick (5 spd). I've seen people put autos in these and wonder why. Not very authentic, no Shelby Cobras came with automatics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh, now I'm jealous....

The Cobra (even the replica ;) ) is one of my dream cars.
The other one being a Porsche 911 Targa
(as long as we're talking cars within reasonable reach)

Only problem is that these cars are bloody unpractical for my needs, and considering the cost of just owning a car, I can't really justify owning two.

Not that I'm unhappy with my very standard MB E240, but still....

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hey nothing wrong with a Mercedes Benz. I love them. Great cars.

Ctop

·
Registered
69 Posts
No arguments there, CT.
Just had this one for three days now, but it sure is a nice ride. Smooth as silk.

Takes some time getting used to though, since the MB is a lot bigger than the Saab I had before.

But I still feel that a Porsche or a Cobra would complement the MB quite nicely. (one can always dream...)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yeah if I win the Lotto I'll have one of those in my garage. I'll drive it down to the So-Cal Herf so you can drool on it personally :D

That MB is a beauty....with the aid of McClaren it is light and fast. Who wouldn't want one????

Ctop

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brandon said:
Besides forged pistons, rods, and crank, how about milling down the heads a little?
Don't know too much when it comes to engines and machine work. What does that do?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Fredster said:
Don't know too much when it comes to engines and machine work. What does that do?
Basically, you are planing the contact surface of the heads and removing some of the material. By doing so, this reduces the volume of the combustion chamber at top dead center.... producing a higher compression ratio. Whether or not this is feasible depends on the existing clearance between the pistons and the heads. You gotta be careful though when increasing compression. You don't want to go too high, or you won't be able to run pump gas.

Also, you could considering port and polishing the heads if they aren't already.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.