Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to this forum and was wondering if anyones got some really good ways to identify fakes?

I've been reading too much about fakes and been ripping through my boxes inspecting them! My HDM Petit Robustos seem to have failed! Square cut on the top right cedar insert! Not... concave.

If there is any resident expert with good tips for me on how to spot the bad ones I'd appreciate it? I'd hate to do a box split or sell a box of crap to anyone!

All my others seem to pass everything I can find on-line (but need factory codes!) Most of the Cubans I have are SFX and JNL at the moment? Any good web sites I'm missing for recent box codes?

I'm going to be picking up quite a few boxes over the coming months and don't want too stock my humi with junk only to find out later.

Thanks in advance.

· -
11,798 Posts
i've read that sometime in the middle of 04, they started randomizing box codes (not the dates, but factory), so asking about a specific factory code from mid-late 04 on won't help much.

just what "I" have read from more knowledgeable smokers than I.

----

and there are many sites that have a way to help you identify if you have obvious fakes... but keep in mind, it's cuba, so some things might be out of place but they could still be real habanos sa cigars.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
As IHT said, factory codes these days are pretty random, so it goes back to finding a reliable source. As far as packaging, even when everything looks right, you can still have fakes :mad: How do they taste???

· Registered
263 Posts
CVP, I wouldnt' count your HdM out yet, just because the notch isn't cut correctly doesn't mean they're junk. Cuba is full of errors and human's make mistakes or machines break so they have to cut them by hand. If the seal passes the test and cigars smoke good, chances are they are real.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They taste great! But I am a newbe to Cigars so still learning.

I've sent 3 (Robusto, PSD#4 and Edmundo) boxes to my brother in law in Canada as he's a big cigar guy and he's loved them (except one box was sitting around in my place here for a bit too long before I got my humidor and was a bit dry) You'll be happy to know they have been rejuvinated and been smoking nicely.

No concerns from him about authenticity and he has brought them by his local Habanos distributer for verification.

Also just noticed that the band is slightly larger (fatter) on the Petit Robusts as opposed to the (3) boxes of Epicure #2's I have. This I'm assuming should not be?

If I can figure out how to downsize a few pics I'll put them up but right now they are too large to attach.

Maybe I'll bring them by a smoke shop here but.... problem is no one speaks any English in this town.

· Registered
263 Posts
Well bands are different sizes for different size smokes. An epi 1 should match and epi 1 but may not match an epi 2. I can't verify cause I only have unbanded epis. Anyway. Do be so discriminating, because the Cubans aren't.

· Pickin a Winner!
1,195 Posts
The bad thing about cigar web pages online is that they never change, at least most of them. Alot has changed in the last 5-6 years, so as they said, buy right, learn the taste and hope for the best. The curved cut has been mostly an old wives tale for awhile. I can tell you that MOST true cuban cigars are rolled with two binder leaves, and most fakes are only wrapped with one, but that tidbit is strictly anecdotal, and not a sure thing. It's just my experience. The "counterfeit gallery" is more wild goose chase than fact, but still a good place for helping you spot HUGE obvious fakes. The steady facts never change,(the irons, triple caps, real factory codes, new seals) but even bad fakes can imitate the real packaging, IF the packaging isn't recycled real stuff at that!

· Registered
17 Posts
Where did you buy them in Cuba? Did you buy them in a store there? LCdH, LCdT, Tienda Caracol, etc? If you bought them at a Cuban dollar store, they are most certainly 100% legit. If however you bought them on the street because a really nice man came up to you and told you that he has a friend, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, etc. who works in 'the factory' and get them cheap, then they're almost certainly fake.

Chris

· Registered
16 Posts
Ditto the info. above re: sticking with dependable sources. Whether the cedar sheet dividing the layers of cigars has a rounded notch or simply a straight cut means nothing. I have many legit. boxes that I have picked up on the island and ordered elsewhere that have the straight cuts. They used to be exclusively rounded, but no longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts