Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently talking about a split with a fellow BOTL at work the other day when all of the sudden another contractor overhears our conversation and pipes up and says "Oh you guys smoke cigars huh?" Being that he inquired I figured he must be a LOTL also. So I reply "yeah we both do why, are you into cigars". I thought cool maybe this guy would like to get together for a smoke some time. When all the sudden he replies "No I used to smoke them but then it got to be the popular thing to do, so I gave it up". Instantly I thought, oh yeah :fu . I guess I just don't understand why it would matter for what reason anyone else is smoking cigars if you are a true LOTL and especially why that would make you quit unless the only reason that yu smoked at all was to create some false image for yourself in the first place. After that brief conversation I felt better off not being compared to that jackbag.

I'll got off my :sb

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Well, perhaps I can explain his attitude, having once held it myself. I can see from your profile that you were born about the time that I graduated from high school, so you missed some of that “wonderful” time known as the “80’s”.

I used to sneak a cigar here and there when I was younger. Never had access to the “premium” brands because the just simply did not exist in my small town. However, the local grocery stores carried the US made, machine rolled brands, and I became rather partial to the old Robert Burns Blackwatch. I never could stand anything about cigarettes, but I have always liked the smell of burning cigars and pipes. I also experimented with pipes a bit, but found them too high maintenance.

Well, along came the ‘80’s and ‘90’s and the new prosperity, for some. Soon, nearly all you could see were Yuppie poseurs with their suspenders and expensive stogies. To make matters worse, the price of “premium” cigars, when you could find them, were going through the roof. I, and many other working men, was simply not prepared to pay two hours of my pay for a cigar. So, considering that the cigars that I was smoking were not the best to begin with, and seeing that the cigar smoking scene was shifting from working men in a bar after a union meeting to stuck up poseur snobs, I gave up the pastime for quite a few years and pursued other pleasures.

What brought me back? The end of the cigar boom. The “wonderful” economy that we are now enjoying has also put things into perspective, and fewer people are willing to burn their paychecks in front of their noses. In addition, the poseurs that were using cigars as a status symbol are, for the most part, no longer with us. I believe this has the result that currently we have some of the best cigars ever made at prices that are reasonable. Granted, most of us cannot afford to smoke four or five La Auroras a day, but a good number of people can enjoy a relatively good cigar a couple of times a week without taking a loan for it. And for my part, five Punch Robustos at the local Tobacco Hut cost me same portion of my hourly pay as a three pack of Burns cost me 20 years ago, so why not go for the import.

I am also older now. Time is very important to me, and having some of it to relax and enjoy has become increasingly important, particularly after the death of a couple close friends of mine. I find cigar smoking to be a relaxing pastime that allows me to unwind and think. I never needed to have half a week’s pay hanging in front of my face to make me feel good about myself and impress others, and I don’t need that now. I smoke in private, and I tend to stick to one or two brands, kind of like the old days. For me, it is not a game of conquest to see how many different brands that I can smoke, nor is it some “bonding” activity. I am not much into the CA crowd, which still reminds me of what I didn’t like about the pastime before. I still consider “domestic” brands to be Robert Burns, Phillies and Dutch Masters. I consider cigars from Honduras and the Dominican Republic to be premium imports; even the ones that “only” cost $3 - $4 a piece. And yes, I do keep a few cigars marked “Habana”, more due to my leftist leanings than for taste since I believe that many of the current crop of imports are equally as good as or better than the Cubans that I have smoked (no, not the $3 ones).

Perhaps this does not make me a “true” LOTL in some people’s eyes. I really don’t give a darn. But can tell you this, I WILL be enjoying the taste and aroma of a fine cigar tonight as has been my nightly custom for a while, and I will LOVE every minute of it. And thanks to people willing to share some information (and cigars) like the people on this board, I have had the opportunity to try some really fine cigars.

I hope this gives some insight into at least one other persons feelings on the matter.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
I still consider "domestic" brands to be Robert Burns, Phillies and Dutch Masters. I consider cigars from Honduras and the Dominican Republic to be premium imports; even the ones that "only" cost $3 - $4 a piece. And yes, I do keep a few cigars marked "Habana", more due to my leftist leanings than for taste................

Hey I don't know much about your "leftist leanings", try using the other hand once and a while, but I agree with the rest of the statement above. Thanks for your post. Robert Burns Blackwatch-I used to smoke those on the golf course all the time when I was a youngin! Psst, BTW, I know where you can get the $3-$4 premium imports for $1-$2 if your willing to do a little leg work at the cough,cough site. You might want to try it out

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
One of my first purchases was Robert Burns. Good, decent cigars!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
He sounds like the annoying music snobs...

Regular person: "Hey this band is pretty cool!"
AMS: "Yyyeah....but they were cooler back in '97 when I first heard them. Everyone likes them now and they've sold out."

·
Registered
394 Posts
Arleban said:
He sounds like the annoying music snobs...

Regular person: "Hey this band is pretty cool!"
AMS: "Yyyeah....but they were cooler back in '97 when I first heard them. Everyone likes them now and they've sold out."
Yeah, but come on...you gotta admit...pre-"sellout" Metallica ROCKED.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
CigarHoss said:
Yeah, but come on...you gotta admit...pre-"sellout" Metallica ROCKED.
Heck yeah! I have every Metallica album up to the self titled one. After that... worthless. Can't stand Lars anymore. He seems like a spoiled little brat. I think they went downhill after Cliff Burton died.

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts
Thread-jack...Thread-Jack...Thread-Jack
PDS... I see that you are a wide receiver... I understand the Vikes are looking for a new one and since your are in Minnesota your might check it out...

Oh... wait a minute... that's "whine" receiver... :r

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.