Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a CAO Brazilia out of my humidor and on vacation with me to 10,000' elevation from my home at 1600'. On the second day of being at that elevation, I couldn't wait to smoke it but when I lit it, the wrapper started to unravel and the tobacco inside came apart and the whole thing came unglued. Anyone have a similar problem with altitude or low humidity.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Pictures would be great if you have any.

I had a problem sort of along those lines with a coke I attemped to open while flying at 10,000 ft. The C02 leaked out of it with the cap partially opened for about 30 minutes. Luckily I just didn't quickly open it or there would have been coke everywhere in my students new $300,000 plane.

Pretty interesting story though about the cigar, didn't think those things were made that tight. I guess the best way to take cigars at high altitude is to try to remember to skewer it all the way through before reaching altitude. I think that would let all the pressure on the inside equalize while you climb.

I would think that only a fully closed perfecto would do this though.

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
I've seen this with another product at high elevation. I used to live in Lake City, Co. Elevation 8,681 feet.

The two small food stores there could not stock Lays WOW potatoe chips. They would stock the shelves with them and when they came in the next morning all the bags had exploded and there were chips everyplace. They had no problem with the other Lays potatoe chips or other manufacturers of chips.

The humidity in Lake City was often around 35% and was hell on trying to store cigars. I suspect the sudden low humidity had more to do with your cigars damage at that elevation.

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
this is a great question/observation...have never seen it on a cigar bb before.

i live at altitude...over 1000meters(about 3500 feet) and have always wondered about the effects of altitude on cigars.

observations(but i cant state anything as fact)...

cigars in a 5 pack in cuba smoke just fine,get home with 2 or 3 of em and they are a tight draw(not plugged) and require 4 to 6 weeks before the draw is normal.

when meeting friends in edmonton(about 1200 feet)all my cigars "seem"to have a looser draw.have noticed this when smoking an identicle smoke at my place one day and the next in edmonton.

seems that cigars age slower over a period of years.this may just be me but i always wondered if it was due to less oxygen in the air.

derrek :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
(909) said:
I took a CAO Brazilia out of my humidor and on vacation with me to 10,000' elevation from my home at 1600'. On the second day of being at that elevation, I couldn't wait to smoke it but when I lit it, the wrapper started to unravel and the tobacco inside came apart and the whole thing came unglued. Anyone have a similar problem with altitude or low humidity.
FYI: It happens alot with CAO products, Brazilia especially, great cigars but inconsistent quality. I had 6 out of a box do the same here and i'm on a hill overlooking the ocean...not "too" high :D .

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hammer, your experience kinda pisses me off :c . You stated that you had some CAOs blow up on you at sea level. I brought 3 smokes with me on vacation and smoked the first one, the CAO and when it blew up, I put the rest away. I was afraid to light another for fear of the same problem. Thanks to poor quality control issues, I passed up a 64 Padron anny and an Ashton Cabinet VSG on my vacation :mad: . I my sound like I'm whining but you guys know what I mean.

I won't be buying CAO again. :fu

·
Registered
258 Posts
(909) said:
Hammer, your experience kinda pisses me off :c . You stated that you had some CAOs blow up on you at sea level. I brought 3 smokes with me on vacation and smoked the first one, the CAO and when it blew up, I put the rest away. I was afraid to light another for fear of the same problem. Thanks to poor quality control issues, I passed up a 64 Padron anny and an Ashton Cabinet VSG on my vacation :mad: . I my sound like I'm whining but you guys know what I mean.

I won't be buying CAO again. :fu
You passed up two of my all time favorites ...Doh! :p

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lord Hammer is right, especially with the larger rings in the series. It's a mystery.

FWIW, try the Piranha line. I've found them to be far more consistent and still pretty flavorful in spite of their size.

bd

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
The last CAO Samba I smoked self-destructed when I got about 2/3 done with it. I'm at sea level and the thing had been in my humidor with a drymistat tube. I think it is simply a construction isssue more than anything else. :confused:

SB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.