Cigar Forums banner

Evolving palate

536 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  amsgpwarrior 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I started out smoking cigars seriously about 6 or 7 months ago. I've been smoking the inexpensive sticks..Purios Indios, PI Siembre de Oro, Tierra del Sol, Pirate's Gold, etc, and at first I just wanted to smoke cigars -- even if it wasn't so great. As time has progressed, I've found myself wanting to move up the rungs of complexity, even if it means smoking fewer sticks (budget). Did anyone else find themselves with a similar palate evolution?

Edited out

#3 ·
Blake, I definitely started out the same as you. It started out just smoking cigars, now it's a true obsession. I'm always searching for something else, more complex, more flavor, better or whatever.

As for the trades, you'll have access to that forum soon enough (90 days and 100 posts I think). We're not supposed to respond and you're not supposed to solicit, it's one of the forum rules (I'm sure a mod will remind you soon). You can probably hit up the newbie PIF or something to find some of those sticks...

#7 ·
A lot of us probably had similar experiences as far as when we started this passion. Some of us like me only had drug store cigars to pick from when I started in the early 70's and as the years went by our tastes migrated to a more mature cigar that was better in every way. The cigars you suggested which are not as pricey are still good cigars and should not be sold short...they fulfil a purpose and even old salts like myself still smoke them. As your tastes mature you will appreciate the cigars that are premium and ultra premium but let your tastes decide what you like...not the advertising.

#8 ·
Yeah, well sort of. I shopped at a local store in Dallas owned by a cuban guy named Ernesto who took me under his wing pretty quickly and showed me the good stuff early on. He went on to open the Havana Social Club in Dallas, and I moved to Central, Texas. Sometimes it takes a mentor to learn more about the cigar game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.