Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
-
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, i have to revise my essay and i need some interviews to be used as "sources".

could some of you help me out by answering some questions for me? thanks in advance.
----------------------------------

1 - as an American citizen, do you feel smoking a Cuban cigar has any effect on the safety of America or it's people?

2 - How did it make you feel knowing that until this summer, someone on an official visit to Cuba could bring back cigars legally to the US, while you could not legally do the same (meaning congressmen, who keep the embargo in place yet took full advantage of this loophole)?

3 - how does it make you feel when you're at a bar that's filled with cigarette smoke, but when you try to light up a nice cigar, they tell you that it's not allowed?

4 - do you feel there should be a difference in allowing cigarette or cigar smoking?

5 - explain how you feel that the Decloration of Independence, "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness," should allow your right to smoke a cigar in an area that allows "smoking" (c'mon guys, i need to use 4 sources from "print", i know i'm reaching, but help a BOTL out)

if you guys feel i'm missing something that could be helpful, please let me know. i'm writing about cuban cigars, and how hypocritical it was of JFK to have Salinger go out and grab 1,000 petit upmanns the night before he signed the embargo. also, i'm throwing in there how stupid it is that there are places that allow nasty cigarette smoke, but won't allow cigars (what is the difference, really).

i also delve into the treasury dept and how they "used to" allow people on official visits to cuba to bring back $100 worth of good "per person", yet the entire family would go down there with congressman X...

also, if anyone knows of a place on the web that has info on 2nd hand smoke from cigars compared to cigarettes, that would be appreciated. i simply don't have the time/bandwidth/net access to get this done on my own.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
Nite owl city huh?

1. I don't think smoking a Cuban cigar has any effect on America's safety. In living though the cold war I think we did Cuba backwards. We should have used our culture to bring down Castro -- just as I feel our culture was our main weapon against Russia, with a strong military stance. We Americanized their cukture and their children -- we have (had) too many interesting things in the "free world" that oppressed people wanted.

2. Typical "big wig" attitude. They should be bound by the same law as I am.

3. CIgarette smokers are hypocritical when they take that stance, cigars smell better anyway

4 There should not be any difference --- although I don't think smoking should be allowed in resturants but should be in bars, ie at the owner discretion.

5 If an area allows smoking, then I would have to say that there isn't any difference between cigar and cigarette smoke vis a vis health effects, maybe the cigar smoke would have slightly less carcinogens in it. Who knows what crap they put in cigarettes to make them taste good.

As far as Kennedy being hypocriitical, I think he was trying to do the right thing as all the presidents since the end of WW II did. They stood up to communism. Typical scenario however. Dictator that we semisupport and is corrupt is overthrown by a leader that gets help from the communists just because it dents our pocketbook and credibility. We, because of big business, colonialism, or something else, don't make nice with the new dictator and so we get in a pissing match. He nationalizes American (and Cuban) companies and we put an embargo on his goods. That basically is the crux of the matter now. Think of how many farms and brand names were taken from these guys, just name a Cuban cigar and that was somebodies property. That is going to be one hell of a mess for the courts to sort out, isn't it. Didn't mean to ramble too much sorry
As far as second hand smoke from cigars/cigs I'm not sure this site specifically talks about second hand smoke but it does have a lot of good data about cigar/cig cancer rates and well refenced scientific studies. Try this reference http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/health/
since it is late, if you need anything else just PM me -- good luck on your paper

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
IHT said:
guys, i have to revise my essay and i need some interviews to be used as "sources".

could some of you help me out by answering some questions for me? thanks in advance.
----------------------------------

1 - as an American citizen, do you feel smoking a Cuban cigar has any effect on the safety of America or it's people?

No. Not when walmart can carry an 18 BILLION dollar inventory of communist chinesse goods. Anymore, the embargo is only in effect because of the cuban american vote in florida, not because of any security threat. It is pure politics.

2 - How did it make you feel knowing that until this summer, someone on an official visit to Cuba could bring back cigars legally to the US, while you could not legally do the same (meaning congressmen, who keep the embargo in place yet took full advantage of this loophole)?

Well, it is their right as a congressperson to go to banned countries. Is this abused sometimes ? yes of course. The former governer of Illinios went to cuba and gave a gift of medical and food supplies to the cuban people. This was done in hopes once the embargo was lifted that Illinois would become a huge trader with cuba and both econmies would benifit. So I think the benifits outweigh the negatives when our elected leaders go to cuba.

3 - how does it make you feel when you're at a bar that's filled with cigarette smoke, but when you try to light up a nice cigar, they tell you that it's not allowed?

Well, for one I make sure I dont go back there. I understand that cigars put way more smoke in the air compared to a cigarette. If you have a couple of guys that pull out a D.C and start smoking you could bury the place with smoke. Also, I Dont like to smoke in cigarette filled smokey places, reduces my enjoyment of my fine cigar.

4 - do you feel there should be a difference in allowing cigarette or cigar smoking?

Yes, sorry but our cigars put out a lot of smoke. Most places can handle cigarette smoke, but a couple of guys smoking a cigar, combine it with the cigarette smoke and it is too much. Again, I dont like cigarette smoking interfering with my cigar so I am pickey where I smoke.

5 - explain how you feel that the Declaration of Independence, "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness," should allow your right to smoke a cigar in an area that allows "smoking" (c'mon guys, i need to use 4 sources from "print", i know i'm reaching, but help a BOTL out)

Well I think all somkers rights are being infringed upoun, with the banning of smoking in indoor places going on in many states. Establishments should have the right to put in better ways of dealing with the smoke instead of having to force their customers to not to smoke and lose bussiness. In a free country we should be more accomadating.

Here is some health stuff on smoking cigars http://cigarweekly.com/community/resources/health.asp

Hope this helps some, probably not the answers you are looking for :p

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
IHT said:
The boycott against Cuban products is a decision promulgated by two-faced stupid US politicians that has more to do with Castro's longevity than political issues on the island. For example, political repression is worse in Red China, one of our best trading partners. Red China has invaded Tibet and brutally repressed their people, they have killed thousands of their own students that demonstrated for democracy, they have WMD. But they're our pals. They're our buds. We trade out the wazoo with them and yet Cuba is a pariah. It makes no sense .... until you look at the importance of the Cuban vote in Florida for the US election. That is the SOLE and ONLY reason we have a boycott.

Here we are with a boycott on Cuba because of their political system and we give billions of dollars to another country whose soldiers shoot unarmed children:

An { } army officer who repeatedly shot a 13-year-old {} girl in { } dismissed a warning from another soldier that she was a child by saying he would have killed her even if she was three years old.

These guys are our pals, they are our buds, we give them billions, they kill unarmed kids and we don't trade with big bad Cuba. Barf.

Politicians are lying, self righteous, slimeballs. This surprises me not in the least.

Never been a bar that doesn't allow cigar smoking and never will. I see that on the wall and I either move outside or I leave.

No, but cigars smell better.

5 - explain how you feel that the Decloration of Independence, "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness," should allow your right to smoke a cigar in an area that allows "smoking" (c'mon guys, i need to use 4 sources from "print", i know i'm reaching, but help a BOTL out)
There must be a justification for the bar to ban cigars but not cigarettes. The point is becoming moot as states move to ban all smoking indoors. But the reality is that second-hand smoke from cigars has higher levels of some toxic compounds than from cigarette smoke. If a bar bans cigars then I wont go there. End of story.

I don't see how the Declaration of Independance provides rights to US citizens. It is an interesting historical document, but does it provide rights like the Constitution and its amendments? So I'm not with you there.

if you guys feel i'm missing something that could be helpful, please let me know. i'm writing about cuban cigars, and how hypocritical it was of JFK to have Salinger go out and grab 1,000 petit upmanns the night before he signed the embargo. also, i'm throwing in there how stupid it is that there are places that allow nasty cigarette smoke, but won't allow cigars (what is the difference, really).
JFK asked him to get 1000, but Salinger bought 1200 Petit Upmanns for him. Nice little cigars, by the way.

i also delve into the treasury dept and how they "used to" allow people on official visits to cuba to bring back $100 worth of good "per person", yet the entire family would go down there with congressman X...

also, if anyone knows of a place on the web that has info on 2nd hand smoke from cigars compared to cigarettes, that would be appreciated. i simply don't have the time/bandwidth/net access to get this done on my own.
http://www.co.genesee.ny.us/frameset.html?/dpt/publichealth/chcigarsmoke111703.html&1

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
You already know what I think. But for those who don't. While I understand mr.c reasoning on the difference between cigarette smoke and cigar smoke, I respectfully disagree. I think the problem lies more in the fact that more people smoke cigarettes....so WE have gotten use to the smell. But our cigars, smell different. They are a stronger smell, but that smell is a nice flavorful smell. But people aren't use to it, so it bothers them. I don't think that our cigars put out that much more then a room full of cigarette smokers. I know that they put out a lot, but one or two sticks in a room full of cigarette smokers couldn't possibly effect the smoke amount that much. But maybe it does.

I know in Germany IHT and I lit up a PSD4 and filled the restaurant we were in with smoke. Nobody in the restaurant said a word, well at least none that we understood. My point is that nobody said a thing to us, they might not have liked it, but they dealt with it.

I agree with everyone else, and like I said I understand you point of view mr.c. I just don't agree with it.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
coppertop said:
=I know in Germany IHT and I lit up a PSD4 and filled the restaurant we were in with smoke. Nobody in the restaurant said a word, well at least none that we understood. My point is that nobody said a thing to us, they might not have liked it, but they dealt with it.
yep, they dealt with it, mainly because they don't have smoking sections and more than half of them were smoking as soon as they were done eating as well. and if someone next to me was smoking while i was eating, i wouldn't say a peep either. thats just the way it goes over there... they don't put up with nonsense like we do over here.

i love going to germany.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not a deep political thinker but here goes:
1 - Only if their on the roadway when I'm driving to pick up my package of Puros that I've been tracking for a week.
2 - Congressmen have got a great job.
3 - I go spend my money at another bar. This bar sucks anyway.
4 - Smoke em if ya got em.
5 - An owner of property can make the rules for his property. You don't have to like it. Don't go there. Thats freedom.
6 - Any kind of 2nd hand smoke inhaled into the human lungs can't be good.

If Cuban cigars are outlawed - Then only outlaws smoke Cuban cigars.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
WHOOOO HOOOOO I've always wanted to be an Outlaw.

Good stereo equipment as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't wait until all smoking is banned indoors and people start becoming nauseated at the smell of the stinking sh ;) t women are putting in their hair and all over their bodies, maybe they'll ban women from indoors and re-introduce smoking. I'd rather bury my face in an ashtray than have to sit next to some stinking frillied up beauty queen while I'm eating, or drinking.
I don't have anything against women, except that it must be 75% of the time it's a woman with the problem about cigar smoke and probly about 95% of the time they smell worse.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dtrud0h - priceless... i always tell my 16 yr old step-son that he smells like a $2 whore when he swims out of the bathroom and all his "male perfume"....

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
dtrud0h said:
I don't have anything against women, except that it must be 75% of the time it's a woman with the problem about cigar smoke and probly about 95% of the time they smell worse.
Seriously correct, brother. You can blow smoke at me all day and it wont bother me as much as cigarette smoke, and worst of all is purfume.

Read this.....

http://www.fumento.com/halifax2.html

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Agree with SeanGar. Especially about the Declaration. Scalia made it official that it serves as nothing more than a sentimental document, for lack of a better term. Although I think it is important to keep in mind in that it was the basis for the formation of the Constitution, and should be thought of when interpreting the Constitution.

additional comments:

1 No harm. Cuba never was and never will be a powerful Communist force withough Russian finance and backing. But its kept in place to hide some embarassing moments, keep Americans who had invested in Cuba somewhat happy, and most importantly keep the Cuban vote. But I still like it...it maintains the quality of cuban cigars (discussed here before), and Im just a mean SOB.

5 You will have difficulty finding a way of twisting something into a "smoking right". A general understanding of the reasons for America's founding and the political philosophies used in forming the country would allow anyone with half a brain to understand the reason for allowing it, but we're talking half a brain...hard to find. You can make countless ties to prohibition and failed drug wars though. Im sure there are plenty of articles out there pairing those together.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Nice gay looking "green" glow LOL :D

No it looks nice, nice enough for me to :BS on

1 - 20 of 20 Posts