Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm a n00b here at CS and excited to start checking these forums out in depth...so now onto the first post!...
Has anyone ever found an elegant-looking dig. hygrometer that would fit in the front circular hole of the humidifier? I ask because we all know analogs suck - but sit pretty in the front of your humidor so you don't have to open it to check out the humidity.
Am I crazy, or does it seem insanely stupid no one produces elegant digitals to replace these pieces of crap, but still keep the humidor looking pretty? The only hygros I can find are ugly as sin, and meant to be used inside the humi. If anyone has seen anything like this please let me know. If not, maybe I should patent this idea because it only makes sense to me. Ya know, something with an elegant face w/ LED hands that replicate an analog.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
That would be nice. I have a hygro embedded in the front of my humi too. It's analog and it's worthless. I would swap it out for an attractive looking digital hyrgo in a NY minute if there was one (and it was a reasonable price).

· Registered
1,201 Posts
I agree it would be nice, but I have looked and not had any luck either. I use a calibrated digital on the inside, and keep the analog set to match it. It (the analog) used to read 15% off, so now I know it is close to what is going on in there without opening up the humi.
If you do ever find a nice digital replacement, you will be everyones hero.

· Registered
601 Posts
The Don Salvatore one pakrat posted might be just the ticket. It says it includes an adapter for retrofitting. Also the back of it is stepped. I could imagine that only the thinner part inserts in the humi and the rest sticks out. It would stick out about 0.5 inches.

I think it is quite nice looking. I love the display. The finish could still be higher quality for my taste.

Does anyone have a price for this?

Till

· Registered
601 Posts
That sounds like a good price. Like any hygrometer it would be best to calibrate it with salt test or boveda pack and perhaps have reference hygrometer against which a possible deviation can be checked.

I have two digital ones and have not even calibrated them yet. However, they show both the same humidity (on the temperature they are one degree apart). By the feel of my cigars the hygrometers are acceptably accurate.

Till

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good day!:)

Just got off the phone with Maryel...

1539 Gold Analog Style Digital Hygrometer

http://www.donsalvatore.net/products/product.php?id=138

The MSRP is $42.99...:D
Is anybody here going to scoop this up? I'd be really interested to know how their 'retrofit' is going to work as my hole diameter is around 2". If it got good remarks I'd jump on it in a second. Though as mentioned, the section at the front would stick out quite a bit from the humi...hmmm...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK now that we've all made it clear we all desire a hygrometer like this and we can't find an optimum solution...Who wants to start a side business with me to produce these things? :)
The hygrometer in discussion is par, not excellent. They didn't go far enough with their design and the front LCD is still pretty ugly - they really could have made the product much better.
Thanks for all your sleuthing help everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts