Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of you people who have decided to use a wine cooler to store your cigars, have you noticed a significant change to your electric bills? I was thinking of setting up a cooler, but seeing as I have no basement and I live in pretty hot part of Tennessee, my apartment fluctuates in temperature pretty frequently, therefore I'm considering saving some money up and buying the wine cooler before I turn my slope into a base jump and start buying the boxes out the wazoo.

· has moved on
1,024 Posts
I've never noticed a difference in my electric bill - I wouldn't think it would be that much.

Trust me - the electricity a cooler uses is beyond doubt the cheapest part of this hobby. :D

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you've got me decided, now if I get a thermoelectric, (the Haier 42 bottle is thermoelectric right?) would I need both the oasis and the beads?

· Registered
430 Posts
Well you've got me decided, now if I get a thermoelectric, (the Haier 42 bottle is thermoelectric right?) would I need both the oasis and the beads?
I do not think that the Haier is thermoelectric but I could be wrong. I have the 20 bottle Vinotemp from Target. It's on sale now for 179.99. I use two pounds of beads in mine and it's pretty stable at 68 Temp /63-65 RH. Here is a pic:

· Registered
730 Posts
Living in the desert the slight cost of running a wine cooler is pretty much a moot point for me, especially considering the cost of my stash.
Now, if I were to stop running that darned pool motor every doggoned day.......:confused:
I run a pound of beads and an Oasis unit in my 50 bottle sized chiller and have had pretty good luck. The real trick is to get the air moving around with a fan. Bought a 120v computer fan at Radio Shack for $20 and leave it running all the time. It really helped even out both the temp and humidity.:tu

· Registered
730 Posts
I use 2 oust fans, they work pretty well. :tu
Not enough movement for my sized box, so I went with a more active unit.

Hehehe - he said active unit.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.