Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1980 or thereabouts. Early 1980's.

Ok so I recieved this beautifully aged smoke from OpusEx as a birthday present. He tells me "So I hear it was your birthday. How old are you? How would you like to try something from around the year you were born?" At which point I completely lost it and started jumping around and singing the Birthday song. I was actually in shock and couldn't contain my constant drooling for at least a couple of hours (like that's any different from normal :D). So suffice to say I'm one happy camper. This would definitely be the oldest cigar I've ever had. I am eternally grateful to OpusEx for this experience.

So its been resting in my humi for a little while and today I thought..... well why not smoke it? Its been aging for awhile anyway. So I take this puppy out and you can tell its vintage, the look of the reddish brown wrapper, the feel of the leaf, the aroma of leathery tobacco, damn it was a sight to behold.

Oddly enough this was also the thinnest cigar I'd ever had not counting the Clubs and Mini's and whatnot. The Ring Gauge on this baby was about 28 or so, very thin but it had some length on it. I was really looking forward to this thing. So I sit down in my psuedo cigar lounge (Shed) and popped in a movie. I was watching Kurosawa's "Kagemusha" excellent flick I might add. So I light this baby up and was immediately greeted by a nice smooth tobacco aroma. I'm thinkin' damn this smoke is almost a velvety consistency. It wasn't an overly rich smoke but the flavor was something to behold. It was a very clean crisp tobacco taste. I don't know how else to describe it but it made my mouth feel fresh and clean. It wasn't a sharp flavor as you could tell that this thing was vintage. It was the smoothest smoke I've ever had, no harshness, no bite, no tannic flavor, just straight on enjoyable smooth.

This thing was well taken care of as well, thanx OpusEx for treatin' this stick right because it was evident in the smoke. Opus suggested I smoke this stick very slowly and let the flavors linger on my buds (tastebuds). So I'm fully enjoying this smoke taking it nice and easy and just letting the flavors melt on my tongue. DAMN, I'm lovin' this flavor, great tobacco flavor. About halfway down some spice starts creepin into the picture however the overall crisp clean flavor lingers.

So I'm gettin pretty far down on this stick and lovin' every minute of it. I'm watching 2 pissed of Samurai go at it and all of the sudden it hits me. This smoke is kickin' my ass :D I just realized that the spice I was talkin' about earlier was dominating the flavor profile while still retaining that smooth smoke. This thing had crept up on me while I was enjoying myself. I realized this and laughed (yes, I'm alone and laughing..... its sad really) to myself for letting this sucker get the best of me.

I smoked this thing till it was almost non existent. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and am now on the path to obtaining aged sticks (damn you Opus ;)) I now highly recommend that everyone gets their hands on some sticks that are older than they are. LOL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I now highly recommend that everyone gets their hands on some sticks that are older than they are. LOL
I know this is an old thread . Bonggoy gave me a ERDM Panetelas Larga from 83 in the all isom pif , so I wanted to see what this cigar was all about . From what I've read , I'm gonna have to lock myself in a room somewhere with no interuptions . :dr Nice review LasciviousXXX . The quote above is something that has been a goal of mine since a began the ride down the slope .

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man I can't believe its been a year and a half since I wrote this. How time flies :r

Looking back on this, this experience is what got me started on my search for vintage Habanos. Now I'm broke and an elitist snob HAHAHA. Thanx Marc for making me spend all my money.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Nice review Dustin. It's fun to look back at your first introductions to things you now treasure. Damn you though, now I have a great challenge - to smoke something older than myself. So far the oldest cigar I've had the pleasure of smoking was a 1978 ERDM Lonsdale (outstanding BTW). Now I'm on the hunt for anything 1957 or older :D

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Great cigar! Nubbed it. Top-10 for me.
You really need to try more cigars.

To me...good, not great.

I'll just have to send you some cigars to change that Top-10 list a bit. Seems it needs some revamping. ;) Shoulda came to LOLH and brought Freddy with instead of MMSing me pics of you and him playing grab ass...lmao.
You could be in trouble when the "No Snob" rule starts getting enforced by the anally retentive. :r

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.