Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed something light to smoke so I decided to smoke a El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme. (Gifted to me by a very generous BOTL! Thanks!) I hadnt tried this before so this was my first one. Ok, lit it up and it burned slightly a bit uneven. But didnt matter it produced enogh smoke to satisfy me. But as I knew earlier this wasnt going to be a fullbodied smoke. Well, to tell the truth I was a little bit disappointed but not much really. Coffe, woody flavours came out of the stick and it was kind of good but mild. The cigar was probably mild-medium bodied, more mild then medium Im afraid... If I had to choose some mild cigars I would choose CAO Gold or Avo XO instead... but thats just me... Well, now I know how it is and I saved a bit of money not buying a 50 cab of it as I intended... Good cigar but definately not a favourite...

3.6-3.7 out of 5.0

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Re: El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme

age on these help. Good morning cigar with a cup of coffee , the coffe real brings out the best in this stick.

Your right, not a cigar that will blow your doors off but I believe it has its time and place.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts

I would have to agree with you 100% on your review. A very mild smoke with coffee and honey notes in the background. I have heard these with some age are very tasty, but I can think of many more less expensive domestics or even a Cohiba Club to smoke in the morning.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Gotta agree with Mr C on this. I had a 98 a few months back that was awesome with a cup o joe. I have one left, waiting for the right morning. Wish I had picked up some more. The 04's I have are a nice mild to medium smoke, but don't have the flavor of that 98. I hope they age well.

GoatLocker

·
CS Cog
1,097 Posts

I just had one from FEB 2005 Cabinet Selection. It was a nice stick, but I really think some more age will improve it. Nice, dark, oily stick. Construction seemed a bit loose and the draw was nice until the end, where it became loose. It started out very harsh, with little flavor but a nice Cuban finish. After the 1/2 inch mark it started to bring out some subtle flavors from time to time, but was fairly inconsistent. The last 2 inches were really nice, however. Subtle, creamy flavors with a nice finish. I have a few more which time will hopefully improve.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

I have one, but now with all the talk I think I will keep it tucked away.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Interesting observation about the Body of this smoke. I had exactly the same opinion when I reviewed this cigar a last month. Here is part of what I thought:

The draw on the Choix Supreme was great. The burn, though uneven at times, always managed to straighten out all by itself, making this cigar a nice relaxing smoke; you can put away your lighter and forget it.

The ash is gray (like most Cuban cigars), solid, and very long. The finish is long and woody.

I should mention that this cigar has received a score of 92 from Cigar Aficionado magazine. Where I am at odds with that review is in the fact that they labeled the Choix Supreme a "powerhouse" and a "dark" robusto. Well, I did not notice much of anything "dark" in this cigar, nor any chocolate, coffee, or predominantly earthy notes. I would classify this cigar as medium bodied, and especially so for a Cuban cigar. Try one and see for yourself.

Overall, the Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme is a very pleasurable solid performer, with a good balance of sweet woody notes and peppery spice. A medium bodied smoke that is sure to please your taste buds.
I'm still puzzled by the Cigar Afficionado review. Maybe they messed up the blind tasting labels on this one?

:w

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.