Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a line on some 98 El Rey de Mundo PCs.
Do not know anything about the stick except what MRN says.
Does anyone have any experience with this cigar...any year?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Just split a cab from '03, but haven't smoked any yet. The others I've had were from '01 and were fantastic. My favorite from this line, seems to have more flavor than the CS.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The '98s are great!! Get them! I only have a few left and wish I had more...Hint,Hint :p

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two raving comments in 1 hour since starting the thread.
Surprized I do not hear more about this cigar.
Thanks guys.
I like the robustos and love the demis.
Will pull the trigger.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
as far as that marque goes, I think you would do well to believe MRN. Just a fantastic all around line of cigars. And their popularity is not the widest out there, so there are often some nice boxes available. I guess it's all in what you are wanting, taste-wise. If you have a hinged plate in your skull designed for your love of cigars that blow off the top of your head, then you might want to pass. But they are very subtle and refined and delicious.

·
-
11,412 Posts
bruce, could you do me a favor and fax me a copy of that little book by MRN?
maybe go to Kinkos and make me a copy... what, $.05 per page?
i got that covered... :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One Lonely Smoker said:
as far as that marque goes, I think you would do well to believe MRN. Just a fantastic all around line of cigars. And their popularity is not the widest out there, so there are often some nice boxes available. I guess it's all in what you are wanting, taste-wise. If you have a hinged plate in your skull designed for your love of cigars that blow off the top of your head, then you might want to pass. But they are very subtle and refined and delicious.
Thanks for you thoughts. I go for more refined than powerhouse, but do enjoy both.
Oh, and IHT, just get the dang book its roughly the cost of 12-15 average habanos.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Bruce5 said:
.Oh, and IHT, just get the dang book its roughly the cost of 12-15 average habanos.
so, it's a deal then? i'll just do a PIF with donvon, miamie, some of hollywoods famous cigars, and maybe some flown to spain from cuba and sold to me by someone i don't know....
that should cover the 12-15 cigars?
how late does your Kinkos stay open?

that's a true BOTL for ya, going that extra, extra mile to help a brutha out!

and this is just a sarcastic joke...

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
IHT said:
so, it's a deal then? i'll just do a PIF with donvon, miamie, some of hollywoods famous cigars, and maybe some flown to spain from cuba and sold to me by someone i don't know....
that should cover the 12-15 cigars?
how late does your Kinkos stay open?

that's a true BOTL for ya, going that extra, extra mile to help a brutha out!

and this is just a sarcastic joke...
You actually gonna associate me with .... !? Damn Greg, talk bout helpa brutha out! All I can say is OUCH!! :tg

btw ... i know it's a joke, but dang!

·
Registered
314 Posts
just had one from a recent split. It was excellent considering they have been in transit for over a week and hadn't even had an hour to rest.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
I think Trevor still has a few copies. I know they aren't cheap, but to get a first edition of a book like this is nice. And BTW, everyone talks about all of the great pictures, but I have to warn any non MRN-havin bastids, while the pics are awesome, it's mostly cubatabaco and Habanos pics, yes, the same ones you see at every vendor's site. Not realistic enough to really get the Pavlovian responses going. But it is nice to have nonetheless. As most of you know, I am a real picture guy. I figured with a collection like he is supposed to have, you'd see more of HIS boxes and maybe even a hint of the scope of his stash. All you get is hints. And the biggest drawback...he lists ALLof the cigars that are in the 21st century humidor, and shows pics of it closed, but NEVER shows what it looks like with some of the drawers open!!
dern

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One Lonely Smoker said:
I think Trevor still has a few copies. I know they aren't cheap, but to get a first edition of a book like this is nice. And BTW, everyone talks about all of the great pictures, but I have to warn any non MRN-havin bastids, while the pics are awesome, it's mostly cubatabaco and Habanos pics, yes, the same ones you see at every vendor's site. Not realistic enough to really get the Pavlovian responses going. But it is nice to have nonetheless. As most of you know, I am a real picture guy. I figured with a collection like he is supposed to have, you'd see more of HIS boxes and maybe even a hint of the scope of his stash. All you get is hints. And the biggest drawback...he lists ALLof the cigars that are in the 21st century humidor, and shows pics of it closed, but NEVER shows what it looks like with some of the drawers open!!
dern
The pix are cool, but it is the wealth of knowledge and experience that keeps my nose in the book on a regular basis. I like to have the vendor sites open looking at aged cigars and then see how he describes it or what he reccomends on that cigar.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Bruce5 said:
Got a line on some 98 El Rey de Mundo PCs.
Do not know anything about the stick except what MRN says.
Does anyone have any experience with this cigar...any year?
Are these BM OUSU? I'd be interested in how they smoke.....

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
Yeah, Bruce, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my copy and would never say a negative thing about it. Even the big controversies like aging for decades and the identity of the author and stuff do not deter me. I keep it in the bathroom. nuff said on that one. My old CA magazines used to do it for me, but you can only read that crap a million times so many millions of times. Now I take a seat on the throne of knowlege, crack this 50 lb monster to a random page and re-read everything again and again. I was done with read-through #1 on Christmas Day night, lol. Oh, and to get back to your original point, I can't think of a bad RDM cigar. That cigar at that age should be a real treat. Seems to me that the flavor profile is muddy at first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts