Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, I live in the sunny state of CA. Where in the summer we average at least 80°F. I do not have AC in my house, I just open the windows. I cannot keep the temp of my humi lower than 80 degrees right now, no matter where I store it. I have tried in my liquor cabinet, in my kitchen cabinets, and in my closet. No luck. What long term/adverse effects can this have on my sticks? My humidity isn't a problem it is steady at 68%.

Thanks! :tu

·
Registered
721 Posts
Is it a table top humi,or a cooler? Try wrapping dry ice packs in a tshirt and placing them on top of the humi. Did that a few weeks back when my AC went out. Worked pretty well. And I think high temps=beetle possibilities. They hatch when a certain temp is reached for a while I believe.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a table top humi,or a cooler? Try wrapping dry ice packs in a tshirt and placing them on top of the humi. Did that a few weeks back when my AC went out. Worked pretty well. And I think high temps=beetle possibilities. They hatch when a certain temp is reached for a while I believe.
It's a desktop humi. 100 count, so I am supposed to keep dry ice packs on it at all times? That's going to be kind of hard to do. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
effects of prolonged high temps = beetles, no question-the ice packs are a good idea, i use the blue ice refreezable ones, wrapped in tshirts, in my coolers-for the humis, i bought another cooler, stacked 'em in there & set the packs on top-overkill maybe, but i've had beetles & it's no fun-plus i live in a metal box (trailer) w/no AC so the temps hit 90* on the regular

i only have to replace the packs once a day or every other when they're in the cooler

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you have no air conditioning ( a very expensive way of temp. control when you're at work anyways), I would RUN and get a wine cooler. Price differs on size, but your growing cigar investment requires infrastructure investment. I tried the cooler/blue ice idea and it just was too much of a hassle. A hundred bucks can get you a wine cooler and there are plenty of threads on this topic.

Temps above 75 degrees can possibly lead to beetle infestation and there are plenty of threads on that too. Trust me, many unfortunate gorillas have fallen to the mighty beetle.

·
Elder Jungle Leader
4,989 Posts
Just a thought... if you freeze everything first (to kill the beetles), then after they are reaclimated - it seems to me the higher temps would not result in beetles... Right? :confused: :ss

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a thought... if you freeze everything first (to kill the beetles), then after they are reaclimated - it seems to me the higher temps would not result in beetles... Right? :confused: :ss
That was my thoughts. I freeze all my stogies as I get them. Well except the one or two I get from the B&M which meet a fiery death usually within a day or two.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As for wine coolers, the one you linked is a thermo electric unit, so it may not need an external temp controller. Compressor units definitely do, but if the thermoelectric can be set to ~65 it will stay at that temp no matter what.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
STUPID QUESTION ALERT!!

Can I put my humi in the fridge? :confused:
Ok, here's the lowdown:

Normal fridges dehumidify the air inside. This is bad for cigars, BUT it is not entirely bad for humidors. You can place your humidor (closed) inside the fridge and it will not dehumidify the air inside as quickly. You will still have to re-humidify at least once a week, but you can keep them cool.

The downside: most people keep their fridges set around 35-40 degrees, which is far too cold for cigars. Unless you want to adjust your fridge to stay around 55+, it's not a viable idea.

The alternative to manual chilling or putting the whole humi in the fridge is the wine cooler. Thermoelectric wine coolers are God's own gift to cigar enthusiasts.

One of the popular models (which I own one of) is the VinoTemp 24 or 28 bottle cooler, purchased at Target for around $200. It has a relatively accurate temperature control sensor (not numerically, but it will keep steady within +/- 2*), and has the space for around 1000 sticks if packed carefully. I hold about 10 boxes in mine currently, stacked inside and on cedar trays. I also have a CigarOasis to handle humidity.

If you were looking for a long term solution, I would start shopping for a TE wine cooler. In the end, it's far more efficient and will hold a lot of smokes for an expanding collection or your interests in aging cigars.

HERE is a link to the VinoTemp I was referring to. it goes on sale frequently for 179.99

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...1/602-9877561-4852633?ie=UTF8&asin=B000QF3WY0

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.