Cigar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get started with the review, I'll do the wrap-up first - best 04 movie I saw on DVD this year. I bought it when it came out a couple of weeks ago and watched it twice back-to-back weekends. Interesting thought - it reminded me more of 'Enemy of the State', than of the first one.

The spy thriller is very alive and well in "The Bourne Supremacy", one of the most entertaining and well-crafted movies of 2004. It's a sequel to 2002's "The Bourne Identity". In many ways it surpasses the original (the first movie was something of a sleeper hit).

The movie, which has a sweeping panorama of international locales, opens in India, where Jason Bourne [Matt Damon] is living with his lover, Marie [Franka Potente]. He still has amnesia, but is often awakened by nightmares about his past as a CIA agent. Meanwhile, a CIA agent is killed in Berlin. One clue is left behind by the killer - a finger print belonging to Bourne. How can this be? Bourne was 4000 miles away. Soon, Bourne is caught up in a conspiracy full of deception and dead bodies.

Damon is again perfect as Bourne. His performance is central to the success of the movie. His is essentially a despicable character [at least as far as we know] but he makes us feel a great deal of empathy for Bourne. He is ably supported by two great actors, Joan Allen and Brian Cox, who play CIA agents out to get him.

The drama side of "The Bourne Supremacy" is balanced by a great deal of satisfying action. For example, a car chase through the streets of Moscow that ranks as one of the most exciting ever made. Rivaling classic car chase scenes in both RONIN and THE FRENCH CONNECTION, this one lasts around ten minutes and has you on the edge of your seat.

I'll give this one a solid A and highly recommend!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I also watched this over the weekend. Great movie!! I love spy movies and this one ranks up there with any of the more recent ones. I think I still like Spy Game a bit more because of the twists in the plot. But, this was better than The Bourne Identity, which I thought was pretty good!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well if you have never read the books or viewed it for pure entertainment value isolated from the plot lines of the book, it might be okay.

I have read the books and they have taken so much away from the chameleon character of Jason Bourne that there are similar in names only.

I typically prefer the books as they are more descriptive and can draw you right into the book and your own imagination develops the sights and sounds that are on the paper.

With that being said I was looking forward to watching the movie even after seeing the first one and reading the the series of books. I would have to say that if I had not read the books I probably would have enjoyed it more than I did.

Yes there was some goods parts of the film but overall I was left feeling indifferent after viewing it.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
First off.......saw this with my girlfriend at a drive in (and yes we actually watched the movie). I really liked the first one and thought this one was just as good. I have read the book, and Butch is right. Similar in names only. But if you have read the book you understand why they did the movies the way they did. No way you could successfully transcribe the book into a movie. It would be way to complicated IMHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.