Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into pipe smoking and bought several tins of this. I have not opened them but have kinda gotten out of smoking pipe. How long will this tobacco stay good in the tin? I hear this is pretty good stuff?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
As long as the tins aren't opened they'll last quite a while. You'll want to check them about once a month as Dunhill tins have recently had some problems failing.

Or, if you're interested in selling them, I'm sure you could put them in the WTS/WTT section and sell them pretty easily or trade them for cigars.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Oh, I meant to speak to open tins but I've got a million things going at once right now! LOL

An open tin that closes pretty tightly will last a couple weeks before it dries out. Your best bet is to get some mason or ball jars and seal it up. That way the moisture stays constant. It will last indefinitely in a jar. (providing the lid doesn't fail on it)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Oh, I meant to speak to open tins but I've got a million things going at once right now! LOL

An open tin that closes pretty tightly will last a couple weeks before it dries out. Your best bet is to get some mason or ball jars and seal it up. That way the moisture stays constant. It will last indefinitely in a jar. (providing the lid doesn't fail on it)
+1 on this, some blends will even get better with some time sealed away.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
+1 on this, some blends will even get better with some time sealed away.
Agreed. Most think that latakias like nightcap don't age well. But I like the more mellowed soothing taste of an aged english. Not quite as piquant and edgy as right out of the tin.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm fairly new as well so I haven't tried any tins yet, but I take it that they last pretty long. Don't mean to derail the thread but any ideas as to how long resealable bags last?
It can depend on the tobacco, but not long... plastic bags aren't airtight, that means moisture and any flavorings can easily evaporate...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have a mason jar, but not enough for each different tobacco. Can I put all the bags into a single jar without having any drawbacks, like flavors mixing, etc?
I would imagine the flavors would probably do some mixing. Mason jars are cheap at Wally World, might as well pick some up.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm fairly new as well so I haven't tried any tins yet, but I take it that they last pretty long. Don't mean to derail the thread but any ideas as to how long resealable bags last?
I think this is right in line with the spirit of this thread.

When it comes to resealable bags, Nick's right on. It really depends on the tobacco and how much PG is in the blend. I've had some that dried out in a couple days and had one aromatic that had so much PG in it that it sat for 3 months in a plastic bag and was every bit as moist as when I got it from the retailer.

One rule of thumb is, if you can smell it, it is losing flavor and humidity.

If you're like I used to be and you just don't have $10 to buy a case of jars you can combine like tobaccos in one jar. Englishes in one jar, va's in another etc.

It's not optimal but it'll work in a pinch.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Agreed. Most think that latakias like nightcap don't age well. But I like the more mellowed soothing taste of an aged english. Not quite as piquant and edgy as right out of the tin.
+1 here too. I'm now to the point, (because I have enough in store to do this) that I won't smoke an english that hasn't been sitting in my cellar for at least 3-6 months.

Cpuless was actually the catalyst for this. I'd tried Balkan Sasieni straight out of a fresh tin and disliked it enough that I gave away a tin signed by Erik Stokkebye. Cpuless sent me a sample in the blind taste test of some that was aged for a year. It was so great that I bought a sleeve of the stuff to age!

·
Sot-weed Bohemian
8,941 Posts
+1 here too. I'm now to the point, (because I have enough in store to do this) that I won't smoke an english that hasn't been sitting in my cellar for at least 3-6 months.
I've read that during the glory days, Dunhill (or perhaps that should be dunhill) aged its tobaccos for a couple of years after blending them up, before tinning them up and sending them to market -- in addition to aging them before blending them, of course. Doesn't sound like they worried much about "bruising the Latakia".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.