Cigar Forums banner

DSL wiring questions.

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  WABOOM 
#1 ·
I am in the process of finishing my basement and I am almost done running media wires throughout the entire house for network. I installed plastic conduit to everything, so pulling wires is no longer an issue and I have run cat6 cable RG6 coax to all the rooms and provided future access for satellite/cable/fiber entry points.
I want to replace/upgrade the old phone wire that supplies DSL to my modem/router and I am having a hard time finding good info explaining how to wire it. I am using CAT6 as phone line. I've got the plug end figured out at the faceplate jack. But I don't even know what I am looking at in the telecom box. *We dont have telephone, just internet service*
What are the little plastic things? Resistors?
Can anyone help me?

See less See more
#2 ·
The plastic things with the red buttons are splice connectors.

Not sure about the rest of it. Except that one twisted pair goes to two leads from Telco if you're running less than 50mbps, and a second twisted pair goes to the remaining two leads if over 50mbps.

I only know because I had att come do an upgrade for that a few weeks ago.

#13 ·
I can't help with wiring that, but those red connectors are a 3M product called Scotchlocks. They're filled with a dielectric grease and toy just insert the wire, squeeze with a pair of straight jaw pliers and voila. Great product. Our department uses them for water meter sensor wires when they break. They hold up very well. Just for future reference.

Reactions: WABOOM
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.