Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you knowledgable Gorillas out there, I picked up this Cohiba DR at a smoke shop in Memphis earlier today but I am unsure of its authenticity. I know Cohiba DR has the Red Dot and the other but I have alson heard that there is some left over with this old style band? help would be appreciated. Hopefully I can upload the pic the first time. BTW the band says COHIBA-top Republica Dominicana-bottom

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm no expert here, but I'll give you my opinion.

I think they are fake. Either that, or the yellow band Cohibas I've seen are fake/different. All the ones I've seen have the "Republica Dominica" centered vertically in the yellow space (not so far to the top). It has also been in cursive or "script" (not printed in block-type letters) on all the ones I've seen.
In the picture you posted the three rows of white dots are also shifted downward (not centered on the black area). This could also indicate a possible forgery. Again, I'm no expert.....ther are alot of people here more knowledgable than me.

I'd be interested in seeing what the pros say around here....I have a shop locally that has a huge stock of yellow band Cohibas; and they're reasonably priced. If they are genuine, I just may pick some up!!! :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks sean for the links and thanks poker for posting the picture here. sean I knew these were not isom Cohibas but rather I was wondering if anyone had had any experience with these. Thanks for the links because they did clear up a couple of questions that I had though.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
An injunction was awarded General Cigar (Red Dot Cohiba) some time ago & this cigar is no longer in production. It was less a "fake" or "knockoff" as it was a pirating of the name Cohiba.

Now, for a cigar that is no longer in production, they seemed to have a buttload of "grandfathered" product laying around that they are still able to market.

Of course, the original Cohiba is from Cuba & is a wonderful cigar. The Red Dot Cohiba is from the DR & sports a Cameroon wrapper & a hefty price (overpriced IMHO). The yellow band DR Cohiba is not the cigar that either of the others are, but at least is closer to being priced accordingly.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, I really wanted to see what the general opinion was on these. I figured they were fakes but I was just curious so I picked a couple up to get a general consensus of opinion. BTW if anyone is interested the smoke shop where I found these also has some " glass pipes and tobacco water bongs" *wink wink* That was the first indication that this was not a very reputable place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.