Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another review about a cigar that's been well-covered, but I always like to offer my take and receive feedback.

Pre-light draw was surprisingly loose. The cigar had impeccable construction and had a nice aroma. I lit this with a butane lighter (a Zippo Blu... sent to me gratis by Smokey Bob, a great BOTL). Immediately got copious amounts of creamy white smoke even before my first draw.

The draw was smooth as silk and small puffs yielded lots of smoke. Up until now I had associated loose draws with small amounts of smoke, but I was literally able to sip this cigar and still get loads of smoke volume. The first thing that hit me was the spice. This slowly faded away to a nutty, dark chocolate flavor with what I thought to be a hint of cedar that dominated the rest of the cigar.

The burn was a bit uneven at first, but I chalk that up to the Houston post-rain weather. I ended up correcting the burn about three times during my smoke. The ash was surprisingly sturdy given the loose draw and I only had to ash the cigar three times (with a nice big purge after the first ash) before I put it out just below the band.

Towards the end, a bit of sweetness found its way through as the nutty flavor predominated. I also got a fairly good buzz off this stick.

All in all, I enjoyed the stick very much but wasn't completely blown away. I will definitely want to keep a few of these around though. It's been a while since I smoked the DPG Black label, but I think I liked the Black label better.

Thanks for reading,

Chris

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label

I fired up an Invictos this afternoon. The blue labels get top honors from me as far as smell goes. Saying it's barnyard doesn't do it justice. Delicious cigar smell. I noticed that as long as you keep it in celo the aroma stays with the stick but if you store it naked, it leaves. As far as taste, it's up there in my top 5. Love the stick.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Tried an Invictos down at the Oregon Coast last weekend after a race... These are nice cigars, much spicier during the first third, sorta reminiscent of the Rocky Patel Vintage 90, but smoother and more kick from the nic. Very well made, I had no burn problems at all, first ash falling at 1 1/4 inches. It mellowed nicely, but then got a bit hot flavored with quite a bit of cigar to go (2 1/2 inches). Smoke is not billowing, but flavorful and pleasant.

I'm anxious to try a black label.

·
Registered
949 Posts

One of my favorites. I am trying other cigars now, so not buying another box yet. the best part about the Blues is the cigar aroma in the air. Not many cigars are as pleasing to those around.

·
SLAP-HAPPY PAPPY
1,049 Posts

Thanks for the review. I have one blue gifted from Madurolover that I'm trying to let sit for awhile in the humi, but it hard. I'll have to try the black at some point too I guess. So many stogies, not enough time! :ss:ss

·
Registered
108 Posts

So many stogies, not enough time! :ss:ss
If you find yourself running out of time, I am sure we'll all pitch in and help!

:ss

Oh, and to pile on here...I"ve had several of the Invictos robusto size, and they are great. I agree, keep em a little dry.

Heck, I like the Black too. And the Tat. Reserva J21 (ohhh, LIGERO!). I loved the Havana VI too, even though I didn't think I would.

Don Pepin can't make a bad smoke it would seem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.