Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must confess that I don't know exactly where I'm going with this, but then again my mind does frequently take a walk off the edge of the map.

Owning four dogs, and doing some heavy-duty smoking at home, I'm often able to observe canine reactions to the enjoyment of cigars. Our Lab is not quite able to understand that a cigar is not a food item, and will typically beg for a "taste." The Karelian appears to be most aware of the olfactory messages, and the Jack Russell and the Russell mix will either be supremely different to the plumes of smoke, or cock their heads. Most surprising is the complete lack of interest on the part of all when cigarettes are smoked.

Does anyone else have any particular impressions of dog response to cigars?

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
My Aussie-german shepard mix is a very smart but insecure fur-person. Whenever he sees me get a cigar he knows it's either time for a walk or more usually time to go out in his yard and stay with me while I sit outside and smoke. He patrols for flying things and as soon as the airspace is clear he comes over for his two or three minutes of attention and then will go and sit down in the grass content and happy. The funny thing is, it seems that he now knows when a package of cigars arrives in the mail and he starts runnning around the house and giving me a questioning look if I don't get the lighter and go outside to smoke!

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Much like galaga, my German Shepherd knows that when I open the humidor in the mid-afternoon, it's time for a nice, long leisurely walk around the neighborhood....Ganz loves people but he can look kind of intimidating to strangers...I'm not sure if they are more concerned with him, or the big fire stick his owner is puffing on during the walk.

I noticed there was a Forum member with the user name "Ganz", and I wondered what the story behind his name was. I had a German Shepherd that I saved on his last day at the pound back in 1992. He was a great dog but died young of cancer in 2000. He was named "Ajax" after a character in the movie "The Warriors". When I got a new Shepherd about 6 months later, I named him Ganz as sort of a tribute to Ajax. The actor who played Ajax, James Remar, also played a character named Ganz in the film "48 Hours", so it just seemed to fit.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but I'm slap-happy after a long night at work...

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
My dog chews on those little rawhide sticks. He carries em around like a cigar. Sometimes, when I light up, he will go get his "cigar."

Had a cat that used to smoke pot with me.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have a Lab who gets excited when I pull out the cigar.. However he hates the smoke. He gives me a dirty look if I just go outside and sit on the patio. Actually I am not sure who dislikes it more.. the dog or my wife?? With either of them they figure out which way the wind is blowing and sit on the other side of me.

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
My beagle/hound-dog will sit outside with me and if an ash falls, she will try to eat it. Though she also used to try to get my dip when I used to do that. I guess my dog just likes tobacco.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 5 Golden Retrievers and 1 3-legged Black Lab. The Goldens do not care for the cigars. My lab.... however, loves to chow down on the cigar butts!

Which we believe is causing him to have seizures! I first noticed the ashtrays void of butts last October... my lab's first seizure was in October. Then again before Thanksgiving... ashtray only had ash and labels in it... the next morning my lab had another seizure. We've kept the ashtrays empty or covered, and no more seizures. Last month, we had company over and forgot to cover the ashtray, that evening I noticed shreds of cigar butts on the deck. The next morning.... he had a seizure.

No more attacks since we've been really vigilant in keeping the butts out of his reach.

... what were you asking again?

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
My 6 month old lab puppy doesn't know what to think! When I get a cigar out she sits like she wants a treat, then she barks and backs away when I light my torch lighter! Once the cigar is lit she always wants to know what it is...until she gets some smoke in her face. When I'm out smoking I can usually keep her occupied but most of the time she loses interest and wants to go back inside.

I'm sure after time she will head straight for the door once I open the humi.

G

·
My boxer picked up on it right away. Now, whenever I go to my humi, he runs to the back door. We don't have a fenced in yard for him, so its an extra treat for him to sit on the patio with me.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have a cat who when I smoke will crawl up on my lap and purr... of course he does that when I am not smoking too... :D

Once, the other cat was meowing very loud and dropped something at my feet. I looked down and it was a Diplomatico #2! I had apparently knocked it out of the humidor and hadn't noticed that it fell on the ground. Good kitty! :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
kansashat said:
My dog chews on those little rawhide sticks. He carries em around like a cigar. Sometimes, when I light up, he will go get his "cigar."

Had a cat that used to smoke pot with me.
My dog does the same thing with his rawhide sticks. It cracks me up when he walks around with it sticking straight out of his mouth.

And my cat used to always screw up the rotation, so I cut him off.

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
My German Shepherd, also knows when i am out going to have a smoke. He sits by My side, and sometimes thinks its something to it, but once the aroma gets going,he just sits down and enjoy. :D

·
Registered
727 Posts
My 8 pound toy fox terrier isnt sure what to do when I smoke. Usually he will run around the backyard. One nasty detail is that if I spit, he will go lick it up. I guess he is trying to get a little of the flavor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.