Cigar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given its a nice rainy night as we approach Halloween, a review of Dogfish Head's Punkin ale seems fitting.

Right off the bat I have to note some irritation with the price point, $12.50 for a four-pack is absurd; but, I was willing to pay it so the decision was my own. Was it worth it is the question?

Into the glass this one has a nice deep copper color with a rapidly dissipating head that leaves little to no lacing on the glass.

The nose is blunt. Dogfish Head tells us there is cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, brown sugar, and pumpkin in this beer and they are there on the nose, no messing around. Added to the party is rich malts and a sweet alcohol background. At 7% ABV the alcohol could be hidden slightly better, but things like spices have a funny way of pushing aromas to the nose so I can't really complain, just note the fact.

The taste greets with a nice toasty malt flavor along with caramel, pumpkin, and a forward alcohol note. Sadly though, the spices dominate this beer and fail to integrate into balance overpowering the subtle pumpkin and malts. Further their quantity is sufficient to leave a distinct astringency that follows through on the after taste that I find particularly detracting.

Other than the astringency issue the mouth feel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall this is an alright beer. It is brewed extremely well, no flaws in flavor are detectable, it is simply a matter of recipe formulation that hurts this brew. If Sam would kick down the spice and let the pumpkin and malts step into balance this would be well worth the price point...as is, it is not.

Aroma: 8/12
Appearance: 2/3
Flavor: 13/20
Mouthfeel: 3/5
Overall Impression: 7/10

33/50

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Nice review. I personally really enjoy this beer, and have 3 4packs in my fridge. If you can, try it on tap, its a whole other beer! In a good way.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice review. I personally really enjoy this beer, and have 3 4packs in my fridge. If you can, try it on tap, its a whole other beer! In a good way.
Will do (and it will probably cost the same as buying it at the store)...not a bad beer at all...but, when it comes to adding any spices I prefer them to blend seamlessly so that it takes thought as to what exactly it is you are tasting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts