Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting to hear your opinions on removing celo from your cigars. I noticed the other day that a friend leaves them on when he stores them in his humidor. I always have removed them replaced the cigars and then let them sit for a month or two before smoking?

what do you think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also remove the cello.....well most of the cigars i buy dont have them on ;) ISOMS

·
Registered
16 Posts
I remove mine if they have them. Looks much cooler that way. There is alot lot of debate on the subject. From what I have read the only drawback to removing them is possible damage if you handle them too often.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Leave them on

I leaft tehm off at first too. I had a few mild cigars in my humidor and bought som really strong Punch and Joya De Nicaraugua cigars and those cigars falvored the mild ones. Ever since then I leave the Wrappers on and there is no more mingling of flavors.

The bottom line is it really doesn't matter if you do or not. If you do I think they are slower to stabilize the humidity than if you don't. But they don't pick up the flavors of the other cigars in the humidor as fast.

Each situation could be either an advantage or a disadvantage. If you have a lot of similar cigars then the mingling might be desired. If you have a lot of different Strength cigars then it is a disadvantae.

I hope my 2 cents worth helps.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Both

I have some in trays that do get close together. And I have others in Boxes. The ones in boxes take longer to mingle but they still mingle. If you leave the box lid propped open a little bit. If not then they don't really mingle that much.

·
CS Noob Ambassador
1,194 Posts
Just curious, what people think of MRN's assertion that cigars kept in cello age much better....I think its moot these days, as I am not sure any hand mades still come in cello....5 packs maybe since they are packed in cardboard? I dunno...but I been wondering about that since I got the book

PaulMac

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used to de-cello. Now I don't. A couple of years ago I split up a box of cigars: half with cello and half without. I can't remember any difference. I didn't approach it very scientifically though. I guess this means I should revisit that box and compare two sticks side by side. It's a good excuse for a cigar anyway:D.

My thinking is that cello would be a little extra insurance against rapid swings in humidity. If I ever decided to do a box pass or a trade, cello is very handy to have to keep the wrappers in good shape. I don't have the experience that MRN does but I'm willing to bet that there might be some benefit to ageing in cello, though I won't be ageing cigars over similar amounts of time or in the amounts that he apparently does. I think it's probably a good protective measure but for the short-term it probably doesn't matter.

These days I do what OPT does. If it comes with cello, I leave it that way.

·
-
11,412 Posts
there are tons of handmade non-cubans that come in cello.

and i use to take the time to remove them all, but now, i will let them stay in it unless i KNOW that i'll be smoking it in the next day or so...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.