• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
A qualified yes. I have frozen cigars with obvious beetle damage, but don't freeze them all. However, living in Minnesota, all cigars shipped to me in the winter months tend to get froze on the way.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
606 Posts
I have never frozen any cigars I have ever purchased. I guess the reason I don't is due to the fact that I do not have access to a device that will reach <-20 degree temps that will kill the larvae and that my wife always has our freezer jam pack full of sh*t we don't eat...

On a serious note, If I had an armoire I would probably find a place to freeze my smokes since they would be buried amongst several other boxes and would not be rotated but a few times a year. Since I only use 1 300ct desktop and 1 100ct desktop I tend to be fanatical about rotating and inspecting my smokes on a bi-weekly basis.

Like pds stated below, I would only keep and freeze an extremely rare or expensive cigar if it had signs of beetle damage. If the smoke(s) are readily available by my vendor I would just toss the damaged smoke(s) to be on the safe side.

Poker, I hope you are going to give us some suggestions after this poll has run its course...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I freeze almost everything. I don't like to take any chances with the Atlanta summers. I haven't had a single complaint from folks saying my cigars don't taste right... from new cigars to 20 year old cigars.

BTW... I once gave some cigars to friends (folks who know good cigars) that were several days out of the freezer, just out of curiosity. They commented that they were some of the best cigars they've had in a while:w Many folks would argue that frozen cigars don't taste right, but I personally can't detect any difference in flavor.

Many folks also say that you must SLOWLY expose cigars to freezer temps, as well as thaw them out. Most every cigar I have has gone straight from the freezer to room temp, then back in the coolers. I haven't had any problems with cracked wrappers due to freezing.

Personally, I think cigars are much less fragile than folks think they are.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used to freeze everthing!!! I used a 100 count humi that I would put all incoming into when I was getting 5 packs at a time!!! I would wait till it was full then I would freeze;) Then move them to a 300 count Humi. But then came the Habanos sickness :r and I was ordering faster then I could freeze or had space for (2) 100 count Humi's Frozen "full" (1) 300 count Humi Frozen "full" Then came the wine fridge & I don't freeze anymore :D I have sat down and smoked two cigars back to back one frozen and one not both out of the same box I could not taste a dif!!! So at this point I would not freeze unless I had to:)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
short answer: i don't freeze anymore... but i quarantine new arrivals for about 6 weeks in a cooler, and i check those cigars frequently.

additional details: i used to freeze... we have a freezer chest in the basement ... but i couldn't figure out the optimal strategy for leaving cigars out to smoke. it was like this... do i leave one to smoke and freeze the rest? but what if i love them and want another... ok, so leave 2 out and freeze the rest... but what do i do with the ones i leave out so they don't contaminate the others. so if i quarantine one, i might as well quarantine them all- that way the optimal rule is leave them all out. this is what it's like to be me... scary huh? so far so good, with no beetles in sight. did i win? :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't freeze, unless there is a good reason. My humi stays below 71¼, but it is hard on the A/C. I'm soon going to a temp controlled Crapperdor, but that's a big project and will take some time. When I get there, I will not freeze since everything will be a steady 65/65¼.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I freeze everything I get.

Last year most of you saw the results of a humidor I bought from a friend.

The bags full of holly cigars!!!

Since then I have frozen everything I have. 3-4 days in the freezer, 1-2 days in the refrigerator and then 2 weeks in the humidor.

I haven't noticed any change whatsoever in the flavor.

Since I replaced my roof and airconditioner with a much more energy friendly model, I also keep the house under 77 all the time. It gets to around 110 this time of year.

·
Registered
756 Posts
can someone please explain the process of 'quarentining' in the freezer? freeze in bags? right in the box? i noticed someone said few days in freezer, to the fridge and then the humi. i think with a recent incident i had i might want to consider this, but also want to do it correctly and not jeopardize any sticks.
thanx
jimmy

·
Registered
163 Posts
No matter where you place your cigars to freeze they need to be in an airtight baggie.

I bought special large size thick film ziplock type bags from a plastic sales company.

If you dont want to place the whole box of cigars in the freezer as you don't have a bag large enough. Just take the cigars out of the box and put them in regular freezer baggies. Make sure that you freeze the empty box also. Beetles can lay eggs in the box, so if you don't freeze the box you are just going to have problems later when you put the cigars back.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
606 Posts
Barry and CigarTexan addressed something I negleted on my first post concerning air-conditioning. My house never gets above 73-74 degree's year round so the humi's are usually sit at around 68 (winter) to 71.5 degree's (on the hottest days).

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
poker
is this the surprise for the end of the pass?????

i freeze everything i have brought home from cuba...believe me there are beetles or viable eggs.if you dont have to freeze then the vendor has already.

derrek :)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[email protected]!
No my friend, this was not the "suprise" I spoke of. It was just something that came to mind & I thought it would be interesting to see the responses considering summer is in full swing.
I remember the big debate over freezing or not a while back concerned the issue that the cigars tasted different for some reason.
I also remember taking part in a taste test that someone conducted to see if folks really could tell which cigar was frozen vs not frozen (from the same box) useing 4 different vitolas. Not one person out of 10 tested guessed correctly if my memory serves me right.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I never freeze and like Dave, I quarantine new arrivals for 6 - 8 weeks in a coolerador. I buy from the same sources and have never had a beetle problem.

I keep my humidors at 66 - 70 degree's at 65% humidity year round.

That being said, the worst time I've had is when traveling with cigars. This past spring on a cruise I came back with some singles from LCDH and 2 of them were part of a birthday present for Matt. The ones for me were smoked within a couple of weeks, the ones for Matt were given to him the next weekend. I forgot about how hot it could gt during travel on the ship, sitting at customs on the dock and then on the airplane. Needless to say, both of the smokes for Matt hatched after he received them. Case in point, even though I am very proactive in caring for my smokes, beetles happen and can't be avoided.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hmm..
Yes and No..
I freeze all the gars I recieve in a commercial freezer for "standard Procedure" I then send them through 2 stages of humidification to ensure no returns from the dreaded beetle that may show up rarely.
This also help avoid the rare complaint of over humidified cigars.

Of course I am a distributor, and I do this to save myself issues.

The onesy twosey type gifts and trades dont get frozen but they do go in a "Designated Humidor"
Just want to be carefull.

I have yet to see a beetle here, except the ones that people have sent me by sending a few smokes slowly in the summertime.
Ohh ANd the ones I have been requested to send as "gifts" to nice guys....!
There are easy to look for indicators that I go by, you all know them. Dust in the bag etc..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I freeze everything. I just can't live with the possibility of those buggers hatching on me and munching away at the sticks. For me it buys peace of mind, especially since I can't tell the difference after three months in the humi.

G

·
Freezing

Relatively new, so padron my ignorance, but what are the odds of having beetles? I haven't taken such precautions in the two years I have been keeping my humidor filled and this thread is giving me the creeps. Is it common to have beetle problems?

Thanks,

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm going to start by knocking on wood.

I don't freeze. I do quarantine like Robmcd and Seagarsmoker for about 8weeks.

I haven't had a problem. I keep all my cigars in my basement. In the summer,the hottest it gets down there is about 70-72 on the hottest days. I keep the humidity at 64-66 %.

Another reason I don't freeze is because I feel that it doesn't really work "that great". Almost every summer I hear of someone who freezes everything and they still end up with an outbreak.

I honestly feel that if you quarantine for a few weeks then store at or below 70 degrees then you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts