Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Blend in a cigar ??? the reason I ask is that, as you may be aware of my Punch Punch that I smoked and suspect it to be a fake do to the white ash and mild taste. IHT posted this review site THIS some describe the Punch Punch almost like did. Soooo my question is, Do the Cubans change the blend in their cigars??

joe

·
-
11,412 Posts
at least i'm glad that link has helped someone...
as for your question, i'm not well enough versed to give an answer. i'm still a newbie.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that link is very helpfull.

Ok My buddies and I fired up 3 Punch Punch's and one of them had the very dark, salt and pepper ash - the other 2 were white . The funny thing is that the dark ash punch came from the one that had the lightest wrapper. Strange, they seem much more fuller in strength now .

joe

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
For what it's worth...

Tobacco is a living thing and as such has normal fluctuations in taste due to environmental factors. That is compounded by the fact that tobacco tastes different under varying storage conditions as it also has fluctuations in taste due to age.

Although I don't think that they change the recipes for the cigars, I do however feel that the component parts themselves fluctuate and that creates a bit of a flavor range within the same blend.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Lamar. Can I ask another dumb question??? What is meant by "sick period" that habanos go through? How do you know you have one going through this stage ????? I have some psd4's coming that have an abr 04 date on them, how do psd4's smoke young???

joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Sick Period refers to a period between one month after shipment from Cuba and typically 12 months. During that period the tobacco goes through a fermentation/maturation that typically gives the cigars a somewhat harsh and unpleassant character - some would say the taste is 'closed'. The recommendation NOT to smoke Cubans during this period has actually been printed on some cigarboxes in the past.

The blend of the cigars is not completely fixed, and has indeed been subject to changes in the past. I am not aware of any major changes to any blends recently, however.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts