Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
I need another hygrometer but I want one that just works and requires no calibration. Do they make such a thing?
Think about it like this. You buy a watch. Why wouldn't you want to set it? I suppose you could buy a watch that was pre-set.

What's next? A cigar that comes pre-cut and pre-lit? ;)

·
Irukandji Boxed Jellyfish
3,126 Posts
I would think all analogy hygrometers definitely need to be calibrated.

They do sell digital hygrometers which you cannot manually calibrate. So if they are off, there is nothing you can do about it except note the difference and do a mental addition or subtraction. If the hygrometer is good, then it will be +/- 1% and the difference really won't matter.

As long as my humidors are between 64-67% I really don't worry.

When I bought my first Western Digital, it said you didn't have to do the salt test as it was calibrated at the factory. From my experience, they are pretty much right on. But I have heard of people who have gotten ones that are slightly off, so it is probably best to calibrate them yourself just to be sure.

·
Registered
357 Posts
"calibrate" can be a little misleading as it is more like "testing" to see how far off it is. You do kinda have to do it though otherwise you will have no idea whether or not your hygro is correct.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
You can get precalibrated, certified wireless hygrometers. They are somewhere between $60 and $100 (I don't remember what I paid for mine - I have three). I purchased them through a laboratory supply house on the web. These are great units - they work with any of the "wireless weather stations" so that you don't even have to open your humidors to check the temp and humidity. FWIW, these are NOT the ubiquitous Oregon Scientific units that you can find at the local Home Depot. Although they look very similar, these are certified and professionally calibrated for laboratory use.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You can get precalibrated, certified wireless hygrometers. They are somewhere between $60 and $100 (I don't remember what I paid for mine - I have three). I purchased them through a laboratory supply house on the web. These are great units - they work with any of the "wireless weather stations" so that you don't even have to open your humidors to check the temp and humidity. FWIW, these are NOT the ubiquitous Oregon Scientific units that you can find at the local Home Depot. Although they look very similar, these are certified and professionally calibrated for laboratory use.
Michael,

Why did you have to let me know that? i am counting my pennies as we speak.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
i remember looking these up when i was looking for a good hygometer... i remember almost paying $73ish...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are right. I have no desire to pay that much for a hygrometer. I was just wondering why they could not just calibrate it and then make that calibration stick. Does the device that measures humidity become inaccurate over time and require recalibration?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
You guys are right. I have no desire to pay that much for a hygrometer. I was just wondering why they could not just calibrate it and then make that calibration stick. Does the device that measures humidity become inaccurate over time and require recalibration?
Yes. Even certified hygrometers require recertification / recalibration every few years.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
After a period of time, every hygrometer loses calibration. Some more than others. Some expensive models offer a self-calibrating chip inside (lab use models), while some are guaranteed by the manufacturer that if they ever fall out of the deviation range given, they will replace/recalibrate them for free.

I personally prefer http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=2&scid=7&pid=88.

Nice looking, they work stand-alone, and all of mine have worked within +/- 1% out of the packaging (after salt testing separately, twice each to be sure).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Isn't there a rather inexpensive hygrometer ($30) called Accurite or something? I understand that the unit is not adjustable but accurate to within +- 1%

Most hygrometers I have owned, (including wireless), offer accuracy only to +- 5%.

Robert :ss

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
After a period of time, every hygrometer loses calibration. Some more than others. Some expensive models offer a self-calibrating chip inside (lab use models), while some are guaranteed by the manufacturer that if they ever fall out of the deviation range given, they will replace/recalibrate them for free.

I personally prefer http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=2&scid=7&pid=88.

Nice looking, they work stand-alone, and all of mine have worked within +/- 1% out of the packaging (after salt testing separately, twice each to be sure).
FYI: this is the hygro that I mentioned above that is similar to, but not the same as, the CERTIFIED hygrometers one can get from a lab supply store.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have about 10 or so Digital Hygrometers you can calibrate....bought them in a group buy so I know they are out there. Do the salt test and everything....:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am new here and am just getting into the whole humidor thing. I am a woodworker and am building my own humidor. Before I did a lot of reading about the superiority of digital hygrometers, I purchased an analog hygrometer for my humidor.

I looked up on the internet, instructions for doing the salt test. I performed the test as described and left the hygrometer in the bag for 13 hours. The reading was 75% just as they stated it should be. I pulled the hygrometer out and set up the test again from scratch and repeated the test, this time for 14 hours and got the same 75% reading.

Now for the question, what are the common problems with the analog hygrometers that make people hate them so much. Are they really that unreliable? Seems that mine is working pretty good or am I just experiencing the good before the bad? I am planning on a digital just as soon as I can find the right one.

Any one know a source for External Mount Digital Hygrometers as the ones used in these humidors,
http://www.magic25filter.com/cigar_digital_hygrometer_humidor_black.html

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Arturo,

I am guessing I know what you smoke, but what do you ride? HD Fatboy for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts