Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I keep looking at all these great pics everyone is posting and I want to get in on the fun. Not knowing that much about these cameras, I'm turning to those of you in the know. Any help, suggestions, or recommended sites I could go to would be greatly appreciated. Remember now, you're talking to someone with no experience and somewhat technically challenged. Also, being the tight wad that I am, I don't want to spend a month's salary(rather spend it on cigars) Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Kodak DX6490. is what we have. Very nice camera that resembles an SLR film camera. This link will take you Kodak's site to look at this camera and others. You should be able to pick up a 4.0-5.0 megapixel camera with digital and optical zoom for $300 or less, if your patient and shop around.

Honestly, e-bay is the place to buy. Gotten both of mine there and saved big $$$.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I use a little Sony pocket-type camera with an LCD so I can delete the pics I don't like. It was about the same as DsrtDogs, 'bout $220. Some some with photo editing programs, some don't, but you can download a few for free/cheap.

I usually download the pics(via a USB cable) onto the computer file, then I load them to a web host site, (again, some free, most are cheap), but you can probably just download pics straight from your computer to the BB.

For a while, it was 'the higher the meg(apixels), the better the picture quality. That may not be true any longer. But I would advise getting the highest you can afford. Like parachutes and firearms, I'd rather have it and not need it...

That's what I know. HTH.

Scott"Iamacamera"M

·
Registered
882 Posts
Depending on what you want to do with the camera. If it is for just posting web pics of cigars to be posted, then a 3-4 mega pics will do great 5 or more will be over kill. If you want to be printing out huge 8 x 11 in go for 5 mp. LArger thatn that you will need a larger mp.

Also I tend to prefer one that hase a lot of optical zoom. I tend not to use the digital zoom at all.

That being said I have a Kodak Easy share I bought for my wife and she loves it. When I am doing my photo shooting for the navy I use a D2H. The kodak is perfect for taking those normal everyday photos of the kids drooling and cigars blooming and the D2H would be over kill. And on the flip I wouldn't use the Kodak for Naval photgraphs. I need more mega pix and better high res photos.

Just my $02 I hope it helps a little.

·
The Cheese stands alone
2,749 Posts
Like most other people have said if you want to print normal 4x6 photos a camera with 3-4 megapixles is adiquate if you wanna print lager photos you should go higher also the higher the megapixles are set the less photos you can fit in the camera memory. one option is to get a camera in the 5-6 megapixel range and turn down the resolution for normal photos. probably the biggest thing to look at is the optical zoom and not the total zoom. optical zoom in the camera lens zooming in on a object and digital zoom is the camera just making the object your focusing on larger. like if you take a picture on your computer and enlarge it, it distorts the image and you won't be happy with the results so if it says 30x total zoom it's probably 3x optical and 10x digital.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
If you're not into all the bells and whistles of the digital camera world, then don't bother with a digital SLR. They are still too expensive. I recommend a 5-6 megapixel camera. Unless you are going to do a lot of big prints(11 in or bigger) it is more than enough. Also, megapixels aren't the most important factor affecting quality anymore. The manufacturers are able to squeeze out more quality without having to resort to higher megapixels.

Recently had a lecture in my communications class about digital photography. :) Hope I helped.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I have a sony that I got off ebay about 3 yrs ago. Still works and it's been all over the world. The Nikon Coolpix get rave reviews...or the Canons are really nice also. I would say the new Sonys are great....or Kodak. Good luck

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. You've provided me with some ideas and some places where I can do some comparisons and I appreciate it alot. Would like to have had one by the time of the Virginia Herf, but it's doubtful. Thanks again to everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.