Cigar Forums banner

How did you get interested in cigars?

• An experienced cigar smoker introduced me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corner store swishers introduced me and I advanced my tastes.

• I thought cigar smoking might be a fun pastime so went to a cigar store one day.

• Some other crazy event led to my smoking cigars.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
My hubby intro'd me to cigars. I hated the smell of them when he would smoke them. So, he told me to take a puff and the smell wouldn't bother me anymore. I did. Then a few mins later... I asked for another because the smell was bothering me... then again and again until I just started to smoke my own. Now.... 12 years later... well.... I smoke more than him most day! :D

L

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MrsCigarLover said:
My hubby intro'd me to cigars. I hated the smell of them when he would smoke them. So, he told me to take a puff and the smell wouldn't bother me anymore. I did. Then a few mins later... I asked for another because the smell was bothering me... then again and again until I just started to smoke my own. Now.... 12 years later... well.... I smoke more than him most day! :D

L
:r nice story.

CIGma_Chi what crazy event led to your cigar smoking?

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I always enjoyed the cigars that guys would bring to work when they had babies...work with a few casual smokers who actually brought Punch and Cohiba cigars....but wasn't into it too seriously until I went to Nassau on my honeymoon in Oct 2003.....spent a week drinking martinis and smoking ISOMs....some great Romeos, Cohibas and others....and fell in love with it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
None of the above.

My father smoked cigars so I tried his when I was a kid (he smoked Judges Cave and Munniemaker, natural leaf MM cigars from FD Grave). I smoked White Owls with my buddies in high school and other gas stations cigars with my friends until I was about 30.

In 1992, my wife at the time had a subscription to Wine Spectator and they gave out free Volume 1, Number 1 issues of Cigar Aficionado to their subscribers that year.

I read the magazine and visited my local cigar shop looking for some of the cigars they wrote about. This was when I started smoking hand rolled domestics with a Havana or two every now and then.

I didn't see how this fit into any of your categories so I didn't vote.....

·
Registered
882 Posts
LSU_Stogie said:
I was completely trashed and ordered 12 premium cigars from cubancrafters.com, i didn't realise it till i got the e-mail in the morning.
:r That is to funny I guess there couldbe worse ways to find the leaf :D So how much did you spend and what did you buy.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
MM2(SW)S said:
:r That is to funny I guess there couldbe worse ways to find the leaf :D So how much did you spend and what did you buy.
I spent $25 for a 12-pack sampler from cubancrafters.com, I guess its cool, I just wrote a speech on cigars and used the story to my advantage, presenting it on thursday.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
LSU_Stogie said:
I spent $25 for a 12-pack sampler from cubancrafters.com, I guess its cool, I just wrote a speech on cigars and used the story to my advantage, presenting it on thursday.
Love to hear the speech....you should post it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i always wanted to try a cigar. i loved the smell of them and loved the smell of a tobacco shop.

so the one time when i was in a tobacco shop "sniffing around" i bought one and loved it!!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I got most of my vices as an Altar Boy in church. The priest loved to smoke cigars and always had a few laying around the vestibul.

Anyway, every Altar Boy has sampled the wine (usually Port) and the cigars were just a bonus for us to try. Little did we know at that young age we were experiencing the perfect combo.

God works in mysterious ways. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
not really that crazy of an event, but I started working at a tobacco and collectibles shop and just kinda fell into it.

Grinch OUT!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
miketafc said:
I got most of my vices as an Altar Boy in church. The priest loved to smoke cigars and always had a few laying around the vestibul.

Anyway, every Altar Boy has sampled the wine (usually Port) and the cigars were just a bonus for us to try. Little did we know at that young age we were experiencing the perfect combo.

Heh. Who wouldve thunk it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
miketafc said:

Haha, i used to be an altar boy as well, I'm jealous your priest introduced you! What a great story for the grandchildren haha, no sarcasm intended

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I found cigars, or should I say they found me. My first ones were cigars like White Owls, Garcia y Vega, and Phillies back in high school. Then about 2 years ago for some unkown reason I decided to buy a box of JR Alternatives. They were H. Upmann Robustos and weren't too bad if I remember correctly.

After experiencing my first hand rolled sticks, I would pass through Philadelphia and make it a point to stop in at Holts on Walnut Street and pick up a couple $3-5 stogies.

Then of course came Club Stogie. :D Since joining here I have spent more money on cigars in 3 months then I have in 3 years.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Jeff said:
Then of course came Club Stogie. :D Since joining here I have spent more money on cigars in 3 months then I have in 3 years.
I hear that. I dont know about 3 times the amount, but I definently buy a lot more smokes now!!!

·
Can walk again.
8,205 Posts
I play golf at least once per week, of course, you see BOTL everywhere at the course. And one fatefull day, a small shop opened close to the course I play most. I decided to try a premium hand rolled stick, a Macanudo BdR, and was hooked like a fish. I tend to think it even helps my game, because I'm not focusing on it so much, with a good smoke on hand. Sure am glad that little shop opened. Also happy to find Club Stogie.

:ms NCRM

·
Registered
172 Posts
I came to cigars on my own; here is a short version of the story. I was having dinner with my girlfriend's brother, and he was showing me his humidor that he had just bought. He is a golfer, and enjoys a smoke while on the course. Anyways, he had a few ISOMS in the humidor, which he showed me. I thought that the Punch Habano was one of the nicest looking things I had ever seen (except for my girlfriend, of course). The next day I went to the cigar store and told the lady working there that I had never smoked a cigar and that I wanted to try the closest thing to an ISOM that I could get (I live in the US). She gave me a Padron '64 for free, to try. I took it home, made coffee, took it out back with a book and lit it with the wooden matches. I fell in love (obviously, I'm here), and have been going ever since. So, I guess in a way, I was introduced, but I also went and sought out my destruction as well.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.