Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Mayor
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you have noticed one of the public service ads is a link to the ADA. November is diabetes month. I just finished a six week course on the endocrine system and diabetes. It's becoming more prevalent. Here are some figures from 2002
18.2 million people in the US have diabetes and 5.2 million don't know they have it.
It was the 6th leading cause of death(in 2000), that was more than cancer.
Total cost of diabetes(direct & indirect) 132 billion.
If anyone has any questions, I might can help or point you in the right direction with some good links, or suggestions.

J.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mayor said:
I'm sure some of you have noticed one of the public service ads is a link to the ADA. November is diabetes month. I just finished a six week course on the endocrine system and diabetes. It's becoming more prevalent. Here are some figures from 2002
18.2 million people in the US have diabetes and 5.2 million don't know they have it.
It was the 6th leading cause of death(in 2000), that was more than cancer.
Total cost of diabetes(direct & indirect) 132 billion.
If anyone has any questions, I might can help or point you in the right direction with some good links, or suggestions.

J.
Great post Mayor!...I became aware of,and have been living with type 2 (Adult Onset Diabetes) for 10 yrs.Some of the more common symptoms are,increased thirst,frequent urination,unexplained fatigue.or sores that take a long time to heal.If you have experienced any,or all of these symptoms.I strongly suggest you consult your doctor,or at the xery least...avail yourself of the many free Diabetes screening centers that pop up this month in places such as Grocery Stores Walgreens,and or most Pharmacys across the Country.Also I believe most County,and State health agencys offer free screening as well...Diabetes is serious enough in of itself,but it has been linked to Heart,and Kidney disease among other things.Diabetes is like I said,SERIOUS!If you,family,or friends have any doubts...GET CHECKED,or tell them to get checked A.S.A.P.You may be doing yourself,or them a big favor!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Great post, thanks for looking out for all of us. Also, one question out of curiosity, can you still smoke cigars if you have diabetes, and how does that effect your blood sugar level? Well thanks again for a good post.

·
Registered
451 Posts
No sir.Cigar smoking doesn't elevate your blood sugar level...Complex carbohydrates are the main culpret in raising glucose levels in the blood,and persons who have normally functioning Pancreases metabolize these carbohydrates with no problems...Oh hell I almost forgot about Swisher Sweets :pu :D

·
The Mayor
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AF MAN said:
No sir.Cigar smoking doesn't elevate your blood sugar level..
Cigars are ok if you don't inhale. However if you are a diabetic type 1 or 2, and you smoke cigarettes, you must stop immediately.. per the ADA and AACE guidelines.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I have a lot of blood sugar ups & downs & am always eating candy or peanuts to fix it. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes or hypoglycemia. I wonder......

·
The Mayor
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Per ADA guidelines:
Testing in everyone 45 or older. If normal, test every 3 years after(earlier if you have risk factors, obesity, family history, and there are others). There is insufficient evidence to justify 'community screenings', although they may enhance public awareness.

·
Registered
419 Posts
As an ER nurse I see the result of diabetic complications on a daily basis. The sad thing is that we see so many patients simply for noncompliance in dealing with the disease. Medicine does provide the tools and diabetes can be managed if the patient takes responsibility. My mother-in-law has been insulin dependent for 35 years and has yet to present with the all too often seen complications; renal problems, visual problems, vascular issues,etc. Unfortunately she is the exception, not the rule. All too often the patient has absolutely no idea of the nature of the disease, what type of insulin they take, or how often they check their blood sugar if they check it at all. Hard to remain empathetic with the willfully ignorant when you know that a great many of the patients wouldn't have been there if they had taken some responsibility. Frank B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.