Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday after work I took a stroll and sparked up my very first Ashton VSG---the Belicoso No. 1.

It was recommended to me by Jose at the Davidoff on Madison Avenue upon my request for something that resembled the Davidoff Millennium Blend in terms of flavor profile.

It is a very handsome cigar, as many of you know--beautifully constructed with nice dark, sungrown wrapper.

My first impression upon lighting it up was: Wow, this is harsh and bitter tasting. I didn't mind it's pepperiness as much as I did the bitter taste. It seemed to get even more bitter up until a good inch (plus) of the cigar was gone. All of a sudden the finish became creamy, and a flavor (to me) of chocolate mocha completely took over the bitterness. It was heavenly. The draw was perfect and the smoke was voluminous.

My point here is that, considering it took a while for the flavors to get going, I wish the cigar were longer. I had the same experience with an Oliva Series G Robusto. I hated the way the first third of it tasted, but after that it was delicious.

So, I've decided to try to stick to 6 inches and longer from now on. Plus I like the look and feel of a longer cigar. Come on, how elegant does a nice lancero or a churchill look in your hand?

Just my 2 cents.

· Registered
951 Posts
Far be it from me to look too deep into your habits, for mine would make most smokers cry, but how are you lighting the cigar, and are you perhaps getting it too hot or too toasted before you light?

I've personally had a smoke ruined for the first third by a bad light.

Of course, my lighting habits tend to be different from most.

· Not drinking the Kool-aid
470 Posts
Far be it from me to look too deep into your habits, for mine would make most smokers cry, but how are you lighting the cigar, and are you perhaps getting it too hot or too toasted before you light?

Care to explain?

· Registered
951 Posts
Care to explain?
I habitually do weird things to the foot of cigars, in an ever intesifying search to find the "perfect" light.

In the past, I have done things like steaming, baking, soaking, or other extreme measures to get cigars to light better and faster (less heat time).

Last night, for example, I let the foot set (stand rather) in a shallow puddle of scotch. It didn't light as well as I had hoped, but I smoked it anyway after mauling it. The I got drunk.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the thought that my lighting habits are causing this problem has certainly crossed my mind, and I welcome suggestions and input from my fellow brothers and sisters here. the oliva I toasted in my usual manner (which perhaps is too aggressive) with my torch lighter and lit with same and the VGS from yesterday was lit on the street with matches sans toasting.

· Registered
3,509 Posts
if lighting with a torch dont let the flame touch the foot keep the flame half an inch to an inch away. If you dont see smoke coming from the foot you move it a little closer till you see the smoke and the toasting. Never let the the flame touch the foot of the cigar even when lighting keep it a distance.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I think I may need to take it easy a bit when toasting....but I get so anxious!:dr

if lighting with a torch dont let the flame touch the foot keep the flame half an inch to an inch away. If you dont see smoke coming from the foot you move it a little closer till you see the smoke and the toasting. Never let the the flame touch the foot of the cigar even when lighting keep it a distance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.