Cigar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many workplaces, my job is switching to a remote situation more permanently.

My wife and I decided to build a garage at the back of our property. 2/3 of it will be a woodworking shop, and 1/3 will be my new cigar friendly office.

My space will be fully insulated and climate controlled with a mini split system. 8 x 12 ft. Vaulted lean-to-ceiling, 10 ft at the high end, 8 ft at the low end.

It's going to be small but awesome.

For ventilation, I'm just thinking a 300 CFM bathroom fan. Seems like that should handle my single cigar. However, there will be times when I have friends over and we may have four or five sticks going in that small space.

Where do you think I should install my fan? Ceiling? Wall opposite the heating and cooling unit? Tall part of the ceiling? Low part of the ceiling?

300 CFM big enough? Too big?

·
Super Moderator
8,337 Posts
Congratulations! I'm facing a similar decision finishing our basement soon. The dilemma will be noise vs efficiency. May need a quiet full-time exhaust for workaday use like the bathroom fan you mention, but I'd also like a secondary "on-demand" one that moves more air when I want it to. Not sure if that means a completely separate parallel exhaust, or if it's possible to add an in-line booster to ramp up the cfm when needed. My vents will necessarily be overhead.

·
Registered
Anything in the general Robusto/belicosos size roughly
847 Posts
Like many workplaces, my job is switching to a remote situation more permanently.

My wife and I decided to build a garage at the back of our property. 2/3 of it will be a woodworking shop, and 1/3 will be my new cigar friendly office.

My space will be fully insulated and climate controlled with a mini split system. 8 x 12 ft. Vaulted lean-to-ceiling, 10 ft at the high end, 8 ft at the low end.

For ventilation, I'm just thinking a 300 CFM bathroom fan. Seems like that should handle my single cigar. However, there will be times when I have friends over and we may have four or five sticks going in that small space.

Where do you think I should install my fan? Ceiling? Wall opposite the heating and cooling unit? Tall part of the ceiling? Low part of the ceiling?

Unfortunately not very knowledgeable on the subject so can't really help, other than to say that here they have 2 small ones (I'd guess about 6 inch diameter) in the ceiling on opposite sides of the indoor smoking room, which is pretty big, and it works very well even with 10 people smoking cigarettes at once.

I would think that the ceiling anywhere would be best since smoke tends to rise some.

I would also think that 300 cfm would be fine even with a few people smoking at once, as like I said the 2 small ones they have here work great even with a lot of people smoking at once. Its never smokey in there at all

Very envious of anyone with a Cigar room or especially a walk in humidor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,998 Posts

You are obviously a carpenter. As am I when not wrenching classic cars. So you already know about insulating insulation plastic barrier. Calking so smoke cannot escape to other areas. Go with the largest fan you can get. There is no such thing as Too much. Place it high as smoke rises. Good Luck

·
Registered
Both
36 Posts
There is a video on Youtube called "A Non Smoky Cigar Lounge from The Cigar Cellar that may give you really good ideas. That lounge definitely has a serious setup but they address some of your questions about fan placement.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Remember to have an air inlet that can allow outside air to enter the room so you don't [try to] create a vacuum in your smoking room. Otherwise you will get noise from the locations where air is trying to come in, making it feel "drafty". With inadequate air coming in to replace the air going out the fans ability to remove the smokey air will be greatly reduced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts