Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods if this is in the wrong place please move.

I'm wondering how many enjoy a stick while deer hunting? Are you ever worried about there smell keeping deer away? I'm wondering since it is the middle of Wisconsin's gun deer season and I'm debating bringing along a stick. In the area I usually hunt shots are often 50 yards or less so sent control is somewhat important. So what are your experiences?
Thanks
Mark

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
Mods if this is in the wrong place please move.

I'm wondering how many enjoy a stick while deer hunting? Are you ever worried about there smell keeping deer away? I'm wondering since it is the middle of Wisconsin's gun deer season and I'm debating bringing along a stick. In the area I usually hunt shots are often 50 yards or less so sent control is somewhat important. So what are your experiences?
Thanks
Mark
I field hunt out of a blind so I fire up when I want. If I'm in the woods in my stand then I fire one up around lunch. I figure if it's moving at lunch something pushed it and my smoke is the least of it's worries.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
I field hunt out of a blind so I fire up when I want. If I'm in the woods in my stand then I fire one up around lunch. I figure if it's moving at lunch something pushed it and my smoke is the least of it's worries.

Oh yeah I should mention i haven't killed alot of deer lately.. lol

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've been so busy I havent been able to get out as much as I'd like to but when i do I mainly spot and stalk so I try not to smoke cigars or cigarettes.

If the wind is in your face I couldn't imagine a cigar being the worst idea unless the wind is swirling back.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I usually light up a cigar as soon as I'm settled in my stand. The smoke tells me a lot on how the wind is for that day. I've never had a problem with the smell and if a deer comes in while I'm smoking I just drop the cigar to the ground

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
A guy I knew as a kid always came home with deer. Big deer. Freezer filing deer. He sat on a log, in denim jeans, a red plaid coat, hunter orange cap... puffing on Marlboro cigarettes. No such thing as camo, scent killer, blah blah blah...

I don’t see why you can’t have a cigar.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Neither my lab or myself can claim to be a good hunter, but that doesn't stop us from shaking our tails when ever we get out into the woods. When I first started hunting deer I had a friends family take me in to show me the way. That family had a tradition of burning a stick every morning before the hunt. Some really great memories actually, their Grandfather was 92 years old and made me beg to carry his gear. One tough cookie. Anyway the first time I went with them I reluctantly had a smoke with them because I was worried about the smell. Well after said smoke I was in my stand and settled well over an hour before sun up. This stand was on top of a hill on the ground but backed up to a large juniper tree. I actually had a deer walk directly up to me, even bumped me slightly as he walked by. It was an extremely surreal experience, so much so I started wondering if maybe my Haight-Ashbury days had played a horribly rude trick on me. However the deer actually knocked over and kicked my backpack which is where I had put the extra pair of gloves I had used while burning the stick. Wisconsin opener that year was a balmy -15 degrees outside.

Actually had not thought of this trip in a while so I figured I would share. Ive smoked a stick every morning now.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
Great story. Nothin better than a good heartfelt huntin or fishin story

Reactions: CgarDann
1 - 9 of 9 Posts