Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever suffer from this? I do. I go through periods of time where I just can't pick up the more subtle nuances & flavors of cigars. I can tell a good witch from a bad witch, but past that, I really struggle.

I smoked an Oliva X Boomer this evening & really liked it, but my taster just won't pick up flavors like it used to. I did detect a distinct fruity, green apple note in the pre-light flavor, & then, just nice smooth med/med full cigar.

I sure hope this isn't permanent.

There are times when I go for days & everything leaves a bitter finish, or a sweet cloying tone. Sometimes, when I smoke a really good Corojo, like a Camacho, everything else tastes bland for a coupla days.

My theory is that I sniff so much, that I'm deadening my palate. Maybe allergies are also a factor. Whatever it is, it sure is a bummer! :mad:

I've got it! Maybe it's just brain damage! Phew! I was worried there for a while. ;)

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
KHat,

Went away on vacation for a week with no cigars. Caught a cold just after so I didn't smoke a cigar in 2 weeks. When I started again, I found everything bitter and nasty. I even pulled out Cubans that I used to love and found I didn't enjoy them. I'm thinking it was the cold, with my nose plugged up. I daresay you get a lot of the taste in a cigar from retronasal (from your mouth out through your nose) exposure, even if you don't specifically try to blow smoke out your nose. Anything that interferes with your sensory epithelium in your nose will negatively affect your ability to detect aromas, and perhaps the subtleties you enjoy in smokes.

If you have allergies, you may have inflammed tissue in your nose that affects sensory perception.

Just a thought....

Internationalist Liberal SeanGAR

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Alan it might be the Xado fumes filling in the gaps between you taste buds by interacting with worn fillings? New occupational hazard. :D

Xado technology is based on a synthesized blend of minerals coupled with a catalyst. When Xado is introduced into a mechanical system it coats the friction pairs with a blend of ceramic mixed with worn metal it has scavenged from the system (cermet). This coating grows in the presence of friction. When the friction has been reduced enough, the growth stops. This results in a 'custom' fit between the moving parts of a system. Tolerances are optimized, offsetting the inherent play present in mass produced machinery. The surface of the Xado coating is several times harder than steel, with a surface as smooth as if it had been highly polished. It is also extremely resistant to corrosion, so the parts fit better, run smoother and last longer. They also produce less heat when working.

The old chariot awaits its xado.

Hope you feel and can taste better soon.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I too go through stages where my palet is not up to snuff. It tends to occure when there are higher alleergens in the air. I don't have allergies but there is a connection to the pollen counts. And it sucks. If at dinner I need to put tons of pepper on my food to taste it then I tend to smoke a cheaper stick. If at dinner time all is good and I can taste everything fine I go for a better smoke. What I am getting at I to have noticed this and thought it was just me, so I am somewhate relieved to hear I am not the only one.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Da Klugs said:
Alan it might be the Xado fumes filling in the gaps between you taste buds by interacting with worn fillings? New occupational hazard. :D

Xado technology is based on a synthesized blend of minerals coupled with a catalyst. When Xado is introduced into a mechanical system it coats the friction pairs with a blend of ceramic mixed with worn metal it has scavenged from the system (cermet). This coating grows in the presence of friction. When the friction has been reduced enough, the growth stops. This results in a 'custom' fit between the moving parts of a system. Tolerances are optimized, offsetting the inherent play present in mass produced machinery. The surface of the Xado coating is several times harder than steel, with a surface as smooth as if it had been highly polished. It is also extremely resistant to corrosion, so the parts fit better, run smoother and last longer. They also produce less heat when working.

there you go hat. A very good scientific explanation for your condition.;)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Every now and than you just need to rough sandpaper your tongue.

It hurts for the first day, but you're taste will return.

WARNING: Do not try this with a Black & Decker rotatational

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Da Klugs said:

I may have to plagarize you Klugsie! Very concise & easy to understand.

The Xado approaches on winged feet.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
kansashat said:
I smoked an Oliva X Boomer this evening & really liked it, but my taster just won't pick up flavors like it used to. I did detect a distinct fruity, green apple note in the pre-light flavor, & then, just nice smooth med/med full cigar.
You're picking up green apple.... Those four unknown stogies got ya psyched, eh? Well, then just do the two round headed ones and let the other two rest..

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm glad someone else experiences this problem, for quite some time I thought I was the only one. I have gone as long as a month with this malady. Hope you don't suffer from it as long as this.

I really don't know why I have this problem. Sometimes I think it is post nasal drip. :pu Sometimes I think I have smoked too many cigars in a row (can that be? :confused: ).

The good news is that my taster has always come back! :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
oh man. now I'm worried. I hesitate to put up any reviews of cigars I have smoked mainly because of this. I can tell you if I enjoyed the cigar, but I can't really tell you what I've tasted. I'm hoping it's just being a newbie and not anything permanent. Eek!

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I think I may have the reverse problem. Because my pallate is so young, some things seem a bit harsh and overpowering. Think I need to season my tongue and develop a layer of stogie film on it. :D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
miketafc said:
Every now and than you just need to rough sandpaper your tongue.

It hurts for the first day, but you're taste will return.

WARNING: Do not try this with a Black & Decker rotatational
damd ... I with I wed thad wardind bebowe i did dith

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SeanGAR said:
If you have allergies, you may have inflammed tissue in your nose that affects sensory perception.

Just a thought....

Internationalist Liberal SeanGAR
Political differences aside ;) , I think you may have something there. I analyzed how I puff a cigar & I have a regimen that may be causing inflamed sinus tissue.

1. Puff
2. French inhale some smoke through the nose.
3. Blow back out through the sinus.
4. Wave cigar under nose.
5. Puff
6. French inhale.....

I gave a friend a cigar one day. I saw him the next day & he had a red mark on his nose. I asked what happened. Well, you know..... :r

·
Registered
904 Posts
kansashat said:
Political differences aside ;) , I think you may have something there. I analyzed how I puff a cigar & I have a regimen that may be causing inflamed sinus tissue.

1. Puff
2. French inhale some smoke through the nose.
3. Blow back out through the sinus.
4. Wave cigar under nose.
5. Puff
6. French inhale.....

I gave a friend a cigar one day. I saw him the next day & he had a red mark on his nose. I asked what happened. Well, you know..... :r
Are you sure you didn't do this

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.