• Use a punch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By other means

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have used punches, v-cutters, and double gullotienes. Oh yeah cheapy single blades as well.

I prefer my Xikar and my palio cutters. Next is my colibri V-cutter. Then i use a punch cutter for really large ring cigars. Sometime i will punch 2 or 3 holes in the cigar.

The key to a good cut is a good cutter. If you are having trouble with your cutting it is either you need a better cutter, or you need to make a faster more decisive stroke to your cut.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Xikar cutters (one for home and one in my travel case), and a backup is my Colibri mutlifunction lighter which has a punch mechanism on the bottom of it. I like the action of cutting and hearing the crisp *snip*....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
since I just got a new xikar, it's my favorite. Before that it was either cheapo from the shop or teeth! :p

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have began doing a combonation of the two and it seems to work very well. I use a normal guillotine cutter but instead of quickly chopping it, I just put a small amout of pressure on the cigar with the blade and rotate the cigar holding that pressure.

The end result is just the cap being cut and after that you can just remove it, exposing the cigar. It has a much bigger opening than the punch, but it doesn't distroy cigars like the cutter does (especially if you are using a free cutter I got with a online cigar order!)

·
Theoretician
235 Posts
I use a cutter on all but the most fragile cigars. Those I'll use a very sharp punch on. I find that, generally speaking, the cutter opens the cap more fully, permitting air flow through the full circumference of the cigar and preventing dead spots and the inceased accumulation of tar at the head that I sometimes get with the punch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.