1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shelly's Back Room
1331 F Street NW
Washington, DC 20004

• For those of you not familiar with Washington, we're on F Street, between 13th and 14th, right in the middle of the block. You'll see a green awning and a wooden Native American.

We are two blocks from the White House, and one block from the National Theater and Ford's Theater. The Verizon Center is a 5-minute cab ride away. We are half a block from the Metro Center Station, directly across from the National Press Building's 13th Street entrance.

Hours of operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:30 am-2:00 am
Friday 11:30 am-3:00 am
Saturday 12:00 noon-3:00 am
Sunday 12:00 noon-1:00 am

E-Maill: [email protected]

Smoking was banned last year in DC. Shellys Back Room is the only restaurant in DC where you can still smoke.

Shelly's Back Room is one of a kind in Washington, DC, a comfortable retreat for cigar aficionados and those who simply want to unwind. Our casual but elegant space features soft lighting, cozy couches and over-stuffed chairs.

Shelly's Back Room is a cigar-friendly establishment, but our state of the art air-purification system keeps the atmosphere comfortable for smokers and non-smokers alike. Sit back and enjoy yourself while chatting with friends or watching high-definition TV.

CIGARS
Shelly's Back Room carries a unique and unparalleled selection of premium cigars. It is one of the few, if any, places in DC for aficionados to enjoy a truly fine meal, quality libation and excellent cigar. Non-smokers are also welcome. Our state-of-the-art air-purification system keeps the air clean and fresh. Our knowledgeable staff is happy to assist you in selecting a cigar from Washington's best-stocked humidor. We also satisfy special requests. Just ask!

Humidors
We are proud to offer 100 temperature and humidity controlled, private lockers for you to store your cigars; Avoid the hassle of bringing them with you, reserve a humidor today

Drinks
Our drink list is most impressive. It includes over 50 scotch selections, rare bourbons, rums, ports, cordials and premium wines. We offer 25 beers. We will mix a cocktail any way that suits you.

Menu
Shelly's features an impressive selection of dishes for both lunch and dinner. If you're looking for a late night bite after a game or show, our kitchen welcomes you.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Re: DC - Shelly's Back Room

My old man loves this place! I have heard so many good stories about the nights at Shelly's. I hope to make it there next time Im in town.

·
OLUA
904 Posts

Love shelly's, one of only a couple places to smoke in DC, I like to get there when i can.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Love shelly's, one of only a couple places to smoke in DC, I like to get there when i can.
Shelly's is nice and a good place to find other BOTL, but it's an expensive habit.. And cigars is an expensive habit enough for me :)

I was REALLY tempted to get humidor space there, though. But then you need a large deposit, etc and then I remembered I live in Virginia and have plenty of bars/lounges to choose from :)

·
Misplaced
6,385 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts

I was in town for a 3 day conference and went to Shelly's on Sunday & Monday night with some work buddies to catch some football, relax, and of course kick back & smoke.

What a great place! Very comfortable, lots of friendly BOTLs (one guy overheard my buddy & I talking about baseball and offered advice on my son's college/draft prospects.) Lots of room, the cigar prices are pretty steep but you can BYO, and the bar selection is great. One of the best things about Shelly's is definitely the air purification system--it's top notch. The place was pretty full both nights and we spent more than an hour there smoking, but our clothes didn't stink at all.

Highly recommended!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just enjoyed a glass of Belvenie 17 and a LP T-52. Next time i'm in DC, I will be back. :)

·
Gideon Mayhak
21 Posts
I'm going to be in D.C. on the 18th for work, and I'm hoping to have dinner at Shelly's. I was wondering if anyone might like to recommend anything off the menu, as there are always so many delicious choices and only one stomach. I hate to dine alone, though I'm willing to do so for a nice place like this. However, I wouldn't mind company if any of you would like to stop by. I can't offer to pay for your meal, but I can try to offer some decent conversation.

I'm also hoping to have a nice smoke while I'm there, and I figured it would be best to try something they have on hand instead of bringing something with. Now, I'm not a big spender right now, so I have to keep it somewhat light. Any recommendations for something under $15 (looks like under $10 is asking too much based on their website; but hey: gotta splurge sometimes!)? I'm just getting started in the hobby, so I haven't developed a specific taste for anything. I'm just looking to try something I may not have another chance to check out for a while.

And finally: I'm not an alcohol drinker. I mostly drink tea and coffee. Do any of you know if they have good coffee?

Oh, and it sounds like a fairly casual place. No super fancy dress code, I presume?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven't had much to eat there so can't recommend anything off hand if you're looking for a nice meal. It's good food though, think I've had a wrap for lunch there and a burger that's about it. For smokes I'm pretty sure you can find anything they sell at Drapers which is around the corner and is still expensive but probably less than Shelley's prices. I haven't had coffee or tea there and can't speak on that. Definitely casual place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts