492 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  cigarsinheaven 
#1 ·
Davicici Exhibicion B
Wrapper: Ecuodoran Sumutra
Binder & Filler: Nicaraguian
Sixe: 7x48
Strength: Medium-Full
Ash: Strong white ash
Price: Aound $5-6 (Really can't remember)

Upon a visit to my regular b&m (Humidor World Finest Cigars/Brandon, MS) where the selection is good, prices are fair and a decently knowledgeable staff, it was suggested that I try the new Davinici they had gotten in since my last visit. So I bought one as described above - dropped it in the humidor for a few days and here are the results.

On the morning I removed it for smoking my humidor read 73/71.

Aesthetics and Construction: It is a good looking cigar smooth texture, no large or unseemly veins, well rolled, no construction problems that could be seen with the eyes. On looks and construction I will give the Davinici a nine.

Prelight Draw: It was a little tight for my taste but o.k. Reminded me of the draw I often get from a Punch.

This being my first Davinici I wanted to give it all the benefits of the doubt and after all from the looks and construction I felt I was going to be in for a treat, so I carefully cut, toasted and lit the cigar. As I figured the draw was a little tight which required a little work getting it lit. (I also think it would be better smoked at around 67 humidity.)

After attaining a good light I was having trouble getting enough smoke to really taste the cigar. It was almost like one of those smokes where you have to draw so hard it gives you a headache. By now I'm a little disappointed it doesn't seem to be delivering what the looks and construction promised. By the time I was thinking I hope I can make it through this - I actually caught a flavor of something I could not identify, this was the the first real taste of anything, but at least it was something, enough to make me decide to stick with it.

The start of the second third sealed my decision to keep an open mind about the Davinici. The burn improved greatly as did the smoke supply and even though I still can't discern the tastes( maybe a more discerning palate can help me) it was pleasant. Now, I'm thinking this cigar is not half bad. A little further along I'm thinking "as a matter of fact this cigar is pretty good." The second third required a relight which may have had more to do with my being distracted for a while than any fault of the cigar. The relight did not result in any harshness or bitterness which was a pleasant surprise. Remember, I'm still not sold on this cigar it has only rated a pretty good so far, not a good or a "damn good."

The last third did live up to my hopes. All draw issues seem to have dissipated, rich, thick, tastefull smoke bellowed out and I'm now thinking "yes this is a 'good' cigar.

Will I buy another one? Yes. Will it ever be one of my favorite smokes? Doubtful. Was it woth the money? Yes, but there are too many other cigars that I enjoy more for the money. I really think a lower humidity would have really helped the burn and taste issues that I had.

The Davinici kind of remind me of the old church story about the lady who went home from church and was telling her husband about how good the pastor preached. He asked her what he preached about she thought for a moment and said "I can't remember what it was about but it sure was good." I don't know why but it sure was good. Overall I would rate the Davinici a 7.5 out of 10.

cigarsinheaven

See less See more
#2 ·
this is one of my goto smokes-haven't had any trouble w/burn or draw, but i keep mine between 62% & 66%, so that may explain it-oliva supplies the wrapper (that's the OTC, not oliva cigars) & it tastes damn good to me-boxes can be had fairly cheap, $50 to $60 IIRC-i'd encourage anyone who like their smokes med/full to try one-for the $ what do ya got to lose?

#3 ·
this is one of my goto smokes-haven't had any trouble w/burn or draw, but i keep mine between 62% & 66%, so that may explain it-oliva supplies the wrapper (that's the OTC, not oliva cigars) & it tastes damn good to me-boxes can be had fairly cheap, $50 to $60 IIRC-i'd encourage anyone who like their smokes med/full to try one-for the $ what do ya got to lose?
wharfrathoss, I agree I think the humidity and smoker's inattention was a factor. That's why I seldom judge a cigar on one smoking unless it is just garbage.

cigarsinheaven

#4 ·
I am glad you liked it. For me, it was the worst handmade cigar I have smoked in over 10 years of smoking cigars. The taste was horrible. So bad in fact that I put pitched it after about an inch or two. The taste left in my mouth was so bad I couldnt grab another cigar because the taste would have been ruined. I hope the one I had was just a fluke.

Just my :2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.