Cigar Forums banner

Custom Rolls? and How awesome is Asmartbull? Very

1K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  asmartbull 
#1 ·
Howdy All:

I hope you are doing great.

Two things for this thread. Firstly how awesome is Asmartbull (Al)? He had asked about a Cohiba Lancero so I sent him one along with some other sticks- http://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/habanos-discussion/285927-aea6574-tony-above-beyond.html

Then yesterday I come out to the mailbox to find a package full of just wonderful cigars. Not sure if I will get the spelling right but here we go:

1- Handsome Jimmy Pyramide
2- Carlos Fernandez Customs
2- LGC Tainos from 07

Just an wonderful package and I cannnot thank Al enough. I will post pictures later of these beautiful cigars.

Now a question or several- Can someone inform more about Custom Rolls? I have heard about Johnny O's and I know of at least one vendor that offers their own. I have not heard of the two above so I am interested to learn more. Al, I know you will probably know a lot about the ones you sent me but I would also like to know more in general. Are these guys that are just so great at rolling that people will line up to get their cigars? What type of tobacco do they use? Are these ready to smoke right away or should they be aged? Can someone direct to sources for these? Or are these of the forbidden fruit?

Best regards, tony

See less See more
#2 ·
Custom rolls are generally from "traveling rollers." They will visit various LCdHs and roll smokes for patrons of the shop. Generally speaking they are some of the best rollers Cuba has to offer. When they go to different shops around the world they bring Cuban tobacco with them. Because of this, we can't discuss the vendors that offer customs. As for age, same as most Cubans.

#4 ·
This particular topic has sparked an interest in me. I find that there is a mystic about these. It's almost like the forbidden fruit thing when I was seeking out isom's.

I've had a couple of different ones but it sounds like there is a lot more out there to experience.

Great hit Alan.

Jeff

#10 ·
Very nice. Al has been very quick to respond to every message I sent and is never too busy to answer my questions. Great guy........after all he is a MARINE! OOH RAH. Enjoy those smokes they look tasty.

Semper Fi,
Mr. Friday

#12 ·
Here are some special things about those custom cigars you should know:

Both Handsome Jimmy and Carlos Fernandez were among the few top rollers at the Partagas factory.
Both now roll for LCdH around the world, but primarily in Mexico.
The cigars they roll are phenomenal, the feel and draw are artwork.
The tobacco they use generally is selected from the best available at the Partagas factory.
Often The tobacco is already well aged and mature.
Sometimes the tobacco is not as well aged, or the roller does something very unusual with it.
Handsome Jimmy was intentionally rolling sweet cigars without ligero. Some love them, some not so much.
A number of us have Carlos Fernandez cigars with double ligero. Again, its a matter of taste.
Most custom cigars smoke well right away. I've smoked them literally off the table.
Both Jimmy and Carlos are great guys, I've met them both.
We can't talk about sources because even though these aren't Habanos, they are truly Cuban.
Fire one up soon. Not everyone loves these, but I promise you they are unlike anything you've ever smoked.

Nice one Bull!

#16 ·
One of the vendors I deal with sells custom rolls and I've read some good reviews about them. I've been hemming and hawing about pulling the trigger on getting some, but after seeing these pics, I suppose some decisions become no-brainers.

nicely done again,Al.

enjoy those smokes.

#17 ·
A question on custom rolls - the J-O's are fairly reasonable compared to their authorized counterparts in the $6-8 range, but other rolls are almost double the cost of non Cohiba or Trini counterparts in that vitola. Are they worth the cost? I can get Party Shorts or RASCC for ~$100 a box, but 25 bespoke petite coronas run $185, or the robustos at $235, and I think if I'm going to pay that money why shouldn't I just get CoRos or Siglo II's?

#18 ·
A question on custom rolls - the J-O's are fairly reasonable compared to their authorized counterparts in the $6-8 range, but other rolls are almost double the cost of non Cohiba or Trini counterparts in that vitola. Are they worth the cost? I can get Party Shorts or RASCC for ~$100 a box, but 25 bespoke petite coronas run $185, or the robustos at $235, and I think if I'm going to pay that money why shouldn't I just get CoRos or Siglo II's?
You buy the CoRo's
I compare everything to the CoRo....Perhaps the best cigar at that price point.......IMO..

#19 ·
My thoughts exactly. Custom rolls are fancy schmancy and every body wants them. Many times the are a disappointment at best.

#21 ·
Let me add just one thought.
I believe customs have their place.
If I was lucky enough to visit Cuba and have one right off the table, I would.
If I get to the point that my regular production needs are met, the customs
are the next logical venture. I look forward to that day...

#22 ·
Ok, had the LGC Tainos last night and WOW what a great cigar that lasted a looooong time.

Here are my notes-
Started at 7:55 and paired with a London Pride to start. The cigar had a great pre-light draw after snipping with the Palio. Lit right up with the first match and the draw was smooth and not tight. There was not a lot of smoke.

8:37 and was still in the first third and have now switched to a Bell's Batch 1000. Fire is burning great and sons are hanging out with me, good time for Father's day weekend.

9:00 into second third and now onto a Bell's Winter White that I had left over from winter. Youngest son is having hot dogs over the fire.

9:38 and onto the last third. with a Bell's Oberon their summertime beer.

10:20 and the cigar has finished. What a great cigar all the way through.

Here are some pictures-

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.